cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics

Old 09-05-2018, 07:16 PM   #21
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

So now there is a recording going around with Trump telling Bob Woodward that he regrets condemning the neo nazi and KKK protesters in Charlottesville where he called them repugnant. Saying those things against those people was the biggest effing mistake he's made according to his words recorded on tape. Why does he think it's a mistake? Either he doesn't really believe there is anything wrong with being a white supremacist or he regrets "insulting" some of his base of support and it's just about politics for him. Or it could be both. I don't think there are any other logical explanations for why it bothered him to condemn racist groups.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:23 PM   #22
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

What I read is that he was upset that he showed weakness. That he changed his messaging because people were offended.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:25 PM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

btw, he didn't get any credit for his 2nd statement. He's still accused of race-baiting all the time.

Trump plays identity politics. But that doesn't make him particularly unique. Dems do it all the time. What's different is that Trump very specifically tries to use it to get white support.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:41 PM   #24
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
btw, he didn't get any credit for his 2nd statement. He's still accused of race-baiting all the time.

Trump plays identity politics. But that doesn't make him particularly unique. Dems do it all the time. What's different is that Trump very specifically tries to use it to get white support.
Why does he deserve credit for his 2nd statement when he himself has disavowed it twice? His third statement almost immediately afterwards reverted back to his first statement. Now he's on tape saying it was some terrible mistake to say bad things about white supremacist groups. But yeah, his statement where he denounced them sounded good. Too bad he couldn't let it stand there.

Last edited by BlueK; 09-06-2018 at 01:44 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:57 PM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The thing that is most important to the Trump brand is authenticity. i.e. that he is willing to say what he believes no matter the consequences. And then he is willing to follow through on what he says he will do.

Now what does he actually believe? Who knows. But if he waffles and panders, and changes his mind, then he starts to lose his core appeal.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:46 PM   #26
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The thing that is most important to the Trump brand is authenticity. i.e. that he is willing to say what he believes no matter the consequences. And then he is willing to follow through on what he says he will do.

Now what does he actually believe? Who knows. But if he waffles and panders, and changes his mind, then he starts to lose his core appeal.
At this point he could hang from the chandeliers and sing bar songs during cabinet meetings on live TV and I don't think he'd lose his core appeal. About the only thing Trump could do to lose his core base would be to try to appoint a judge who likes abortion or hates the second amendment. He could get away with or successfully deflect blame for pretty much anything else.

Last edited by BlueK; 09-06-2018 at 03:51 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote