cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 01-08-2016, 04:32 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default vs. Santa Clara

Watched the game last night.

For the first time I have watched the Cougars this season, they looked like a well-functioning team. Like guys knew what they were doing, and playing with purpose. And sharing the ball. And not jacking up bad shots. Playing some defense.

Of course, it's hard to make too much of it, since they were playing a team with only one good player (Brownridge).

My first time to watch this new era of Kaufusi as a bench player with limited minutes. Obviously it didn't hurt the team all that much. Esp. as the frontline of Santa Clara was not very good. Nate Austin, I suppose, is the smarter defensive player. But Kaufusi is more athletic and more of a rim protector (also fouler).

Maybe Kaufusi learns to play smarter as a result of this. Obviously both are limited offensive players, with Austin a better passer/IQ guy. And Kaufusi with some ability to play with his back to the basket.

Seljaas didn't really show it this game, but it's very nice having that outside threat. The 3s he did hit were all in garbage time (except for one).

There's an outside shot this team could gel and make a run for the WCC title. I haven't seen Gonzaga or St. Mary's play, and one can almost certainly circle those road games as losses. But I'm just saying it's not beyond the realm of possibilities.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote