cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reread Dialogue Article on Talmage and Postmodernism

The article contained within this version, http://www.dialoguejournal.com/store/?id=199 ,

Modernism and Mormonism: James E. Talmage's Jesus the Christ and Early Twentieth-Century Mormon Responses to Biblical Criticism, by Clyde D. Ford, pg. 96, is interesting in many respects.

It showed that Dr. Talmage was familiar with the arguments of higher and lower Biblical criticism, as well as the arguments of "believing" Christians when he cited to sources of non-Mormon authors such as Farrar.

In contrast to Talmage who was requested to write Jesus the Christ, what some call a Mormoninzation of Farrar's work, McConkie once again took it upon himself to write the Messiah series. And not surprisingly, McConkie's work represents a regression in terms of accepting the work of nonMormon scholars. Apparenly, McConkie was dismissive of some of Talmage's work even though in most respects it appears Talmage was more familiar with then current scholarship and possessed my scholarly skills than McConkie.

It actually saddened me that McConkie represents an academic regression in terms of Mormonism as compared with the hopeful works of Widtsoe and Talmage.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
Archaea

This quote about McConkie is interesting:

Quote:
McConkie, who unlike Talmage, had not been requested to write his work by Church leaders, remarkably claimed his mandate for the Messiah series from the deceased Talmage himself, 'But I think I hear his[Talmage's] voice ... saying Now is the te time to build on the foundations I laid some seventy years aog, using the added knowledge that has since come by research and revelation.'"
So many ironies there.

Last edited by Archaea; 02-11-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
This quote about McConkie is interesting:

So many ironies there.
Jesus The Christ is far from a perfect work, but it is more insightful, is better written, and is in every way superior to the bloated, self-important, incoherent mess that is McConkie's Messiah series.

Next I'll tell you how I really feel!
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Jesus The Christ is far from a perfect work, but it is more insightful, is better written, and is in every way superior to the bloated, self-important, incoherent mess that is McConkie's Messiah series.

Next I'll tell you how I really feel!
I have only read selected quotes from McConkie's work, but I agree that Talmage's work was a first serious effort to confront the "Lives" works from a Mormon perspective. It appears McConkie's work was a work taking many steps backwards. If the reviews or excerpts I've read are representative, it almost appears McConkie was unaware of the thought and arguments he was addressing.