cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2008, 02:37 PM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mindful, would you mind

posting some of your favorite Persian recipes on the board? I've had and made a lot of Arab and Mediterranean food, but I'm not as familiar with Persian food. I'd love to give it a shot. Perhaps something like a Persian 101 recipe. Thanks!
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

It's good. They have mixed rices with raisins, lots of great shishkabobs. It is very tasty.

I'd love to have a good recipe for the rice with raisins.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

A nice lubia polo on a cold day is always yummy.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:20 PM   #4
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It's good. They have mixed rices with raisins, lots of great shishkabobs. It is very tasty.

Oh, well, YOhio LOVES raisins.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:45 PM   #5
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
posting some of your favorite Persian recipes on the board? I've had and made a lot of Arab and Mediterranean food, but I'm not as familiar with Persian food. I'd love to give it a shot. Perhaps something like a Persian 101 recipe. Thanks!
After offering my apology for being late in this thread.. i have to tell you that iranian foods are absolutely appealing and you would actually be surprised with tremendous varieties ,featuring each province.

being already familiar with Arab and Mediterranean meals , you would have a very pleasent time taking first steps to befriend with iranian foods.

for those who might not have a clue about iranian foods here are some quick tips :

the first and formost point in iranian cuisine is "time" because the foods have to be pretty much well-down and succulent , which means row meal has "NO" place in iranian food culture.
so if you are on holiday or taking some days off and in a very good mood to cook patiently ,it would be a perfect time to try iranian foods.

Although there is no dominant taste governing iranian foods (like what we see in mexicans and indians ) ..but foods coming from south, are identified as hot and spicy while northern foods are garlic everfriends.

iranians are quite conservative when it comes to traditional food ..so they would love to make the everlasting impression with keeping the recipes untouched.

here is the link of an authentic iranian comprehensive cook book named "art of cooking" which i highly recommend .

http://personal.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Pers...tarian/recipes

you might find it flattering but i am really having a hard time to pick and name some of my favorite foods due to being surrounded by plenty of greatly favorable ones.

that being said ..my first priority would be roast duck with special filling .( containing ..pomegranate ,plum..herbs ,nuts , onion and spices)

and the second one is "Dolme Barge Mow" which are stuffed grape leaf mostly served as appetizer.

here you could find the recipe and the rest of the information :

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...IR213%26sa%3DN

the last thing which i should not forget is rice ,and the way its cooked and served with traditional stews .its actaully considered as an art to cook rice and let every single grain has its special place to dance.

the rice in my avatar is known as " Morasah polow" by the way . you could look for the recipe in the aformentioned link, if interested.

Iranians just dnot know how to be a bad cook !

Last edited by Mindfulcoug; 03-20-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Mindfulcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:49 PM   #6
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

you probably are talking about Turkish Kabob .because iranian rice mixed with raisins doesnot accompany Kabab ,rather well-down juicy large pieces of meat.
Mindfulcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:54 PM   #7
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

While I can't claim to have experienced the entire range of Persian cuisine, I can say that a meal consisting of Persian kebobs, rice, and grilled tomatoes that I had 8 years ago is still the best meal I've ever had. The guy showed us how to make it and it involved a couple different kinds of ground meat (I think) and a whole bunch of spices and such. Incredible.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:04 PM   #8
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a Persian restaurant across the street from my office. It is very good food and seems pretty authentic (of course I really don't know). I think a trip there this week is caleld for.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:21 PM   #9
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
Oh, well, YOhio LOVES raisins.
I'll just substitute with chocolate chips.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:24 PM   #10
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Thanks for the tips mindful. The pride you show in your native cuisine is endearing. I'll give some of the dishes on the site you posted a try in the next few months.