cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 05:16 PM   #1
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP
Default I still don't think we are that good

This team has the same problem all BYU basketball teams have, they can't play defense on the road.

In Provo, the players need wheelbarrows to cart around their "fortitude". On the road, there are serious "shrinkage" issues.

The only BYU team that powered through it on the road woes was the 2003 team. I attribute that entirely to Travis Hansen who ratcheted up the intensity through his physical play and aggression straight out of the 8 mile projects.

This team has an awesome defender in Cummard, but he's more in the Scottie Pippen mode in that he does it with length over strength. The lack of an ass kicker will prove to be our downfall. We may be able to squeeze into the tourney, but we aren't winning a game when we get there.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:19 PM   #2
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensitive PAP View Post
This team has the same problem all BYU basketball teams have, they can't play defense on the road.

In Provo, the players need wheelbarrows to cart around their "fortitude". On the road, there are serious "shrinkage" issues.

The only BYU team that powered through it on the road woes was the 2003 team. I attribute that entirely to Travis Hansen who ratcheted up the intensity through his physical play and aggression straight out of the 8 mile projects.

This team has an awesome defender in Cummard, but he's more in the Scottie Pippen mode in that he does it with length over strength. The lack of an ass kicker will prove to be our downfall. We may be able to squeeze into the tourney, but we aren't winning a game when we get there.
I think tonite will tell the difference. I think the HC brings more intensity than Cleveland did. Last year he was 4-4 on the road in MWC play and I think he will do that well this year against a far superior MWC slate than the 2003 team faced.

I do agree with you that it was Travis Hansen's competitiveness that propelled the 2003 club, it went 5-2 on the road but choked at home to Utah.

I struggle to fully embrace, but if the Y wins tonite I become a believer.

I think I will be a believer.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:32 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Most teams have road woes, not just BYU. We have our issues, but this team has improved a lot since the 5-4 start. Last year we played great at times at the end of the year, and this team has improved on that. Keena is such a consistent scorer, and with Plaisted, the outside shooting and JT and Rose off the bench, this team can score. Defense is definitely an issue at times.

We will make the tourney, and there's a good chance we will be favored to win our first game.

Is this the year we do it? I think it's a coin toss.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote