cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Arrogant US soccer fans--another soccer post

http://www.cougarboard.com/nologin/m...tml?id=2833573

This reminds me another thing about soccer.

Soccer fans are dominated by nerdy, soccer geeks who were too unathletic to play any other sport so they made it in soccer, where in most states you could play high school varsity soccer if you had a pulse.

My kids play competitive soccer. It is dominated by the same kids. Girls competitive soccer in Utah not so much--the best girl athletes play soccer along with softball or volleyball basketball whatever. The boys--only the nerdy soccer kids who specialize in soccer are on the competitive teams past about age 10.

This group forms the foundation of US soccer fans. They are arrogant. They are not sports fans. They are soccer fans. They have some wierdo thing with copying all British terminology--pitch, side, pace, skill, etc.

For soccer to become popular in US, we have to take it back from the soccer nerds. We have to Americanize it. It's OK to say a soccer team is fast out there on the field. Not the side has pace on the pitch. Yuck! It's OK for Americans to develop their own uniqueness in the soccer world (even improve on it??!!) and not mimic Europe on everything.

For soccer to become popular, football and basketball and baseball guys have got to like it. Kids have got to play through high school in soccer that are double sport or triple sport kids with football or basketball. You have to have the jocks and the cool kids buy into it.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:58 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Popularity will never truly increase until it becomes like baseball, where fathers and sons use it to bond together.

You never hear about "Soccer Dads", do you? An increase in soccer popularity is at least two generations away, at which time it is probably rendered moot by most apocalyptic calculations.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 07-16-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
[
My kids play competitive soccer. It is dominated by the same kids. Girls competitive soccer in Utah not so much--the best girl athletes play soccer along with softball or volleyball basketball whatever. The boys--only the nerdy soccer kids who specialize in soccer are on the competitive teams past about age 10.
I disagree. I played football at a Utah HS within the last 10 years, and the stars on the soccer team, all kids who were talented soccer guys, they all also played Football. Most of them weren't on the basketball team as well, but they were good basketball players. Good athletes. Most of them played football too, and not as kickers. Skill position guys, CBs, WRs and RBs.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:01 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

We're too diverse.

In many cultures, one or two sports dominate culture.

In our culture, we have so many that it impossible for all to capture the imagination. And I disagree with you. Swimming is where nerdy, middle class kids with little or no athletic talent hide.

Soccer depends on origin. Many talented immigrants play soccer.

Whether we borrow terminology is irrelevant, but finding the talent to participate is the key. Plus it's dang expensive to support.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:06 PM   #5
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't care if soccer ever becomes popular.

Neither does most of America.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:07 PM   #6
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Plus it's dang expensive to support.

There is no reason for this. Of baseball, football, basketball, and soccer, it should be the cheapest. In Utah competitive soccer, there are many levels of administration with lots of hand in the pot. Youth soccer coaches are more likely to get paid than any of the other sports. The demand can handle this because it mostly consists of upper class to rich folk whose kids can't make it in the other sports.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:09 PM   #7
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The demand can handle this because it mostly consists of upper class to rich folk whose kids can't make it in the other sports.
No. That's where golf and tennis come in.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:12 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
No. That's where golf and tennis come in.
swimming is in the same category. only kids of yuppies do swimming.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:14 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
There is no reason for this. Of baseball, football, basketball, and soccer, it should be the cheapest. In Utah competitive soccer, there are many levels of administration with lots of hand in the pot. Youth soccer coaches are more likely to get paid than any of the other sports. The demand can handle this because it mostly consists of upper class to rich folk whose kids can't make it in the other sports.
Well I spend far too much for supporting youth soccer and volleyball.

I would state the sports with the least talent are swimming (I was a swimmer I should know), tennis and golf.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:21 PM   #10
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
swimming is in the same category. only kids of yuppies do swimming.
Ouch.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote