cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A family friend has been out on his mission about 4 months...

I heard today that he was coming home -- I was quickly assured, though, that it was for medical reasons and was "honorable". It turns out he is suffering from depression. Is this becoming an epidemic? When I was a missionary we didn't have that out, and my mission was pretty depressing. I don't think anyone goes through a two year mission without being depressed every now and again. I thought today's kids were all supposed to be valiant warriors in the pre-existence. How come they're so soft now?
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:19 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

It does seem strange that so many young people can be diagnosed to be clinically depressed. In our day, that diagnosis was uncommon, but it seems almost commonplace.

My service occurred in a country where one taught almost no investigators, experienced virtually no baptisms, and walked around in cold, wet weather all day long. Yes, there were depressing days, but you toughed that aspect out. Kids today can be a bit wimpy.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I heard today that he was coming home -- I was quickly assured, though, that it was for medical reasons and was "honorable". It turns out he is suffering from depression. Is this becoming an epidemic? When I was a missionary we didn't have that out, and my mission was pretty depressing. I don't think anyone goes through a two year mission without being depressed every now and again. I thought today's kids were all supposed to be valiant warriors in the pre-existence. How come they're so soft now?
Non-seq, Those of us who served in Guayaquil, Ecuador and didn't get depressed have an iron constitution.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:43 PM   #4
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Non-seq, Those of us who served in Guayaquil, Ecuador and didn't get depressed have an iron constitution.
Constant 80% humidity with 90 degree heat. No hot water. Raw sewage running down the street. Got robbed 3 times. It was paradise.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:01 PM   #5
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

We lost a couple during my mission. They never called it depression back then though. They always referred to it as a "chemical imbalance".
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:55 AM   #6
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

The real question is, is someone born depressed, or is it a choice?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:59 AM   #7
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

My guess is that while there may be some wimps who want to go home, there's enough shame involved in returning that those who do are legit. Missions are also the age that many psychiatric disorders first appear. Take it easy on people, depression isn't a sign of moral weakness.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:46 AM   #8
malapert

malapert is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
My guess is that while there may be some wimps who want to go home, there's enough shame involved in returning that those who do are legit. Missions are also the age that many psychiatric disorders first appear. Take it easy on people, depression isn't a sign of moral weakness.
BS, these are kids who grew up being given trophies for "participating" on soccer teams from ages 4 to 12. Didn't matter that they lost every game.

This is the generation whose sense of entitlement comes from being molly coddled their entire lives. Their parents ran to their defense every time an elementary school teacher didn't give them straight "A"s and perfect citizenship marks.

These kids now think they are entitled to a life devoid of pressure, challenge and obstacles. They're soft. They want their mom when the going gets a little tough.

Quit making excuses for them danimal. Let me guess, danimal is under 30 years of age.

"He has all the virtues I dislike--and none of the vices I admire." -Winston Churchill

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends." -Oscar Wilde

"In order to avoid being called a flirt, she always yielded easily." -Charles, Count Talleyrand
malapert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:54 AM   #9
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by malapert View Post
BS, these are kids who grew up being given trophies for "participating" on soccer teams from ages 4 to 12. Didn't matter that they lost every game.

This is the generation whose sense of entitlement comes from being molly coddled their entire lives. Their parents ran to their defense every time an elementary school teacher didn't give them straight "A"s and perfect citizenship marks.

These kids now think they are entitled to a life devoid of pressure, challenge and obstacles. They're soft. They want their mom when the going gets a little tough.

Quit making excuses for them danimal. Let me guess, danimal is under 30 years of age.
You really believe that depression is caused by giving trophies to kids who don't win soccer games? You're a regular mental health expert.

Sadly, many people suffer from mental illness and are stigmatized into feeling like crap because of folks like you.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:56 AM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
Mental illness is serious, but it appears depression is thrown around loosely to excuse any time somebody feels badly for himself. As malapert stated, many of these are simply, coddled and soft middle class kids who can't hack it.