cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 09:06 PM   #11
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
As I was fortunate enough to be one of Farrah's guinea pigs, I can tell you that everything was fabulous!
You really should try the laab. It is as good, if not better than the Nam Tok.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:09 AM   #12
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
BFM, I made the Nam Tok (waterfall beef) you posted, and I really liked the mint and lime flavors in it. But, I think the marinade might have dried the meat out a little, there was no oil in it.

I didn't have trouble finding any of the ingredients except for the kaffir lime leaves for the coconut soup. If Jeff Lebowski is still interested, I can post the recipe I used.

I didn't put peppers in anything, because there were kids and an adult there who didn't like spicy foods.. but I made a hot sauce to put over the pad thai and the soup to make it spicy. I heated up a can of coconut milk, added a couple Tbsp of red curry paste, blended up 10 thai chilies with a little water, and added that to the coconut milk with 1 Tbsp of fish sauce.

So thanks! I'll keep experimenting.
Mrs. Meanie made Nam Tok tonight and it was some of the best she's ever made. I asked her to experiment and find a way to make it more tender. Here is what she came up with:

- Get flank steak (or maybe tenderloin) instead of top sirloin. The flank steak is more marbled and thus will be more tender
- Grill/sear the flank steak before marinating. 4-5 minutes on each side to a medium doneness (the steak should be a light pink in the middle)
- Let the steak sit 10-15 minutes after grilling. If you cut the steak immediately you will lose juice
- Cut the steak and then marinate.

This was about the most tender Nam Tok I've ever had - not tough at all. I would be interested to see if you have success with this technique as well.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:16 AM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
You really should try the laab. It is as good, if not better than the Nam Tok.
I'm relieved that you spelled that with one "a".

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:37 AM   #14
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I forgot to mention before, BFM-- I have made the Laab a couple times now, and I really like it. It is a really easy, quick meal to make that has a lot of flavor. Thanks for sharing.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote