cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2009, 07:27 PM   #81
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Not recent, but the first of what I found about Economic Department rankings.

http://www.econphd.net/rank/rallec.htm
at 193 worldwide, we're probably the highest without graduate students.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:30 PM   #82
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
All right, then, but let's be consistent. If Obama now gets all of the blame for the bad economy, then Bush should get all of the blame for the worst attack upon American Soil since Pearl Harbor.
Heh, yeah. That's consistent.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:36 PM   #83
ChinoCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I love BYU, or what it could be.

It has a good body of intelligent students, whom if guided properly could be motivated to do great things. Instead we often encourage them toward mediocrity so that they can remain in Happy Valley living ordinary lives and failing to bless the lives of our world.

Since Bushman, I have been quite discouraged with the direction of BYU. The current law school seems to have lost its direction, as opposed to its leadership under Hawkins and Rex Lee.

It just seems they wish to remain a glorified church seminary, promoting us to seek money but almost nothing else. Interesting irony.
How many years removed are you from graduation? That's what I thought. You have no clue what's going on.

Donate or shut up.

Last edited by ChinoCoug; 07-08-2009 at 07:40 PM.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #84
ChinoCoug

Here is a better measure of success for an undergraduate teaching institution:

Quote:
As a result, BYU economics students annually are admitted to the nation’s top PhD programs—not to mention business and law schools—and former BYU economics students teach on the faculties of universities such as Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Michigan, and Chicago.
http://magazine.byu.edu/?act=view&a=2074
Old 07-08-2009, 09:05 PM   #85
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Heh, yeah. That's consistent.
The point, in case you missed it (and you clearly did), I believe is that Obama has been in office for less than 6 months and you are saying the economy is all his now. Bush was in office for a bit over 8 months when 9/11 occurred. Shouldn't that be all his too?

Alternatively, you could take the more honest position that responsibility cannot be allocated solely to one individual or party, but you won't.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:36 PM   #86
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

FYI, I have no interest in discussing this with Cali. If AA chooses to weigh in again, I'll respond to him in turn.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:02 PM   #87
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
How many years removed are you from graduation? That's what I thought. You have no clue what's going on.

Donate or shut up.
I follow much more closely than you would care to imagine, listen carefully to the public pronouncements from administration, speak to my several professor frineds and investigate the status of the several schools which interest me.

Ever since Bateman and Samuelson, BYU has suffered academically.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:07 PM   #88
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
Here is a better measure of success for an undergraduate teaching institution:

http://magazine.byu.edu/?act=view&a=2074
Wow, that's an impressive survey.

BYU has many excellent students. However, get back to me when Harvard's Economic Chair got her degree at BYU, the Economics Chair at London School of Economics is from BYU and the acting partners at the Wall Street institutions hail from BYU.

Our institution doesn't emphasize publishing enough, doesn't emphasize research enough and doesn't promote itself it enough. There should be a drive to move the school up in the rankings or move out. We need devoted Phd programs in all major disciplines and become a full spectrum university to take advantage of the general hard working students found in the midst.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:02 AM   #89
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
FYI, I have no interest in discussing this with Cali. If AA chooses to weigh in again, I'll respond to him in turn.
Obama has been in office for less than 6 months and you are saying the economy is all his now. Bush was in office for a bit over 8 months when 9/11 occurred. Shouldn't that be all his too?

Now Tex, I'm generally on your side of these debates. I'd say I'm generally on your side in THIS debate. But it won't do to say that 9/11 was a problem Bush inherited from Clinton at the same time as arguing that Obama now bears all of the blame for the economy.

I don't put all of the blame on Bush for 9/11, and I don't think Obama should shoulder all of the blame for the lousy economy. In fact, my biggest criticism of Obama is that he thinks he can he can cure it. He'll spend trillions of dollars trying to right a ship that will right itself in due time if he'd just leave it alone. Watching him exert so much blunt force on so intricate a thing as the national economy is like watching an elephant try a flamenco dance. And he's bet trillions of dollars that it will work.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:47 AM   #90
ChinoCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
The point, in case you missed it (and you clearly did), I believe is that Obama has been in office for less than 6 months and you are saying the economy is all his now. Bush was in office for a bit over 8 months when 9/11 occurred. Shouldn't that be all his too?

Alternatively, you could take the more honest position that responsibility cannot be allocated solely to one individual or party, but you won't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Obama has been in office for less than 6 months and you are saying the economy is all his now. Bush was in office for a bit over 8 months when 9/11 occurred. Shouldn't that be all his too?

Now Tex, I'm generally on your side of these debates. I'd say I'm generally on your side in THIS debate. But it won't do to say that 9/11 was a problem Bush inherited from Clinton at the same time as arguing that Obama now bears all of the blame for the economy.

I don't put all of the blame on Bush for 9/11, and I don't think Obama should shoulder all of the blame for the lousy economy. In fact, my biggest criticism of Obama is that he thinks he can he can cure it. He'll spend trillions of dollars trying to right a ship that will right itself in due time if he'd just leave it alone. Watching him exert so much blunt force on so intricate a thing as the national economy is like watching an elephant try a flamenco dance. And he's bet trillions of dollars that it will work.
We're still pumping out students to the best law schools, right? Georgetown #14, NYU at #5?