cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 07:36 PM   #1
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ramblings from a former Pollyanna.

I was a Crowton supporter throughout the time he spent in Provo. I certainly could understand the frustrations with the man as a coach and I fully understood that he wasn't bringing increased success (read wins) to the program. I was frustrated with those who were so intent on getting rid of him though for one main reason. That reason was that besides Andy Reid I wasn't positive that there was anybody out there who was guaranteed to be any better than GC.

By the time last season was coming to a close I had accepted the fact that GC was a goner. I became excited about new possibilities and of course hoped for somebody who could right the ship in season 1. I thought maybe that guy would be KW or perhaps Chow. I was not thrilled when I found out it was Bronco. I liked the way his D had played the previous 2 seasons, but I wasn't sure exactly how this was any big upgrade from GC.

As the offseason progressed I became a big fan of Bronco. I got caught up in the hype of the new attitude. The new accountability. The return to glory. But unfortunately I've come back full circle. I think now that I was probably correct in my original concerns that there really isn't anybody in the hiring pool that is/was any better than GC. My bottom line is that there is no reason that this team should be worse than last years team. The players are older, the schedule is much easier, the attitude is better, the coach is holding people accountable. But, to this point I think that last years' team was better than this years team. I believe last years team would be 3-1 or no worse than 2-2.

I think we fired the best LDS coach available. We got impatient and demanded change and there was plenty of evidence to support a need for change. However, there wasn't much evidence that anybody in the applicant pool was a significant upgrade. Now the impatience is brewing again but who is out there? Nobody. I'll repeat it; I think we may have fired the best LDS coach not named Andy Reid and I'm not sure we can expect anybody to do better than Gary did while he was here. I think the program may have been better off giving him 1-2 more years. I'm not saying the results would have been too much different than they were in the 3 years previous, but to this point the new guy is doing worse.

So, I'm going to continue to root for the team and hope that Bronco eventually succeeds. If we grow impatient again and make another quick change I think we'll see continued decline. There just isn't anybody else out there right now.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 08:13 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default This Ute's opinion...

Mendenhall is repeating the same mistake that Crowton made; that is, he's pulling double duty as a head coach and defensive Coordinator (OC for Crowton).

If Crowton had and if Mendenhall would just concentrate on duties as a head coach and give the coordinator responsibility to another, there may still be problems, but it would be easier to identify if the guy is head coach material. I don't know who Bronco could have hired for DC, but I'm sure that taking away the unnecessary pressure of coordinating a defense would make it easier to overlook the overall responsibility of running a team.

One only needs to look at the success of Edwards to see my point. Now, it's my understanding that Pete Carroll is pulling double duty at USC, but when you have the depth and superior talent that he has, it is possible to do it. Or, perhaps Carroll is a unique coach in that he does have that ability.

Deposit $0.02

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:30 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

problem is who will be the DC. If you have been the DC, do you really trust someone else to do it (you believe they will do it worse). And your job and livelihood is on the line.

That's why they do double duty. They're afraid to do it any different.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 11:07 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Understood and agreed...

I'm not sure who would have been out there to fill the DC position and it would be tough to give it up.

Whittingham was able to do it, though I suppose his was a different situation in that Gary Anderson had worked with and was familiar with KW's defense.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 11:17 PM   #5
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Is it church or BYU policy to hire only LDS head coaches for major revenue sports? I understand the reason why they would, but if a coach is fully committed to the honor code and practices the moral standards of the church, is there any reason why he could not qualify as our head coach?

I wonder because I agree that our options are very limited for quality head football coaches. While I am still supportive of Bronco simply because of the learning curve for the new offense, injury-riddled defense, etc..., I did feel at the time of his hire that we were "settling" for him.

Is Norm Chow's head on the chopping block yet in Tennessee? Have his feelings been sufficiently hurt that he wouldn't consider a return to Provo?

Additionally, Steve Sark is getting more face time on national tv than any other assistant coach in the country. How does he feel about BYU?

Just wondering...
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:02 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

it's obvious that they are tightening the reins at BYU. Purges of theologically liberal professors. General Authorities appointed as presidents. Cleaning up the athletics program.

Don't expect any radical moves like hiring someone who is not LDS. Not going to happen.

Not unless we have a huge change in the makeup of the BOT, and that of course takes decades.

It's clear to me that the admin is really not committed. Hence I share their level of committment.

Statman even offered me a free ticket and board to the Notre Dame game. It's not worth the time and money for me. It's barely worth gameplan, the way things are going.

Maybe I'll go back to how it was when I was nine. Look at the score in the Sunday paper (it was score only, no stats). Then every so often they would publish the individual statistic leaders. Look for Steve Young's name. Good times. Satellite broadcast, occasional ESPN.

I don't know how I ever became a sports fan. No one in my family is.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:36 AM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Like a dog to his vomit

I keep coming back for more. Don't know why, and my boys and I had a great time Saturday even though the game sucked.

We were passing, and booing. I was really proud how well they have learned to boo the ref, say a play sucked. Wow what a way to make a father proud.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:48 AM   #8
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

I think Cougar fans right now are experiencing a lot of what it was like to follow the Utes in the pre-McBride era of the team. Even during the McBride eras I would question why I really followed the team. I was watching a style of football that I did not enjoy watching and knew would not be successful. I was watching teams consistently underachieve. A lot of people on utefans see me as the most negative fan and I am down right positive compared to what I was back in the late 90's. Despite all this I kept coming back. I kept going to games.

It is because I love the team in its up and downs. I can relate when they are losers because well I'm a loser . I can get excited about when the team is playing great, but if the Utes went back to the previous levels I would still be just as rabid about following them. I would still be going to the sports bar each week to catch the games on gameplan.

I think a lot of following sports come down to the community aspect of it. I moved to Oregon a year ago a state where I knew one person and he was 2 hours away from Portland. I was able to make an immediate connection with a few people because we were Ute fans. To those who do not know me I do not have social skills and do not meet people easily. I was glad to have that to at least talk to a few people. I think despite what some may say about giving up being a cougar fan it will never happen. No matter how bad it gets you will keep coming back. You are identified with the Cougars and it will never go away no matter how much you want it too. Also your program is still nowhere as bad as the pre-McBride Utes so quit your whinning
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote