cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling

Old 05-25-2011, 08:17 PM   #21
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Many of these people that have been busted, were prosecuted on drug distribution laws. Normally that doesn't affect the athlete, as he is usually the end-user. But in the case of Lance, it may be that he was both a dealer and an end-user. In which case he will be in for a world of hurt.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #22
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Many of these people that have been busted, were prosecuted on drug distribution laws. Normally that doesn't affect the athlete, as he is usually the end-user. But in the case of Lance, it may be that he was both a dealer and an end-user. In which case he will be in for a world of hurt.
Or they are prosecuted for obstruction of justice. I don't care what the tool used by the prosecutor is, it's the public policy at issue and it certainly isn't medications and prescriptions that's got him riled up. If it were, he wouldn't be the prosecutor. You're not going to come up with any scenario where I believe in what the prosecutor is doing. Not any that have come to light so far.

I don't believe the accusations that he was a dealer and you're construing the allegations in a light which isn't deserved. This is sport, we expect the athletes to push the limits of what's allowed. I don't expect athlete to be moral ethicists. I expect them to go over the edge once in a while. They are risking their own bodies to produce performance. It's not something I recommend; it's not something I would do, but I'm not concerned that others don't share my beliefs and certainly don't believe they should be prosecuted for this penny ante stuff.

Do I believe physicians should dispense medications in accordance with the manufacturer's indications and in accordance with sound medical judgment? Of course. And if narcotics are involved, we should enforce the rules. As far as I know, except for the situations of sports or the little blue pill, most prosecutions involve the abuse of narcotics because of their potentially addictive traits.

So if you possess a Schadenfreude, then this sort of prosecution is right up your alley. But there is no harm to society at large, except for government's need and desire to exert influence over every sphere of society. This is a meaningless prosecution, unless Schadenfreude is your chief goal.

Last edited by Archaea; 05-25-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

here's what Lance's PR machine is saying:

Quote:
{Wasted Taxpayer $$$}

WASTE OF TAXPAYER DOLLARS

After all, they spent roughly ten years and more than $55 million trying to convict Barry Bonds and other professional athletes in the BALCO case. They largely failed in their highest profile efforts. Atlantic, April 19, 2011
The time and taxpayer dollars spent pursuing Bonds could have been spent more wisely given that Bonds is unlikely to spend more than a few months in prison, if any at all. (No sentencing date was announced; the defense is likely to appeal the verdict.) Sure, the publicity from his case might serve as a warning to others who consider lying before a grand jury, but a public-service announcement during, say, a Super Bowl broadcast, would have cost less and been far more effective.” SI.com, April 13, 2011
Novitzky and his crew can now claim their biggest conviction with Bonds, but it’s a hollow win. While it’s admirable that they went after Bonds when baseball refused to, it’s hard to justify the years of work and the money spent for the relatively insignificant conviction they finally won. Associated Press, April 14, 2011
It was the Bush Justice Department that has spent more than $50 million on this investigation, and million more giving government a permanent role in policing drugs in sports. ABC News, March 1, 2009
The only way to see the indictment of Bonds is as a gross, terrible injustice, a startling abuse of power and a waste of taxpayer money. ESPN.com, November 19, 2007
Why did whatever Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens and Marion Jones said (or didn’t say) become worthy of a $55 million federal investigation? Playboy, 2009
After a six-year, $50 million exploration of performance enhancement in sports, it’s worth considering what we’ve gained. The $600 is still missing. A Treasure report found, after a year investigating Novitzky and other IRS agents, that “Solvability factors are not present and do not justify any continued investigation.” Playboy, 2009
This past year Judge Illston, who presided over the steroid cases, indicated she thought the federal government’s resources were being wasted. She sentenced the two latest individuals convicted in BALCO, the cyclist Tammy Thomas and track coach Trevor Graham, to home detention over the desperate objections of prosecutors. At Graham’s sentencing, she said pointedly, “I don’t view sending Mr. Graham to prison as a useful exercise for this government at this time.” Playboy, 2009
The BALCO investigation, whose primary target has been MLB home run king Barry Bonds, has cost taxpayers in the United States over $55 million and counting. Steroids Rx, February 10, 2009
So there you go. Lance asks us to care tremendously about him when he is an athlete. He asks to lend our time and eyeballs to watch him ride a bike. He asks us to buy Treks and Subarus and Nike and his books. He DIDN'T ask us to do other things instead, because they were more worthy pursuits than just following a lousy sport. But suddenly, when his career is over and there is the possibility that he committed fraud, he says NO ONE should care. WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY! He says.

Sorry Lance, you can't have it both ways. You can't ask people to care about your cycling, and not care whether you cheated your way to the top.

You are probably right, Lance, that your entire career has been a waste of time and money of everyone that ever layed eyes on you. But the world is what it is. And it just so happened that a lot of people did care. And you have to deal with the fallout now.

It seems to me that if Lance is so concerned about taxpayers' dollars, he could confess to everything he knows. And he could TRULY work towards cleaning up this sorry sport of cycling. Instead of just pretending to clean it up.

I have my sports heroes. Lance is not numbered among them.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:02 PM   #24
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
here's what Lance's PR machine is saying:

So there you go. Lance asks us to care tremendously about him when he is an athlete. He asks to lend our time and eyeballs to watch him ride a bike. He asks us to buy Treks and Subarus and Nike and his books. He DIDN'T ask us to do other things instead, because they were more worthy pursuits than just following a lousy sport. But suddenly, when his career is over and there is the possibility that he committed fraud, he says NO ONE should care. WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY! He says.

Sorry Lance, you can't have it both ways. You can't ask people to care about your cycling, and not care whether you cheated your way to the top.

You are probably right, Lance, that your entire career has been a waste of time and money of everyone that ever layed eyes on you. But the world is what it is. And it just so happened that a lot of people did care. And you have to deal with the fallout now.

It seems to me that if Lance is so concerned about taxpayers' dollars, he could confess to everything he knows. And he could TRULY work towards cleaning up this sorry sport of cycling. Instead of just pretending to clean it up.

I have my sports heroes. Lance is not numbered among them.
I imagine if you laid the scrutiny laid upon Lance, all of them would fail. There is nobody worth believing in the sports world in terms heroship. None.

I have people in athletics I admire for the craftsmanship or skill within that endeavor, but find them as heroes? Not really. I admire normal people who live normal lives more than any celebrity.

I admire what Lance did because he brought professionalism in terms of regimen and focus to cycling. He was a tremendous cycling talent. That's what I admire. I don't admire him for his life or how he treated people because any of that is made up for public consumption.