cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2008, 04:47 AM   #1
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road
Default Washington D.C. is a mess...

and I'm not just talking about what goes on in the capital building. I took the family out to the east coast this past week for the family vacation and our last stop was Washington. I was amazed at how poorly they keep up the grounds. Unmowed lawns, temporary wooden fences strung all over the mall, trash scattered from the Lincoln Memorial to the capital building. The visitors from foreign countries cannot be that impressed. They need to fire a couple of the higher ups and use the money to clean the place up a little.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:06 AM   #2
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
and I'm not just talking about what goes on in the capital building. I took the family out to the east coast this past week for the family vacation and our last stop was Washington. I was amazed at how poorly they keep up the grounds. Unmowed lawns, temporary wooden fences strung all over the mall, trash scattered from the Lincoln Memorial to the capital building. The visitors from foreign countries cannot be that impressed. They need to fire a couple of the higher ups and use the money to clean the place up a little.
Yeah, I am disappointed in the maintenance of the mall as well. The ellipse is the same. Why did they convert that into softball fields with dying grass? I would certainly think they could spring for a modest sprinkler system to maintain the lawn better and could definitely pick up the trash.

Believe it or not, it is better now than it used to be. For years after 9/11, the entire mall was covered with jersey blocks (not to mention anti-aircraft missiles). It looked awful. The renovations to the Washington Monument have seriously improved the look, as have the renovations to the Capitol Building. It is getting better, but isn't good enough.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:42 AM   #3
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

By the way, my post about the ellipse made me think of the worst monument in DC- the Boy Scout Memorial (located on the ellipse).

Somebody didn't think this one through all the way.

Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

There is always some kind of event going on downtown and on the mall specifically. Even when it isn't a walk for Cancer or a worthy cause, you have a lot of social networking softball, kickball, and ultimate Frisbee leagues going on there, and yes, people trash the place. It's unfortunate too because there is so much to see there and a lot of hidden gems outside of the mall.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:55 PM   #5
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
By the way, my post about the ellipse made me think of the worst monument in DC- the Boy Scout Memorial (located on the ellipse).
We saw that and couldn't believe someone would put that up. This was after we had gone by Arlington and saw the statue of the half naked soldier and the little boy. After the play on Broadway two night before my two sons think the whole east coast is gay.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 12:58 PM   #6
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

That woman has a sweet six pack.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote