cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 03:36 AM   #1
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Well, it's back down to earth I guess...

I was really hoping we could put some points on the board against BC and I even thought we might pull out a W. Oh well.

I'm not giving up on the season or making too many judgments yet about coaches and players. It was obvious to me by late in the 1st quarter that BC was an all around better team. I think they'll be tough all year and that much of the sting of this loss will be removed as the weeks pass and we see how good they are.

That being said, the offense was eerily reminiscent of the last 3 years. I can't imagine that the team won't improve over the next few weeks. But if they don't we could be in for a long season. I thought Beck looked sharper and had the short game down much better. We just need a running game and soon.

Here's to beating up on Eastern Illinois Community College next week!
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 05:10 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

not yet scoring a touchdown felt like going out with a girl you like but are not sure if she likes you or doesn't care about you.

You haven't hit paydirt yet.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 08:49 PM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I didn't see any of the BYU/BC game...

Was the Y limited to 3 points because of inept play, the BC defense or a combination of both?

According to a few quotes in today's papers, a few players seem convinced that BYO shot itself in the foot rather than BC having something to do with it.

How did the defense look overall? Was it overmatched? Could it have been worse?

Just a few questions from a curious Ute.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 08:53 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

the defense could have been worse. BC was not really able to capitalize on our secondary. Missed open receivers. Our tackling esp. in the secondary was poor.

BC won the battle in the trenches for the most part, esp. at the end of the game. Defense didn't have the excuse of being on the field forever, because at least at the beginning we dominated time of possession.

Offense was dink and dunk. Beck choked on 3rd downs. 4 of 16.

While we may have shot ourselves in the foot, one came away with the feeling that against a defensive team such as BC we would have a very hard time scoring touchdowns with this offense.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 09:13 PM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thanks for that info..

it sounds like it was more a case of first-game jitters against a better team than anything else. Nothing to lose sleep over, really.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:24 PM   #6
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Interesting game

BC is a good football team but not so good as to have held this offense to 3 points.

The offensive line made many errors but that is only a small part of the story. The O-line gave up one sack! Beck made the easy pass, which in this offense ensures 60 + % pass completions. He (is?) was unable to make the hard throws and is consitently inaccaruate. Nothing over the past three years have convinced me that he will ever be able to place the intermediate, over the middle or long throw allowing the receiver any chance at yac. He also seemed tentative and more interested in self preservation than making plays!

I thought BYU's defense was adequate against a first game conservative offense that could consistently move the ball on any one.

I feel there were many posititves to take from this game and in general am not that worried. I predicted a loss and expected some rookie coaching mistakes. How this team bounces back will be a true test of Bronco's coaching ability ... this team will have to score points like BYU teams of old in order to win games! Note I predicte 5 wins this season.

Ask me about the Utah game and I will tell you Ute fans should be a little more worried. Arizona is terrible ofensively. Their defense wasn't much better! Ganther is impressive and Brian Johnson will struggle against better teams -and not merely because he is 18 and this is his first season as a starter. That said he could be very good if the Utes truly ran the offense of the past couple of seasons ... Ludwig will not change his spots and it will be a point of difficulty all season.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 01:17 AM   #7
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Interesting game

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue
Nothing over the past three years have convinced me that he will ever be able to place the intermediate, over the middle or long throw allowing the receiver any chance at yac.
This is an aspect of the game where I feel that Berry is better than Beck. There's part of me that would really like to see Berry on the field this season as I think the guy got the short end of the stick in his career with the Y. I'm not bagging on Beck or saying that he didn't earn the right to start, I've just been wanting to see what an older and healthier Berry might be able to do. More curiosity than anything I guess.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote