cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Finances

Old 03-26-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sky Miles Credit Cards

Anyone have a Delta (or other Airline) sky miles credit card? Are they worth it?
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:20 PM   #2
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
Anyone have a Delta (or other Airline) sky miles credit card? Are they worth it?
It cost me $45 bucks a year but I took my family to Maui last year and we are going to New York this year. The miles are getting harder and harder to use so I'm starting to get away from it and use a Wells Fargo card that knocks principle off my mortgage.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:23 PM   #3
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
It cost me $45 bucks a year but I took my family to Maui last year and we are going to New York this year. The miles are getting harder and harder to use so I'm starting to get away from it and use a Wells Fargo card that knocks principle off my mortgage.
How many miles do you typically need to earn an airline ticket?
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
How many miles do you typically need to earn an airline ticket?
25,000 each for our New York flights
35,000 each for our Maui flights

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:52 PM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
Call up and cancel (or threaten to) and they will usually ask what they can do to keep your business. At that point say they can waive the fee. THey will freqwuently lower or waive it. IT is a little dance my wife goes through almost every year.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:05 PM   #6
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Personally I use a Cash Back card. Get 1% cash back on everything. If I want to use it on flight, I can. No annual fee. Mine happens to be a Visa from NationalCity, but many banks offer them. Discover Card also has cash back and if you take the "cash" as a gift card you can get more value (i.e. $20 cash converts to $25 gift card at several stores and restaurants).

For travel, I have to split between two programs so miles accumulate slowly (use different airline depending on destination and fares). Maybe miles card programs would be more attractive if I was big into one or the other program.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:22 PM   #7
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

5 or 10 years ago, it was totally worth it, especially if you traveled a good deal on business and raked in the miles. As RC Vikings alluded to, things are much worse now. It's harder to use the miles, and more and more airlines charge premiums for more and more flights. Whereas 8 years ago it was relatively easy to get a flight for 25,000 miles, now, unless you have good status with the airline, it is very difficult.

They can still be a good deal, but not for the casual user (since they will almost always charge annual fees). You need to work on making it worthwhile.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote