cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 04:52 PM   #11
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Luckily he didnt!
I know. You'd have less past to cling to and far more meaningless wins for your beloved Lakers.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:56 PM   #12
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
I know. You'd have less past to cling to and far more meaningless wins for your beloved Lakers.
There would still be about 11 titles there to cling to. Admittedly, not as great as 14.

Speaking of great, what do you think the Jazz record will be this season against in-division opponents? I think they have a great shot of winning most of their games against the Nuggets! They should also do well against the Minnesota Timberwolves!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:00 PM   #13
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
There would still be about 11 titles there to cling to. Admittedly, not as great as 14.

Speaking of great, what do you think the Jazz record will be this season against in-division opponents? I think they have a great shot of winning most of their games against the Nuggets! They should also do well against the Minnesota Timberwolves!
As a BYU fan, do you care about conference games? Were BYU's 11 wins last season meaningless?
Old 10-30-2007, 05:03 PM   #14
TripletDaddy

Quote:
As a BYU fan, do you care about conference games? Were BYU's 11 wins last season meaningless?
Not really. I love the team but we play largely meaningless games in a meaningless conference. I root for BYU because I went there, not because I am deluded into thinking that every game matters for us.

Good continuity check, though.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 10-30-2007, 05:05 PM   #15
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
Not really. I love the team but we play largely meaningless games in a meaningless conference. I root for BYU because I went there, not because I am deluded into thinking that every game matters for us.

Good continuity check, though.
Well shoot. I think if I had your mindset re: sports I'd watch a lot less games and be a lot less invested in my teams.

Maybe that's more healthy.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:22 PM   #16
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Well shoot. I think if I had your mindset re: sports I'd watch a lot less games and be a lot less invested in my teams.

Maybe that's more healthy.
Ironically, I am heavily invested. I go to about half of BYU homes games and this season will attend 3 away games. I also follow SC quite a bit, so Saturday is a college football day in our home...or away from it if we are traveling.

Not sure what this has to do with BYU and the MWC's largely irrelevant status in college football. Or the fact that their games are meaningless, unless playing against a team that is actually playing for something that season....for example, when we played SC back to back.

Our upcoming game against CSU.....will be fun. I wish I could watch. I wish I had the Mtn in OC. The game itself, as well as the outcome....ultimately meaningless.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:33 PM   #17
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Ironically, I am heavily invested. I go to about half of BYU homes games and this season will attend 3 away games. I also follow SC quite a bit, so Saturday is a college football day in our home...or away from it if we are traveling.

Not sure what this has to do with BYU and the MWC's largely irrelevant status in college football. Or the fact that their games are meaningless, unless playing against a team that is actually playing for something that season....for example, when we played SC back to back.

Our upcoming game against CSU.....will be fun. I wish I could watch. I wish I had the Mtn in OC. The game itself, as well as the outcome....ultimately meaningless.
So TD who did you root for in 03 and 04?
Old 10-30-2007, 05:36 PM   #18
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
So TD who did you root for in 03 and 04?
BYU, my friend. BYU. The only time I root against SC.

I went to the Coliseum, sat in the BYU section and watched that miserable keyboard player belt out our Fight Song inaudibly. I thought we were going to pull it off in the 4th quarter...until Mike Williams took over.

The next year, we got demolished in Provo, but I went to the game with a close friend/BYU fan and my brother his friend (SC fans). We had a great time.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:48 PM   #19
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
BYU, my friend. BYU. The only time I root against SC.

I went to the Coliseum, sat in the BYU section and watched that miserable keyboard player belt out our Fight Song inaudibly. I thought we were going to pull it off in the 4th quarter...until Mike Williams took over.

The next year, we got demolished in Provo, but I went to the game with a close friend/BYU fan and my brother his friend (SC fans). We had a great time.
I sat in the endzone with the BYU fans in that game as well in 2003, that was a great game, USC fans were very loud and obnoxious at the beginning and then they quickly quieted down for the next 2 1/2 quarters.

The next year I was in row 1 of the north end zone at BYU ( I was actually on TV several times) and when Reggie Bush broke his long TD run I held out my arms hoping I would have the chance to touch greatness.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:58 PM   #20
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I sat in the endzone with the BYU fans in that game as well in 2003, that was a great game, USC fans were very loud and obnoxious at the beginning and then they quickly quieted down for the next 2 1/2 quarters.

The next year I was in row 1 of the north end zone at BYU ( I was actually on TV several times) and when Reggie Bush broke his long TD run I held out my arms hoping I would have the chance to touch greatness.
From what I understand, many coeds touched Reggie's greatness over the 3 seasons he was on campus.

Brynn Cameron touched Matt Leinart's greatness for awhile. But she also touched Rudy Carpenter's greatness. She wont settle for anything less than D-1 starting QB greatness, it seems.

On a serious note, BYU fans forget that LenDale had 1 TD, as well, and rushed for over 100 yards himself. Frankly, we never had a chance in that game. Dont forget, if he wasnt handing off to Thunder and Lightening, he was passing to Steve Smith and D-Jarrett in that game. What a team that was.