cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2007, 02:23 PM   #1
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road
Default Will any of you avoid Golden Compass because of this?

http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/compass.asp

Just makes me more interested to see what this is all about.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:25 PM   #2
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

http://www.cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8957
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought this guy had some interesting thoughts about the book.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&sn=003&sc=656

Lingo thinks I may have ruined my 9 (now 10) year old by letting him read these books. Time will tell, but I do know he is very excited about the movie, although we have a family policy about not letting those younger than 13 see PG-13 movies until one of the parents has seen it and approves, so my wife or I will be seeing this one very early to give him the word.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:15 PM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone remember how popular the DaVinci code was? I don't know anyone in my ward that didn't read it and enjoy it. Even though the book concluded that Jesus was a mere mortal and not actually the son of God (isn't that killing God in a sense?), religious folks (the LDS ones at least) seemed to be able to remember that they'd purchased the book in the fiction section of their local bookstore.

Now, many of these same people in my ward are on the warpath against this Golden Compass film, the vast majority of whom have never even read the books. In addition, I think they give their children way too much credit when they worry that they will pick up on some anti-religion themes present in the book.

Last edited by SteelBlue; 12-01-2007 at 03:19 PM.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 03:19 PM   #5
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I thought this guy had some interesting thoughts about the book.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&sn=003&sc=656

Lingo thinks I may have ruined my 9 (now 10) year old by letting him read these books. Time will tell, but I do know he is very excited about the movie, although we have a family policy about not letting those younger than 13 see PG-13 movies until one of the parents has seen it and approves, so my wife or I will be seeing this one very early to give him the word.
This was my favorite part:

"Pullman's luminous novels have nothing to do with rejecting faith or destroying the spirit or inhibiting the exploration of what it means to be divine. They are, in fact, the exact opposite. They relish spirit and the magic of belief and love, are soaked through with divine inspiration of a kind any intelligent Christian (or honest spiritual seeker of any stripe, for that matter) should crave the way Lindsay Lohan craves cocaine."

We ought to have the writer of the column on this board, Very funny and smart, if much further left than I.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:20 PM   #6
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

On the bright side, these lame-ass email campaigns give my mom something to do with her day and giver her a sense of having contributed to a valiant cause. *rolls eyes*
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 03:22 PM   #7
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Anyone remember how popular the DaVinci code was? I don't know anyone in my ward that didn't read it and enjoy it. Even though the book concluded that Jesus was a mere mortal and not actually the son of God (isn't that killing God in a sense?), religious folks (the LDS ones at least) seemed to be able to remember that they'd purchased the book in the fiction section of their local bookstore.

Now, many of these same people in my ward are on the warpath against this Golden Compass film, the vast majority of whom have never even read the books. In addition, I think they give their children way too much credit when they worry that they will pick up on some anti-religion themes present in the book.
I thought that the popularity of DaVinci Code among LDS had a lot to do with the idea the book espouses that Jesus was, well, espoused. We Mormons love it when the rest of the world (who know know to be so grossly in error) comes up with an idea that pats us on the back.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:26 PM   #8
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
This was my favorite part:

"Pullman's luminous novels have nothing to do with rejecting faith or destroying the spirit or inhibiting the exploration of what it means to be divine. They are, in fact, the exact opposite. They relish spirit and the magic of belief and love, are soaked through with divine inspiration of a kind any intelligent Christian (or honest spiritual seeker of any stripe, for that matter) should crave the way Lindsay Lohan craves cocaine."

We ought to have the writer of the column on this board, Very funny and smart, if much further left than I.
I liked the same paragraph. In fact, this was almost exactly my wife's reactions to criticisms of the books (minus the lohan reference). She said she found the books to be all about spiritual experience, just not within a structure.

I like this guy too.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:26 PM   #9
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I thought that the popularity of DaVinci Code among LDS had a lot to do with the idea the book espouses that Jesus was, well, espoused. We Mormons love it when the rest of the world (who know know to be so grossly in error) comes up with an idea that pats us on the back.
I agree completely with this assessment. I just think it's funny that people who were able to enjoy a book in which Christ specifically is found to be a mere mortal are up in arms about a book in which a god (who is not their god) is killed. I also think it's funny that so many LDS have jumped aboard an email train driven by evangelicals who would probably skip any kid's movie with an LDS subtext.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 03:31 PM   #10
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I agree completely with this assessment. I just think it's funny that people who were able to enjoy a book in which Christ specifically is found to be a mere mortal are up in arms about a book in which a god (who is not their god) is killed. I also think it's funny that so many LDS have jumped aboard an email train driven by evangelicals who would probably skip any kid's movie with an LDS subtext.
I agree. There are a lot of busy bodies out there and they meet in the room with the doily on the table.