cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 04:11 AM   #11
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecoug View Post
If sushi tasted good, then I would eat it.
Amen. LOL. See we do have some common ground.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:49 AM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I love sushi. LOVE SUSHI. Regarding Seattle's comment on the unhealthy rice, I would prefer a whole-grain-rice maki, but that's not offered here.

Flash eats sashimi, but I'm all roll. Eel Roll is probably my favorite.

If I could find all you can eat sushi I'd be there everyday.
Thirteen measely bucks gets you a salad, miso soup, sashimi, poki, or any one of a panoply of culinary delights.

I once added up eighty to ninety dollars I consumed. And Marrissa does a good job keeping my glass full.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:04 PM   #13
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Mrs. Meanie and I took a sushi class last month. I learned how to make all kinds of sushi, proper knife skills, how to make the rice, wasabi, etc. how to buy the fish, eel, shrimp, and crab, how to make the inside-out roll (rice on the outside). It was blast.

Next week we're hosting a sushi party for my boss and coworkers. I love sushi. The only problem is that once you start making your own sushi, the whole mystique and exoticness (is that a word?) wears off. Last week I was at a sushi place in SLC and found myself thinking "I could make this - $10 for this roll is such a ripoff!". It takes a bit of the fun out of going to get sushi (kind of like how I never order spaghetti in a restaurant - why pay for something you could make just as well, if not better, at home?).
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:27 PM   #14
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
Mrs. Meanie and I took a sushi class last month. I learned how to make all kinds of sushi, proper knife skills, how to make the rice, wasabi, etc. how to buy the fish, eel, shrimp, and crab, how to make the inside-out roll (rice on the outside). It was blast.

Next week we're hosting a sushi party for my boss and coworkers. I love sushi. The only problem is that once you start making your own sushi, the whole mystique and exoticness (is that a word?) wears off. Last week I was at a sushi place in SLC and found myself thinking "I could make this - $10 for this roll is such a ripoff!". It takes a bit of the fun out of going to get sushi (kind of like how I never order spaghetti in a restaurant - why pay for something you could make just as well, if not better, at home?).
We used to do rolls occasionally at home, but we took a cue from our Japanese friends and started doing te-maki sushi. Basically, you cut your nori (seaweed) sheets in quarters using scissors and then put all of the ingredients in the midddle of the table (sushi rice, crab, avocado, cucumber, daikon, etc.). You just take a quarter sheet of nori in your hand, pile on what you want, roll it up and pop it in your mouth. Very easy to prepare and fun to eat.

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 05-31-2007 at 11:29 PM.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:18 AM   #15
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

i'd like to know how to buy raw tuna, salmon, etc. just to eat good, cheap sashimi at home. is that possible? the mystique means nothing to me.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:02 AM   #16
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
i'd like to know how to buy raw tuna, salmon, etc. just to eat good, cheap sashimi at home. is that possible? the mystique means nothing to me.
Yes - it's possible. If you're in Salt Lake you want to go to Aquarius fish market. It's downtown next to Tony Caputos. Many of the sushi restaurants in town buy from them. They open at 10:00 or 11:00 a.m. and are usually picked clean by 1:00 p.m. You can call earlier in the morning and they'll tell you what is coming in that day.

They have yellowtail tuna which isn't too expensive. 90% of tuna in sushi/sashimi is yellowtail. Occasionally they have bluefin but the minimum order is 2kg so you're looking at around $100 for an order of bluefin. They have atlantic farm-raised salmon which you don't need to freeze before using it raw and they have wild Alaskan salmon which you will need to freeze before using it raw.

According to my sushi teacher, it's better to buy crab (such as Alaskan King crab) frozen - they freeze it directly at the processing plant. The crab legs you see sitting on ice at the supermarket are probably best left untouched - you don't know how long it's been unfrozen and sitting on ice. Same with shrimp - they're best bought frozen.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:13 AM   #17
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
We used to do rolls occasionally at home, but we took a cue from our Japanese friends and started doing te-maki sushi. Basically, you cut your nori (seaweed) sheets in quarters using scissors and then put all of the ingredients in the midddle of the table (sushi rice, crab, avocado, cucumber, daikon, etc.). You just take a quarter sheet of nori in your hand, pile on what you want, roll it up and pop it in your mouth. Very easy to prepare and fun to eat.
This is usually how my family does it too, much easier to feed a bunch of people this way.

I love sushi, but I'm content to eat it occasionally.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:46 PM   #18
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
I love sushi, but I'm content to eat it occasionally.
I can get tired of sushi after eating it a lot after years and years. When I go to sushi bars I find myself doing a lot of experimenting with all kinds of fishes and combinations. I actually think it's kind of overrated as a gourmet item unless some creative and fancy things are done to it jazz it up.

My former father in law was Japanese and we used to have a New Year's feast making all kinds of sushi.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 04:57 AM   #19
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Me and the wifey eat sushi at least twice a week.

If anyone wants to know where the best sushi in SLC is, it's right by the Melting Pot and is called Takashi.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:39 PM   #20
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
About once a week. My kids love it.
Once per week isn't right. Once or twice a month is probably more accurate.