cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 04:55 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default For those of you who have read about MMM

I'm curious as to the psychological/spirtual fallout among the participants over the subsequent decades. Was there the feeling that they had done something righteous, unrighteous but well intended, or something terrible?

Did they suffer, in spirit, for their actions or not?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:58 AM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Excellent question. Perhaps we should make the Juanita Brooks book our next read.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:03 AM   #3
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Blood of our Prophets.

The Juanita book would be akin to Brodie's book.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:20 AM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post

The Juanita book would be akin to Brodie's book.
Not even close Fus.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:36 AM   #5
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Not even close Fus.
Agreed, but Bagley's book is much more recent.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:08 PM   #6
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
Agreed, but Bagley's book is much more recent.
Brooks is a great book. I have not read Bagley's and probably won't.

Most here know my deep admiration for Juanita Brooks. Just an amazing woman IMO.

That said, her book was inspired in part by the whisperings she heard around St George as a little girl growing up. She does not use those rumors as an authoritative source, but they inspired her to study out as much as she could to put the pieces together into a whole as best possible.

My recollection is she really was on the John D. Lee was a political martyr, which I can agree to some extent. But I still think John D. Lee was a cold blooded murderer so in essence his execution was just. Certainly there were others who deserved a similar sentence, so perhaps his punishment was inequitable while still being just.

I don't remember her going into detail about stories demonstrating the pain and misery of remorse that many suffered from, especially as she was highly motivated to vindicate John D. Lee to some extent. I also think while there was such remorse, it was kept hidden from probably all save the wives of those who participated and given the circumstances of poor US federal government-LDS relations it is not surprising there is little public or even private record of that remorse in detail. Basically, the folks were very effective at pretending it never occurred.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:13 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

So Juanita argued that Lee was a scapegoat.

But at the end of the day he was still guilty of murder, as GN points out.

What is it about Juanita's account that led to Lee being vindicated by the church (i.e. priesthood blessings restored), instead of leading to others being "condemned"?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:43 PM   #8
Solon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

What is it about Juanita's account that led to Lee being vindicated by the church (i.e. priesthood blessings restored), instead of leading to others being "condemned"?
An interesting question. I'm not sure this answers it, but according to Brooks, there were rumors that the church made an agreement with the D.A. that, if Lee could be convicted and executed, all the charges against other suspects would be dropped.

Lee never denied his involvement, but contended that he was acting under military orders from superiors, and his first trial ended with a hung jury.

I wonder if these questions of due process affected later LDS leaders. Also, I suspect he might have been exonerated for keeping temple covenants to "avenge the blood of Joseph Smith."

Just some ideas.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:44 PM   #9
Solon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Brooks is a great book. I have not read Bagley's and probably won't.

Most here know my deep admiration for Juanita Brooks. Just an amazing woman IMO.
I totally agree. I did not mean to disparage Brooks' book. It's a fine piece of history, although a bit dated now. Still well worth reading.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:09 PM   #10
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

I tend to think that the Church recognized the situation those folks were in and while Lee was a murderer the Church recognized the extenuating circumstances both pre and post MMM.

I also think that it is pretty pointless. Christ is the perfect judge and whether or not JDL 's temple covenants were restored on earth, I am convinced if Christ and Lee determine that he committed cold blood murder that he knew to be wrong, them ordinances will well you know, be about as usefull as dem 38 triple d's on Ellen Degeneress.