cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2008, 04:01 PM   #1
sonofchet

sonofchet is on a distinguished road
Default What's with the Hicks?

This post is as much about psychology as it is about cycling, I guess. I'm new to road biking so last Saturday was my first "real" ride on my new bike. I was riding some country roads between Seattle and Mt. Rainier and I noticed that, the farther from the city I got, the more frequently rednecks in pickup trucks would yell stuff at me, honk, or rev their engines as they passed; in an attempt to startle me. My favorite, that actually made me laugh out loud, was the two guys who looked to be in their 30s driving a rusted out pile of crap and yelled, "Nice car, loser!" as they passed (they even slowed down to yell it). At another point in my ride, I rode past a house in which several shirtless men were playing volleyball. They actually stopped their game so they could run over and yell stuff at me. Somehow, to them, yelling at a random stranger on a bicycle was more important to them than what they were previously doing.

Have any of you experienced this phenomenon also? I found it to be very intriguing/perplexing and it led me to ponder some "chicken vs. the egg" type questions. Are some people just born with a certain gene which leads to a certain mentality that results in them becoming hicks and rednecks or is this a result of nurture?

Anyway, I'm just curious if this is wide-spread or if it's just a western Washington thing.
sonofchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofchet View Post
This post is as much about psychology as it is about cycling, I guess. I'm new to road biking so last Saturday was my first "real" ride on my new bike. I was riding some country roads between Seattle and Mt. Rainier and I noticed that, the farther from the city I got, the more frequently rednecks in pickup trucks would yell stuff at me, honk, or rev their engines as they passed; in an attempt to startle me. My favorite, that actually made me laugh out loud, was the two guys who looked to be in their 30s driving a rusted out pile of crap and yelled, "Nice car, loser!" as they passed (they even slowed down to yell it). At another point in my ride, I rode past a house in which several shirtless men were playing volleyball. They actually stopped their game so they could run over and yell stuff at me. Somehow, to them, yelling at a random stranger on a bicycle was more important to them than what they were previously doing.

Have any of you experienced this phenomenon also? I found it to be very intriguing/perplexing and it led me to ponder some "chicken vs. the egg" type questions. Are some people just born with a certain gene which leads to a certain mentality that results in them becoming hicks and rednecks or is this a result of nurture?

Anyway, I'm just curious if this is wide-spread or if it's just a western Washington thing.
No, you will endure this pleasure in many hickvilles, or in Utah quite frequently.

You may even have hicks throw beer cans at you, because they wish to share their favorite beverage with you and wonder if you had forgotten to bring any.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:05 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

at least you are not dead. sometimes they kill you.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:32 PM   #4
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofchet View Post

Someone should really talk to 8ballrollin about putting a shirt on for those Teachers Quorum volleyball activities. Thats just embarassing.

This is the main reason that i ride in the wee hours of the morning. This way the rednecks are either too tired as they head home from the bars or are still asleep on their barstools, suffering from last nights hangover.

You're not alone. Rednecks are everywhere. Except in creekster's East Bay. They can't afford to live there.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

People mock what they don't understand. When they suffer a massive heart attack at age 45 because of their bacon and beer diet we get the last laugh.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:09 PM   #6
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Very Common. In fact most times, if the yelling starts while they are still behind me I try to guess what color the ford high boy is before they pass me.

The funniest thing I have had yelled at me was when I was riding my vespa scooter 5-6 years ago. I had a guy yell at me "Nice car, faggot!"...................He was sitting at a bus stop.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote