cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 10:18 PM   #51
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I don't thik it is smarter here than there, I just think you are more likely to be able to have an intelligent conversation. Moreover, becasue the baord doesn't move as quickly, you can post something a little meatier and people can kick it around and then post about it later after some thought, so the whole process tends to be more than drive by opinion-cizing.

As with all generalizations, this is prone to be incorrect in the specific instance, but in genreal I think this is true. Besides, how can we be 'smarter' here when we all post (or have posted) on CB?
That's probably true, and I also think there is an unwritten expectation here that you try and avoid posting mindless drivel.

On the board there's always someone who will participate in any random topic you present like the recent "Do you clip your nails at work thread...I posted in that one. I sincerely doubt that most of the regular posters over here would waste their time posting in that thread, so if you want to participate, you have to step up your game.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:26 PM   #52
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
First, if you do not go to CB, I am confused as to how you know who else does or does not go there?
Because they say so. I have no reason to disbelieve them.

Quote:
My call is the "lover spurned" theory. Perhaps you have a different theory.
I just like it better here.

Quote:
I think what you find LESS of here is the banal posts like people quoting The Office or someone asking about Chadders hamburgers. Perhaps the lack of such banality masquerades as intelligence. I dont necessarily think that (you may not either).
As Creekster points out, the format of the board here is more conducive to long, drawn-out debates. CB is more like a quick shouting match due to the scrolling nature of the board.

As for which group is smarter, the last thing I am going to do is get into a point by point debate on that topic. I think you will change your mind after you have been here a while. But if not, that is fine by me. In any case, I have enjoyed your posts thus far and I hope you stick around.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:46 PM   #53
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

I like it here better since I can't post on CB.

The BYU sports discussion is really all I'm here for, and mess around with the other stuff to pass the time. I am a true BYU sports addict and can't get enough of it 24/7. But the religion discussion and occasional politics or economics if it interests me, is excellent here.

The format provides a better forum for analysis and in-depth discussion of a topic, and we have had good discussion on sports topics. The sports discussion was really slow here two years ago, and it's why I was slow in coming over. I stopped at cougarblue for a while after being booted from CB. But the sports discussion is getting better and better.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 12:25 AM   #54
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I've accepted personal checks in the past. I've not accepted livestock or farm products, mainly because of the hassle.
Will you accept tubs of vaseline?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 12:39 AM   #55
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never been suspended, warned, reprimanded or acknowledged by Jefe or any other CB mod. I really don't have anything against CB, but it's just too noisy for me. The board moves quickly and fruitful discussion is sometimes hard to find. It does react quickly to news, so that's a bonus for CB, but I really like how CG grinds out a topic for a couple of days, getting various perspectives and some good talk.

In addition to the board format, I prefer CG for a few other reasons. First, it's a self censored board. I hate that CB automatically places "yewt" to replace words. If somebody says dumbyewt, I wanna know if that person is a dumbass or a dumbshit. We get uncensored Goatnapper, Archaea, and Seattle Ute. You can't beat that. If you ever want to test the limits of this boards censorship level, call Indy a mullah. He'll say the f word.

Second, I think the laughs are usually pretty damn good here. They're often stupid inside jokes, but they can be pretty funny. I also like that the anti-Utah/BYU sentiment is pretty much kept to a minimum here. You'll rarely see the phrase Yewt here and I see that as a positive. It's indicative of a nice comaraderie amongst the posters here. Even Tex has had some pretty funny ones lately.

Also, I think there is a good diversity of opinion/belief regarding church, politics, life and sports with a usually respectful discussion. Tex, Indy and Lingo may disagree on this point, but I've always been treated well.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 12:41 AM   #56
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

UteStar also posts here and it's fun to see such a wannabe metrosexual.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 12:47 AM   #57
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

I left CB in essence about a year ago. Maybe it is a bit self congratulatory to say that CG is smarter (although in my estimation that is clearly the case, if only because the relative brevity of comments on CB and the structure of the board that pushes comments onto the third page very rapidly) but I don't think it is too much of a stretch to say that CB is dumber.

So that is my estimation. I hang out here because CB is dumber than CG.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 12:56 AM   #58
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
I left CB in essence about a year ago. Maybe it is a bit self congratulatory to say that CG is smarter (although in my estimation that is clearly the case, if only because the relative brevity of comments on CB and the structure of the board that pushes comments onto the third page very rapidly) but I don't think it is too much of a stretch to say that CB is dumber.

So that is my estimation. I hang out here because CB is dumber than CG.
I've gotta agree. I would never publicly say that folks on CG are smarter than those on CB, but you don't have to be brainiac to know that there aren't a lot of brainiacs on CB. But the thing I like I best about this site is that it sufficiently rankles the DOF's (defenders of the faith) on CB that they feel the need to come over here and lecture and reprove us. Whenever Tex, Indy or Lingo posts, I consider it a moral victory for CougarGuard.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:59 AM   #59
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I've gotta agree. I would never publicly say that folks on CG are smarter than those on CB, but you don't have to be brainiac to know that there aren't a lot of brainiacs on CB. But the thing I like I best about this site is that it sufficiently rankles the DOF's (defenders of the faith) on CB that they feel the need to come over here and lecture and reprove us. Whenever Tex, Indy or Lingo posts, I consider it a moral victory for CougarGuard.
I think it's funny that the two people on CB that I know of who claim to have PhDs rarely if ever have an opinion that doesn't follow exactly the opinions of either the Republican party or GBH. These days it almost seems like Freddie is worse than Snipe.

Also, Freddie is a creationist. A PhD creationist is the ultimate oxymoron.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:46 AM   #60
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
I think it's funny that the two people on CB that I know of who claim to have PhDs rarely if ever have an opinion that doesn't follow exactly the opinions of either the Republican party or GBH. These days it almost seems like Freddie is worse than Snipe.

Also, Freddie is a creationist. A PhD creationist is the ultimate oxymoron.
I do not have a PhD. I do have a JD.

Help me understand the nexus between a PhD and one's political opinions. You seem to be implying that PhDs should not have opinions that mirror those of the republican party or GBH.

Or are you making a blanket generalization for effect?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote