cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival

Old 05-18-2009, 06:52 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Some pretty good deals here on stripped lower receivers:
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Receivers.html

(for those of you who don't know, but are curious, the stripped lower is the only part of the AR-15 that if purchased over the internet, needs to go through a licensed gun dealer--in essence, the stripped lower *is* the firearm. The rest of the firearm can be purchased in just the same way as a a book from amazon).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:16 AM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

So I'm working on my first lower from parts. Well "working" is premature. I am accumulating the parts to eventually assemble a lower.

I'm going to need a stock wrench, and probably need to get a brass hammer and some punches. I wonder how much cussing this project is going to involve.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:50 AM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
So I'm working on my first lower from parts. Well "working" is premature. I am accumulating the parts to eventually assemble a lower.

I'm going to need a stock wrench, and probably need to get a brass hammer and some punches. I wonder how much cussing this project is going to involve.
stock wrench, brass punches, check. VLTOR, check. Parts kit, check. stripped lower, check.

I smell a fiasco on its way....
Old 08-03-2009, 01:48 AM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
stock wrench, brass punches, check. VLTOR, check. Parts kit, check. stripped lower, check.

I smell a fiasco on its way....
Magazine catch, done.

Trigger guard, done.

Bolt catch, done.

Pivot pin, done.

Now I am going to take a break, I've never had this much good luck in one day, I don't want to push it. All the hard stuff is done (famous last words).
Old 08-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

A good video on building an AR lower.

Good written instructions:

http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/
Old 08-19-2009, 03:45 AM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Magazine catch, done.

Trigger guard, done.

Bolt catch, done.

Pivot pin, done.

Now I am going to take a break, I've never had this much good luck in one day, I don't want to push it. All the hard stuff is done (famous last words).
The disconnector spring that came w/ my kit was too big, and wasn't seating properly, so I ended up trying to mod it and destroyed it. Had to buy a new one. Finally had time to work on the lower again tonight and was able to finish it up.

Function tested and everything appears to be working. With Vltor emod stock.

I did end up buying brass punch pins. I used a small lightweight hammer that I purchased for beekeeping. And the castle nut wrench. Also a razor blade for one of the pivot pins. Was able to do it all without marring the lower.

So if I can do it, can't be that hard. Fun project. Next step is to get out to the range and see if it all works.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:37 AM   #17
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Got my rifle kit a week or so ago. Just finished building. The front pivot pin was a bit tricky, but all in all not too difficult. Everything seemed to fit together well. Took me about 2 hours (not counting the time it took finding the buffer stop spring and pin in shag carpet which I accidentally launched - that alone took a half hour, but I did find them!)

I'll try to post a pic here but it's your pretty standard AR15. Kicking it old school with the A2 handle but with a collapsible stock. All told, it cost me $700, not including magazines, which I still need to purchase (kinda important ). That's a lot of scratch saved for not much work. I can't wait to sight it in and shoot some shit!

Last edited by Venkman; 09-27-2009 at 04:41 AM.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:18 AM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
Got my rifle kit a week or so ago. Just finished building. The front pivot pin was a bit tricky, but all in all not too difficult. Everything seemed to fit together well. Took me about 2 hours (not counting the time it took finding the buffer stop spring and pin in shag carpet which I accidentally launched - that alone took a half hour, but I did find them!)

I'll try to post a pic here but it's your pretty standard AR15. Kicking it old school with the A2 handle but with a collapsible stock. All told, it cost me $700, not including magazines, which I still need to purchase (kinda important ). That's a lot of scratch saved for not much work. I can't wait to sight it in and shoot some shit!
Welcome to a better world.

A2 Carry Handle AND A2 stock, then you can say you are kicking it old school.

Some good deals on mags at 44mag.com, for alum GI-type. Some people prefer the polymer pmags. Split the difference and get both.

Razor blade makes front pivot pin easy. I had a spring go flying a couple of times, but l was smart enough to do it over wood floor.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:18 AM   #19
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Welcome to a better world.

A2 Carry Handle AND A2 stock, then you can say you are kicking it old school.

Some good deals on mags at 44mag.com, for alum GI-type. Some people prefer the polymer pmags. Split the difference and get both.

Razor blade makes front pivot pin easy. I had a spring go flying a couple of times, but l was smart enough to do it over wood floor.
Hey thanks! All of my brothers and brothers in law now have AR's. Rabbit hunting will never be the same (or more expensive).

Actually, I was smart enough do install over a white tile floor. But absent minded (dumb?) enough to unscrew the stock a bit without keeping my finger on the buffer pin. After five minutes, I was dropping some serious f-bombs.

Thanks for the heads up on 44mag.com, looks like there are some good deals, I'll order a few.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:46 AM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

unfortunately ammo has become quite expensive.

Just count your lucky stars that you don't have to buy 6.8 SPC ammo. (of course, you can hunt deer and pigs with 6.8, and you can't do that w/ .223).