cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 07:22 PM   #21
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy
The day the NBA starts inviting less than half of the entire league and teams with losing records to the playoffs is the day I start caring about individual regular season games, particularly the opening day game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
When did they start a league called the NBA? I can't even tell you who won last season. Was it the Spurs or an eastern team?
Look, I don't go into cycling threads and ask when cycling became a sport, okay? If you don't care about the NBA, don't post in NBA-centric threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
Also, The U, having won no championships, should not be talking trash to, say, Nebraska, which has won multiple.
If Utah scheduled and beat Nebraska this year, of course they can talk trash. What's Nebraska going to rebut it with? "We were great fifteen years ago"?

Give me a break.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:33 PM   #22
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
If Utah scheduled and beat Nebraska this year, of course they can talk trash. What's Nebraska going to rebut it with? "We were great fifteen years ago"?

Give me a break.
Enjoy the regular season wins! Go Jazz!....A relatively more awesome team than some other teams, depending on the outcome of the last game to have been played.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:36 PM   #23
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Enjoy the regular season wins! Go Jazz!....A relatively more awesome team than some other teams, depending on the outcome of the last game to have been played.
Admirable summary of how I feel about this subject.

You're only better than a team if you beat them the last time you played. That's why we play sports... to decide this kind of thing. You can't say because Utah beat UCLA who beat BYU that Utah is better than BYU. There are many logical fallacies in this type of reasoning... only way to know for sure is if a game is played between them.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:37 PM   #24
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Look, I don't go into cycling threads and ask when cycling became a sport, okay? If you don't care about the NBA, don't post in NBA-centric threads.

Give me a break.
Oh, I care about the NBA, but the NBA has been its own worst enemy for years and simply isn't what it used to be. The NBA is marginally more interesting than the late 90s/early 00s, so I still hold hope for the future.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:39 PM   #25
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Oh, I care about the NBA, but the NBA has been its own worst enemy for years and simply isn't what it used to be. The NBA is marginally more interesting than the late 90s/early 00s, so I still hold hope for the future.
When were the NBA's golden years, in your opinion?
Old 10-29-2007, 07:47 PM   #26
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
No opinion needed. The Bird Magic era transformed the NBA into prime time entertainment and took the game global.

MJ took the game to a new level from a marketing perspective, and 2 3-peats was amazing, but the Celtics/Lakers rivalry of the 80s is something that still lives on today.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:48 PM   #27
Indy Coug

Quote:
Whatever year before the Detroit Pistons Bad Boys ruined the game.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:01 PM   #28
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
Whatever year before the Detroit Pistons Bad Boys ruined the game.
By their physical play?
Old 10-29-2007, 08:07 PM   #29
Indy Coug

Quote:
By their physical play?
Yes. It forever changed the nature of the game by introducing a level of physicality to the game that didn't exist prior to that. The failure of the NBA to quash that trend back around 1990 and the success of that tactic, caused it to be adopted by many other teams.

Riley went from Showtime in LA to ClutchandGrabTime in NY and Miami because the more physical style of play allowed those much less talented teams to compete for the NBA title.

The pace of the game slowed, the level of offensive talent dropped in favor of big, athletic guys who were low on actual basketball skills.

I really hope the resurgence in aggressive offensive basketball (Phoenix, Golden State, Washington, etc.) proves to be successful enough, both on the court and in the TV ratings to be adopted by more NBA teams in the near future.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:11 PM   #30
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
Yes. It forever changed the nature of the game by introducing a level of physicality to the game that didn't exist prior to that. The failure of the NBA to quash that trend back around 1990 and the success of that tactic, caused it to be adopted by many other teams.

Riley went from Showtime in LA to ClutchandGrabTime in NY and Miami because the more physical style of play allowed those much less talented teams to compete for the NBA title.

The pace of the game slowed, the level of offensive talent dropped in favor of big, athletic guys who were low on actual basketball skills.

I really hope the resurgence in aggressive offensive basketball (Phoenix, Golden State, Washington, etc.) proves to be successful enough, both on the court and in the TV ratings to be adopted by more NBA teams in the near future.
That's interesting. A couple years ago Stern set some hard rules against hand-checking and the like... to the point that fans feel frustrated when Wade can throw himself at the hoop and earn a trip to the foul line every time.

It's a tough balance to strike.