cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food

Old 11-08-2008, 11:10 PM   #21
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Rice cookers are the bomb diggity. There is always rice on in my home. Rice at every meal. Even in college I had an awesome 10 cup Zojirushi, who IMO make the best rice cookers. Get a neuro fuzzy or induction one. Worth the price.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:04 AM   #22
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
Rice cookers are the bomb diggity. There is always rice on in my home. Rice at every meal. Even in college I had an awesome 10 cup Zojirushi, who IMO make the best rice cookers. Get a neuro fuzzy or induction one. Worth the price.
300 bucks for a rice cooker?
http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NP-H...6195994&sr=1-2

That must be one sweet gig you picked up...
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:46 AM   #23
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
300 bucks for a rice cooker?
http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NP-H...6195994&sr=1-2

That must be one sweet gig you picked up...
I didn't even know there was a luxury rice cooker market. Mine was twenty bucks at Target.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 01:54 AM   #24
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I didn't even know there was a luxury rice cooker market. Mine was twenty bucks at Target.
Mine was a free hand-me-down from a friend 12 years ago, is not non-stick, and has no fuzzy logic. I wonder if my wife would like a new rice cooker for Christmas.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:34 AM   #25
Surfah
Master

I'll be honest my Zojirushi was a gift and bit the dust after lots of use. Now I have something from Costco. It works. It's not a Zojirushi.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:05 AM   #26
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
Our Sanyo rice cooker is 18 years old. It has fought the good fight, but we are about to put it out to pasture. Ironically, it was used when we got it so I don't know how old it is. Some Japanese friends of our gave it to us when they returned to Japan after finishing grad school.

Anyway, I am tempted to take the plunge and get a Zojirushi. We eat rice about every other day. All the reviews claim that induction is the way to go. I long for the perfectly cooked rice I used to enjoy in Japan. The Sanyo has been a workhorse, but I am tired of rice that is either mushy or dry.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:49 PM   #27
Surfah
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Our Sanyo rice cooker is 18 years old. It has fought the good fight, but we are about to put it out to pasture. Ironically, it was used when we got it so I don't know how old it is. Some Japanese friends of our gave it to us when they returned to Japan after finishing grad school.

Anyway, I am tempted to take the plunge and get a Zojirushi. We eat rice about every other day. All the reviews claim that induction is the way to go. I long for the perfectly cooked rice I used to enjoy in Japan. The Sanyo has been a workhorse, but I am tired of rice that is either mushy or dry.
My zojirushi had at least 5 years of use when I received it also. A roommate gave it to me when he moved out and I packed that thing everywhere. If you eat rice that much it's well worth it. The one Gidget and I have now is just a cheap automatic one. It seems to take much longer to cook than my old one. And it seems to brown some rice on the bottom each time.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #28
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:

If most people in Japan are using rice cookers....and you are using a rice cooker.....then why isnt your rice perfectly cooked like theirs? Do you think it is the brand of rice cooker?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:35 PM   #29
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
If most people in Japan are using rice cookers....and you are using a rice cooker.....then why isnt your rice perfectly cooked like theirs? Do you think it is the brand of rice cooker?
Definitely the quality of the cooker. Ours is sturdy but ancient. Our other Japanese friends here in the ward have a high-tech rice cooker and the difference is like night and day.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:38 PM   #30
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Definitely the quality of the cooker. Ours is sturdy but ancient. Our other Japanese friends here in the ward have a high-tech rice cooker and the difference is like night and day.
Thanks. We need a new one. I will look into it.

Is there a middle-market brand that someone can recommend that doesnt cost $300? I love rice, but not that much. However, if there was a $300 bread pudding cooker.....

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote