cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which style of fois gras do you prefer?
The pate style French fois gras 9 42.86%
The sliced organ U.S. style fois gas 2 9.52%
Neither, I don't eat fierce food 10 47.62%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2007, 10:36 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Fois gras

It has been said that to eat fois gras the way the French make it is itself worth a trip to France. I think there is a lot of truth to this saying. (Regrettably, few here could possibly have enjoyed it properly because it requires a rich, full bodied red wine as an accompaniment.)

I've enjoyed fois gras many times in the U.S. and in France. There they make this mouse or pate style of fois gras with this indescribable rich and buttery flaver. Here invariably they've brought me a dish with something that resembles the actual organ sliced thin and sauteed in butter and seasonings. I like this kind a lot, but not nearly as much as the way they do it in France. I don't understand why you can't get the kind I eat in France here. The closest place I've seen it is in a little French restaurant in Vancouver B.C. But that's three hours from my house on a good traffic day.

Which do you prefer?

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 06-03-2007 at 10:41 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:47 PM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Foie gras is only for those not cultured enough for peanut butter.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:18 AM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I prefer to ignore that foul smelling stuff, as well as that expenisve Russian caviar, so that I can eat something edible.

The French and Chinese are wont to use animal parts meant for discarding because it hearkens back to times when real food was nonexistent. Now that real animal parts exist in abundance, I refuse to condone the eating of bad body parts.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:42 AM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Your fois gras is about to become even more difficult to obtain, SU. I read recently where the only two remaining farms in the US to produce fois gras are being forced to close by pressure from animal rights activists. (For those who may not know, fois gras is a special type of duck liver that is produced by force-feeding the ducks with grain far beyond what they normally eat. They do it by shoving a tube down the ducks' throats.)

I have only eaten fois gras once in the US, so I can't answer your question. All I know is that the few times I went to France, just about everything I ate that was made from duck tasted heavenly. I do remember the "duck liver pate" was terrific. Not sure if it was technically "fois gras". Perhaps it was.

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 06-04-2007 at 12:44 AM.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:05 AM   #5
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Your fois gras is about to become even more difficult to obtain, SU. I read recently where the only two remaining farms in the US to produce fois gras are being forced to close by pressure from animal rights activists. (For those who may not know, fois gras is a special type of duck liver that is produced by force-feeding the ducks with grain far beyond what they normally eat. They do it by shoving a tube down the ducks' throats.)
What's the world coming to.

Quote:
I have only eaten fois gras once in the US, so I can't answer your question. All I know is that the few times I went to France, just about everything I ate that was made from duck tasted heavenly. I do remember the "duck liver pate" was terrific. Not sure if it was technically "fois gras". Perhaps it was.
I would say yes it's probably the same thing if you ate that in France.

—Paul Auster
Old 06-04-2007, 03:40 AM   #6
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL! The Seattle Ute response to the Crunchy v. Creamy Peanut Butter debate is to ask if one prefer's the French or US style of fois gras.

I have only had fois gras in the US, so I vote American! Next time you're in the midwest, check out the way they do it in Chicago. It's cheap and really contributes to the enjoyment of your meal.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:39 AM   #7
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I've enjoyed fois gras many times in the U.S. and in France. There they make this mouse or pate style of fois gras with this indescribable rich and buttery flaver. Here invariably they've brought me a dish with something that resembles the actual organ sliced thin and sauteed in butter and seasonings. I like this kind a lot, but not nearly as much as the way they do it in France. I don't understand why you can't get the kind I eat in France here.

Which do you prefer?
Definitely the French option; and your description of its taste and goodness is spot on. Goes great on a slice of baguette. It is mouth-watering.

I'm going to make sure I bring some to Memphis to serve along side the peanut butter bars at ward functions.

SU, the contrast between your comments on FG and PB makes it appear that along with your Mormonism, you jettisoned your "common man" touch. I wonder if Tal and Steve Benson have given up PB as well.

Quote:
I do remember the "duck liver pate" was terrific. Not sure if it was technically "fois gras". Perhaps it was.
Yes, that was/is fois gras. My mouth is watering.

Notice there is no "chunky" option for fois gras. PB - 1 FG - 0

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:09 PM   #8
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

So, I've got a tin of La Mousse de Canard in my pantry...Is it basically whipped up foie gras? And I just found a jar of foie gras in the pantry too, I'd almost forgotten about it. (both were given by a friend). Wow, foie gras party at the Waters tonight!

I have to admit, I learned where foie gras was before I tasted it, and I never really wanted to eat it after hearing about the tube down the goose's throat.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:35 PM   #9
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
So, I've got a tin of La Mousse de Canard in my pantry...Is it basically whipped up foie gras? And I just found a jar of foie gras in the pantry too, I'd almost forgotten about it. (both were given by a friend). Wow, foie gras party at the Waters tonight!

I have to admit, I learned where foie gras was before I tasted it, and I never really wanted to eat it after hearing about the tube down the goose's throat.
I would tell your friend to stick to gift certificates to expensive spas. Those poor little duckies. I have always thought that the French make some of the best and worst foods in the world. Foie gras is definitely one of the worst. Blech! But I am also not a fan of stinky cheese either.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:14 PM   #10
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
SU, the contrast between your comments on FG and PB makes it appear that along with your Mormonism, you jettisoned your "common man" touch. I wonder if Tal and Steve Benson have given up PB as well.
Religion does tend to predominate as a commoner's pursuit. I think Christ said that first.

I didn't touch PB till I was in my late twenties. My first wife got me to appricate it. Since then I've drifted away from it again. I don't like it straight. I like it adding some texture and fullness to a jelly or marmalade on the right kind of bread.

—Paul Auster