cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food

Old 09-06-2006, 10:07 PM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone here smoke?

I am not talking about tobaccy or that stuff that resulted in an Enos experience for me as a 15 year the night before I went to do baptisms for the dead, but I am talking authentic bar-b-q?

I just spent a few moments looking thru this site and I think I will enjoy discussing with serious meat afficianados the good things in life.

I bought a Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker this past spring and have done quite a few pork butts or ribs this summer. That piece of bar-b-qing mastery is one of the greatest inventions of mankind since the breast implant.

I have used it for both grilling over indirect heat as well as smoking. I will post some of my recipes later, but one I will mention is I did a RACK (I just love that word) of lamb grilled over ID using charcoal and apple wood that I used a curry based dry rub and finished it off with a raspberry bar-b-q sauce that was nothing short of exceptional.

I am not a fan of pork, but a pork butt that has been smoked for 8-10 hours over a maple/hickory mixture and then drizzled with some sauce makes a man's nipples hard.

I doubt nothing will take me away from by love of tri-tip, but a RACK of baby-backs that are falling off the bone could cause me to commit adultery in my heart.

Good find Brethren and look forward to together increasing our collective buttcrack cleavages thru the years.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:13 PM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Yes, I am a fellow smoker.

I would love to see some of your recipes. And I would be happy to share mine.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:17 PM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I am about to throw 20 lbs. of pork cushion roast on the smoker to do some pulled pork for a big party tomorrow night. I put a rub on it, smoke it for an hour or two and then cook in the oven over low heat overnight.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:38 PM   #4
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds very good, you people care to share rub recipes?
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:40 PM   #5
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't done it before, but I just bought a firebox attachment for my grill, so I'm going to be cooking with it a lot over the next few months to get a feel for it. Any tips for a beginner?
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:55 PM   #6
Goatnapper'96

Default This website has some good recipes..

<http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/>

I will pull out my book of recipes some time and post.

What I want to find is a really good mustard based sauce. I like to smoke my ribs for about 4-4.5 hours at about 250. Then I slather them with sauce and throw them on the grill on high heat for about 4-5 minutes to burn the sauce a bit.

Here is one basic dry rub I use for beef. It is great for tri-tips, burgers or steaks. I have yet to do a brisket in my smoker so I cannot speak for it on brisket.

4 parts granulated garlic
3 parts chili powder
3 parts season all salt
3 parts lemon pepper
2 parts black pepper
1 part paprika
1 part cumin
1 part basil

It has a bit of a kick and if you really like some spice throw in some cayenne pepper.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:02 PM   #7
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski
I am about to throw 20 lbs. of pork cushion roast on the smoker to do some pulled pork for a big party tomorrow night. I put a rub on it, smoke it for an hour or two and then cook in the oven over low heat overnight.
I don't know what type of smoker you use, but some dude named Minion who has a WSMS uses a method where he puts about three chimneys of coals in the smoker and then lights about 20-30 briquettes and puts them on top. Throw smoke wood on lit briquettes and give your smoker about 50% of its max air flow and it will smoke for about 16 hours. That said, if your pork roast is 20 lbs, you will need about 30 hours of smoking so perhaps an oven is the only reasonable option.

I tried it but was too slow in assembling my cooker, this led to too many briquettes being lit when I cut off the air flow, so when I came out the next morning, the butt was mostly cooked. I threw it in the oven for an hour or two and it was pretty good, but the middle did not render real well and more like roast than pulled pork.

I used that curry based dry rub, it was for my wife's birthday and she loves both pulled pork and curry (did her mission in England) with a double dosage of turbinado/brown sugar. The bark was excellent with the curry and sweetness of the sugar.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:44 PM   #8
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

For rub, find a Mexican grocery store (living in SoCal, it's easier done than said for me) and buy some adobo.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:16 AM   #9
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

It's about time I started the smoking habit. This weekend I plan on smoking some babybacks as we sustain our new PSR. I'll start out simple with a basic rub and some Sweet Baby Rays for a few minutes on the grill.

Yesterday Matador on CB had a great post on his smoking adventures.
http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=3630782
I'm looking forward to trying some fun things this summer.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:27 PM   #10
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

I have a WSM, and it workds great. I had an old Brinkman bullet smoker years ago, and the Weber is far superior in temperature control. I use the Minion method, and have had stuff cooking overnight. The temperature keeps remakably constant, I come out in the morning, and it is within a couple degrees of where I left it the night before.

I'm in North Carolina, so I usually do Pork Shoulder. it's more difficult to get a good brisket out here (with all the fat on it), and my wife doesn't much like ribs. When we are on the late schedule at church, I'll often wake up early and start it going. When we get home from church, it is ready to go.

I need to work on my rub. Usually I just throw together a bunch of what is in the pantry. Even with no rub, it turns out awfully good, but a good rub can really kick it up a notch.

What sort of wood do you use? I have a friend that has a lot of good trees, so whenever they do some trimming, I pick some up. Mainly I get Apple, Peach, and Pecan. I like them better then the wood I get at Lowe's or whatever.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote