cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2008, 09:15 PM   #51
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAg View Post
that isn't protraying the negative views you think it is, I particularly like this paragraph

MOST of even the most bigoted students respected and understood his faith. Not only that but he finishes by saying he experienced a WHOLE LOT MORE tolerance than intolerance.

this was supposed to HELP your claims?
are you saying the corps is the most bigoted collection of students on campus?

serious question. I have no idea.

also, what percent of the corps actually goes on to a military career versus those who never are military?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:28 PM   #52
TexasAg

TexasAg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
As a Muslim in the Corps of Cadets(supposedly the most bigoted of all students),
Honestly I thought that was what he was implying by this statement b/c he put the comment in parentheses after Cadets instead of Muslim.

Not sure about the % that go onto the military.
TexasAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:31 PM   #53
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Honestly I thought that was what he was implying by this statement b/c he put the comment in parentheses after Cadets instead of Muslim.

Not sure about the % that go onto the military.
I heard it was 50%.

What are the motivations of someone who does 4 years of ROTC without really intending to go into the military?

I myself did one semester of ROTC. I can't imagine doing it for 4 years without intending to be an officer.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:36 PM   #54
TexasAg

I dont' really know why someone would do that other than if they enjoy the military mindset, discipline and basically how it looks when they are through with college. I have a relative that graduated from The Citadel who did not enlist in the military and he attributes alot of his success to having gone through that type of program. Plus he just flat out enjoyed it.

As far as doing that for 4 years and NOT becoming an officer, not sure what to say. I was premed in college but I am NOT a physician, I was through going to school by the time I graduated.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:40 PM   #55
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
I dont' really know why someone would do that other than if they enjoy the military mindset, discipline and basically how it looks when they are through with college. I have a relative that graduated from The Citadel who did not enlist in the military and he attributes alot of his success to having gone through that type of program. Plus he just flat out enjoyed it.

As far as doing that for 4 years and NOT becoming an officer, not sure what to say. I was premed in college but I am NOT a physician, I was through going to school by the time I graduated.
So what did you think when Mike Leach called the corps (at least some of them) "fake soldiers".

Is that a fair criticism? That it is basically a frat?

What do you think of people that call the Corps "a&m's official frat"?
Old 03-19-2008, 09:51 PM   #56
TexasAg

Well, they AREN'T real soldiers so it honestly doesn't bother me. He is just pointing out the obvious and trying to make a joke where there isn't one. No one is a soldier IMO until they are IN the US Military. That goes for the cadets at The Citadel, Virginia Tech and so on too. I don't think I have to tell them they have fake soldiers though, it's kind of a given. A&M does have a good reputation however for it's contributions to the military over the years.

As far as it being a frat, that I don't agree with. But I understand why it be would considered A&M's official frat b/c of it's history at A&M and how so many of the traditions originated from the corps.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:56 PM   #57
FMCoug

FMCoug

Everyone should have the experience at least once in their lifetime of having a discussion about A&M and the corps with a hardcore corps of cadets type of A&M grad. WAY over the top. I even met one older guy who is still pissed that they changed it to an optional thing. No I'm not kidding.

And they say we are a cult.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:25 PM   #58
TexasAg

No offense to the corps(I appreciate it's contributions to the US military and A&M) but A&M would not be what it is today if it stayed corps-mandatory.

You met what us Ags refer to as a 'Red Ass'. The opposite end of the spectrum are the '2%ers'.

Last edited by TexasAg; 03-19-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:18 PM   #59
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
that isn't protraying the negative views you think it is, I particularly like this paragraph

MOST of even the most bigoted students respected and understood his faith. Not only that but he finishes by saying he experienced a WHOLE LOT MORE tolerance than intolerance.

this was supposed to HELP your claims?
Nobody is saying that every Aggie is bigoted, but only that the bigoted view against minority religions is easily tolerated, or wink-winked at by the majority. TAM appears to exhibit the opposite end of the PC spectrum, where intolerance although perhaps not shared by all or a majority, is widely tolerated.

The Aggie code appears to be a farce.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:27 PM   #60
TexasAg

Intolerance is NOT widely tolerated if most are not intolerant as the Muslim Ag said himself

The Aggie Code does not mention religion at all.