cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 06:48 PM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thanks for that info..

I understand that I'm going to have to spend a bit of money and I'll look into your suggestion. I don't mind spending double what I'd like if it's necesssary if it will serve me well.

As for Miele, I'm only familiar with it because it comes from Italy and I saw a lot of bikes on my mission that had Miele frames.

And I'm assuming you knew my comment about the Schwinn was TIC. My affinity for all things cheap should be well known by now on message boards across the country. :wink:

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 07:07 PM   #12
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
My understanding is that the best way to lose weight and get in shape is some sort of areobic exercise which reminds me that I need to find a good road bike.
There is no better way to lose weight than a combination of lifting and diet with cardio thrown in. Weight lifting burns more fat than a cardio session but must be follwed up with proper diet. I have not found a better way to cut weight than the Body for Life routine which is basically the "cutting" phase of most bodybuilders. You lift 3X per week and do cardio for 30 minutes 3X per week. In addition you eat 6 meals per day but these are smaller meals ( a protein approx. size of your fist and a carb approx size of your palm). You will lose 2 pounds a week. I cut 30 pounds and dropped my body fat from 26% (horrible I know) to 13%. My wife dropped 70 pounds doing the same program after her last baby. She is currently at 10% bodyfat. She lifts VERY hard.

The only way to gain weight from lifting is to EAT and EAT More. After I dropped all that fat, I wanted to add muscle. So I did the 6 meals a day but made them all much larger. I still ate clean. I went from 179 (I'm a shade over 6' 1") to 195 over 6 months and my bodyfat actually dropped. I'm now up to 205, but stopped eating clean and I'd bet most of the last 10 pounds is fat. I need to start eating right again.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 07:09 PM   #13
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
I currently have the 600$ special bike, to which I added 500$ wheels. But I am thinking of upgrading to the above bike: scattante CFR from supergo. My dad just bought one and I'll get a first look/ride this weekend.
Mike, did you see the write up on this bike in bicycling magazine last month?
Old 08-24-2005, 07:41 PM   #14
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

What Steelblue said is what I meant to say:

Quote:
There is no better way to lose weight than a combination of lifting and diet with cardio thrown in. Weight lifting burns more fat than a cardio session but must be follwed up with proper diet
Good for you wife for dropping that weight, but tell here that while she may be eating for two while pregnant, technically one of those is really small, so an extra bite will suffice.

Isn't 10% body fat too low for a woman. I thought they stopped menstrating if they got below that.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 07:51 PM   #15
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney
Isn't 10% body fat too low for a woman. I thought they stopped menstrating if they got below that.
Yes it is very low for a woman. However, she feels very good and looks very healthy. The testing may be off as I was performing it and I am no expert. However, I don't think it's too far off.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:10 PM   #16
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Many thanks for this info...

Steel:

Thanks for posting that. I guess I've been under the wrong impression all along about losing weight/lifting. It's always good to learn something, eh?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 10:18 PM   #17
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default if you want to lose....

weight lifting weights is an excellent way to expediate the process....

the body for life website has some excellent weight training routines that quicken the weight loss process.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote