cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gladys Knight

Last night we attended a concert/fireside meeting put on by Gladys KNight and her Saints Unified Vocies choir. It ws a great show. She had a tight 3 piece band (supported with taped rhythym loops), about a 50 voice choir and a great show. The concert was at the stake center builiding on Temple HIll in Oakland. A very diverse audience and the place was rockin'. We were encouraged to applaud and we did, after songs, during songs, during testimonies and following great solos (the only time we didn't when we should ahve was after the organist ripped off a killer solo on his B-3 and after the boring white guy trying to be a charismatic preacher finally finished, if you know what I mean).

I have never seen this type of music in a church meeting. It was great and reached out to a lot of people that would otherwise not hear about the gosepl. INterestignly, there were only about 2 or 3 mentions of the book of mormon, only one refernce to Joseph SMith ("We do not worship Joseph Smith") with all the rest being about the Savior.

A great evening. If you get the chance you should se it. We took our non-member neighbors, who are committed and active catholics, and thery really enjoyed it. The feeling was infectious and the spirit was strong.

Last edited by creekster; 09-24-2007 at 06:42 PM.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:45 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds wonderful. I would love to attend. And I would love it if it shook some mullahs up.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

That sounds fantastic, Creek.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

didn't GBH give Gladys permission to revamp the hymnbook or something?
Old 09-24-2007, 05:21 PM   #5
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
didn't GBH give Gladys permission to revamp the hymnbook or something?
The story I heard (but have not seen substantiated) is that she gently poked fun at the stodgy music in the church and told the prophet that it could stand being spiced up. He then said somethign like "you are just the one to do it" but I am not sure if this is true and if it is I am not sure if it is somethign beyond what she is already doing wiht this choir. We can only hope. THere won't be mnuch sleeping on the stand if GLadys is your music conductor, I guar-an-tee.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:23 PM   #6
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Great post, but with your title I thought you were gonna give a plug to my alma mater and the asskicking they laid on Requiem's lady Utes.

Shout out for Sister Gladys, they still in the Bay area any more nites this week? I am chillin' in the area until Thursday afternoon.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:26 PM   #7
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Great post, but with your title I thought you were gonna give a plug to my alma mater and the asskicking they laid on Requiem's lady Utes.

Shout out for Sister Gladys, they still in the Bay area any more nites this week? I am chillin' in the area until Thursday afternoon.
You should have told me. I had two extra tickets last night. They gave 2 shows on sat. and 2 on Sunday and are now done.

Sorry about the title; I forgot to check it and it can't be edited (at least not with the minimal effort i am willing to expend trying).

Are you otherwsie taken care of for the week?
Old 09-24-2007, 05:30 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Gladys has done that here and most of those choirs are from Vegas.

The origin of the story is this:

Gladys: Hellow President.

GBH: Well how are you doing?

Gladys: Things are great, I like everything about the Church except the music could use a bit of pizzazz in it.

GBH: Well, what are you going to do about it?

Sources: Gladys to Archaea, woman in another stake who was present when GBH stated that. She has since received permission to the tour(s) and perhaps given other authority. I hope so. She is a wonderful lady and very unassuming. It is strange to see her pull up in her Bentley at the gymn though.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:31 PM   #9
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
You should have told me. I had two extra tickets last night. They gave 2 shows on sat. and 2 on Sunday and are now done.

Sorry about the title; I forgot to check it and it can't be edited (at least not with the minimal effort i am willing to expend trying).

Are you otherwsie taken care of for the week?
I am going to try to hook up with PAC one night, would you like to make it a menagea'trois?

I will hang out once with my brothers family and most likely the other nite will be getting a gospel doctrine lesson prepared.

My cabbie was gay, he made that clear after I made it clear I was an Idaho redneck...do you think he had some type of hidden agenda or was he wearing it as a badge of honor?

Damn you Larry Craig!
Old 09-24-2007, 05:41 PM   #10
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

I heard Gladys make a comment to Hinckley about spicing up the music in the Church at Hinckley's 90th birthday party in the conference center.

Gladys gave that performance thing in OKC, too, but I couldn't attend.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote