cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 04:35 PM   #101
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

My favorite part of the "petition":

Quote:
We claim the life-affirming powers of spirit and wisdom, and reject the glorification of violence in all its forms. We are filled with unutterable sadness by the Book of Mormon story of more than 2,000 young soldiers whose mothers teach them that faith in God will preserve them in battles in which they kill other mothers' children. This is not a success story. It is a story of the failure of human relationships and the horrors of war. In a world that has grown increasingly violent, we believe that one of the most important passages in LDS scripture is D&C 98:16: “Therefore, renounce war and proclaim peace. . . .”
I wonder how Laban's mother felt after Nephi killed him.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:38 PM   #102
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

The CB response is entertaining but the best one was the lead in on housework.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=3198882

I don't understand bemoaning the Stripling Warrior incidents either. It distracted from their central message.

I actually quite like the stripling warrior stuff, and so do my boys. Now I don't wish for them to be in war though and don't want for them to believe themselves invincible.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:45 PM   #103
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Are any of the mullahs going to come up with a substantive rebuttal to the rebuttal?
Why? You have already laced any such rebuttle with denegration.

Last edited by tooblue; 11-20-2007 at 04:54 PM.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:51 PM   #104
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
The interesting thing about this is the bulk of women in the church really don't care what she said. They won't tell you this publicly, but they will privately.

I have asked several of my feemale relatives who heard the talk what they thought. The working ones said no big deal, the stay at home ones said, no big deal. They basically thought it was the Relief Society President giving a talk in conference and it was no big deal.

A small group on either side thought it was a significant talk.
Could be. But it has generated more talk and discussion than any talk in quite a while. And I dare bet that Sister Beck will think long and hard in the future as she composes her general conference addresses. I doubt she is happy with the controversy.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:03 PM   #105
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

This is one of the all-time most entertaining threads. Good work all. One of the funniest things about scanning it is Tex's and Lingo's current avatars. The avatars show you these guys aren't totally without a sense of humor. To see McConkie and Packer going toe to toe with Waters' sexy pole vaulter and Lebowski's acid rocker with the stogie on the subject of Sister Beck is quite funny.

I'll give anyone who wants it my proxy to sign the statement (can men sign it?). Last I heard I was on the church records (but it's been quite a while), and I still have many female relatives in pshychological bondage that I care about.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 11-20-2007 at 05:06 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:07 PM   #106
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Exactly. The Waters' and santos' of the internet world are far more worked up about it than the average LDS woman.

It's nice of these men to be offended on their behalf, though.
Why are you bringing santos in on this thread? I have not seen him post on this thread.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:10 PM   #107
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
And I dare bet that Sister Beck will think long and hard in the future as she composes her general conference addresses. I doubt she is happy with the controversy.
This is true. She apparently underestimated the pugilism of a vocal minority.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:24 PM   #108
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
This is true. She apparently underestimated the pugilism of a vocal minority.

I am assuming you are a champion of the vocal minority.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:27 PM   #109
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Attending my GF's ward last Sunday....during Gospel Doctrine....the lesson was dealing with adversity and more than once the teacher stated her firm belief that if more people just followed the gospel principles, and obeyed the commandments that there wouldn't be so many people in the world on happy pills and having to take anti-depressants and that obeying the word cures all.

Ugh...I so wanted to say something, but didn't.
As someone who once suffered from depression and had to be on medication for about a year, I can firmly say she is full of shit.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:42 PM   #110
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
As someone who once suffered from depression and had to be on medication for about a year, I can firmly say she is full of shit.
I hope things are going better for you. As someone who knows someone who went through an awful time, I can confirm she is full of shit. This person was bi-polar and went on mullah kicks like you wouldn't believe. She would read scriptures hours on end. Listen to conference tapes and obsess over everyone doing the right thing including herself. The depressing times were worse for her because she thought it was because she wasn't living righteous enough.

I am all for teachers encouraging people to live good lives and talking about the blessings that can come, I am just not for these all or nothing type.

The one that still bugs me is the one where some Mission President stated a missionary was saved because he was living the rules and missionaries who live the rules will be protected. Shame on him.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote