cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2008, 07:15 PM   #11
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

Actually I think the Church has made the proclomation to the family, it's pretty well spelled out their position, and I'm just curious what others will think if they come out with a completely hard stand in a few years.

Then again maybe they will cave into the Gay rights activitists and decide that in order for self preservation they will allow Bill and Ted to get married in the Temple, surely God will allow all his children the same blessings.
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:20 PM   #12
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Blue View Post
Actually I think the Church has made the proclomation to the family, it's pretty well spelled out their position, and I'm just curious what others will think if they come out with a completely hard stand in a few years.

Then again maybe they will cave into the Gay rights activitists and decide that in order for self preservation they will allow Bill and Ted to get married in the Temple, surely God will allow all his children the same blessings.
I really don't see the church ever allowing gay temple sealings. If it does, I can see a serious crack developing in my faith.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:21 PM   #13
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Maybe that will be the great sifting. What will you do?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:24 PM   #14
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
I really don't see the church ever allowing gay temple sealings. If it does, I can see a serious crack developing in my faith.
I agree.

Cue a "That's what pre-1978 Mormons said about blacks" post.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:24 PM   #15
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Are you saying the church doesn't have any stands that you don't agree with. Is that your point.

Back in the sixties they had a stand against using birth control. The question could have been asked about the hard stand on birth control back then. It went the opposite direction.

I think the bigger worry would be for someone like you if the church in 20 years comes out and allows Bill and Ted to marry in the Temple. What will you do then.

For me, it doesn't matter either way. As far as how God wants to handle it, it goes way above my pay grade.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:26 PM   #16
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Why would that develop a crack in your faith?

The Gay rights people keep telling the church it's none of the churches business what takes place behind closed doors, that they don't have the right to regulate morality in the civil world.

If the Church follows suit with the civil world the next logical step would be full access to temple marriage, after all God would certainly wish for Bill and Ted to be toghether for the eternities as a happily married, sealed for eternity couple.

I suppose women would just become a way to carry children for any and all couples wishing to adopt and have them sealed to them for the eternities.
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:27 PM   #17
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I agree.

I don't see the correlation. Maybe I'm narrow-minded.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:29 PM   #18
Spaz

Quote:
Why would that develop a crack in your faith?

The Gay rights people keep telling the church it's none of the churches business what takes place behind closed doors, that they don't have the right to regulate morality in the civil world.

If the Church follows suit with the civil world the next logical step would be full access to temple marriage, after all God would certainly wish for Bill and Ted to be toghether for the eternities as a happily married, sealed for eternity couple.

I suppose women would just become a way to carry children for any and all couples wishing to adopt and have them sealed to them for the eternities.
Because gay sex is against the doctrine of the church. For the church to do a 180 on this particular doctrine would shake my faith.

In other words, I don't believe God approves of a Ted & Bill marriage, and would certainly not honor an eternal sealing of such.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:33 PM   #19
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I agree.

I sure hope they don't allow gays to marry in the Temple then. I would hate to see you have a crack in your faith. We need all the "true to the faith" folks in here we can get. I hope Indy doesn't feel the same way you do.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:33 PM   #20
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't see the correlation. Maybe I'm narrow-minded.
There are those who felt that that denial of the priesthood to blacks was rooted in scripture, an eternal principle, and never would change. That kind of reticence is cited by pro-gay Mormons, when pro-marriage Mormons cite those same reasons for why homosexuality will never be normalized by the church.

It's a wholly specious argument, by the way.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote