cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 09:01 PM   #131
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
After a while I get weary of having my positions re-stated for me over and over in strictly pejorative terms. If you want to believe I'm a tongue-tied chain-yanking moderate-in-extremist's clothing, then by all means.
I would never believe you are tongue-tied.

What is pejorative about what I said? If you mean my short hand descriptions, that is just to make the point in fewer letters (in case you haven't noticed, I am typing challenged) but my more complete descriptions of your positions have not been pejorative at all and it is certainly inaccurate to say they were presented in STRICTLY pejorative terms. Based upon what you have said here, I thihk one is only reasonably left with the four alternatives that I presented above.

I am willing to believe you are what you claim, but what you claim is at odds with some of the evidence and so it appears to me, at least, that inconsistency can be explained by the four options above. Nothing mroe, nothing less. If you want to choose one, feel free, I certanly won't say I know which it is.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:06 PM   #132
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Given how far left socially some of the posters here are, it just appears to them that the moderates are more extreme than they really are.
You believe anybody on this board is far left socially? In what bowl have you lived in?
Old 06-26-2007, 09:22 PM   #133
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
Sure, I'll give you the same reverence I have for Ghandi. Ghandi was a moron who advocated that the Jews sacrifice themselves to Hitler. Thus, all the reverence I have for him (none) I can easily give to you as well.
Thank you for your kind words and charity. I am not surprised that you don't like Gandhi, since you are his polar opposite, in that he is a little skinny nicey.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:27 PM   #134
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
Thank you for your kind words and charity. I am not surprised that you don't like Gandhi, since you are his polar opposite, in that he is a little skinny nicey.
LOL. Excellent.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:27 PM   #135
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I would never believe you are tongue-tied.

What is pejorative about what I said? If you mean my short hand descriptions, that is just to make the point in fewer letters (in case you haven't noticed, I am typing challenged) but my more complete descriptions of your positions have not been pejorative at all and it is certainly inaccurate to say they were presented in STRICTLY pejorative terms. Based upon what you have said here, I thihk one is only reasonably left with the four alternatives that I presented above.

I am willing to believe you are what you claim, but what you claim is at odds with some of the evidence and so it appears to me, at least, that inconsistency can be explained by the four options above. Nothing mroe, nothing less. If you want to choose one, feel free, I certanly won't say I know which it is.
We've gone from two to five (I submitted one you dismissed), and I'll bet if we think real hard we could come up with a few more. Though I've been trained to be an analytical thinker (Computer Science), I don't feel this need to parse my posting style into neat little rows of pigeonholes, and then cram the Cougarguard View of Tex into one of them. In addition, I feel a little narcissistic by perpetuating this conversation further. If you'd like to continue via private messaging, feel free. Otherwise, I think I'm done postulating on the reason why CGers want to tattoo "extremist" on my forehead.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 06-26-2007 at 09:30 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:28 PM   #136
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
You believe anybody on this board is far left socially? In what bowl have you lived in?
According to that graph Chino posted, mastershake's pretty far out there.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:37 PM   #137
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I'm just looking at the poll results.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:42 PM   #138
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

My take on the survey results:

I've taken the same test several times, and although the results have been different, I've ended up in the same quadrant each time. (However, my recollection of past results is that I've previously been much closer to the center than I am now).

Also, I suspect that economic issues are far more esoteric to many of us, to the point that we really identify with "left" and "right" as they pertain to social issues (i.e., the authoritarian/libertarian part of the scale). I would think that the measures on the up and down scale here would be far more consistent with our personal impressions of the various posters.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:32 PM   #139
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
Charity is for suckers. Little skinny niceys are morons - always letting themselves get pushed around, not standing up for themselves, whining about peace, love, and all that other nonsense...
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:09 PM   #140
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
Charity is for suckers. Little skinny niceys are morons - always letting themselves get pushed around, not standing up for themselves, whining about peace, love, and all that other nonsense...
I like your style.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote