cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 01:16 AM   #1
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve
Default Welcome, Joe Torre.

Grady, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Torre will be a much needed respected presence in that crazy clubhouse right now.

And I wonder what offseason moves we will see now that a player's coach like Torre is running the show?

The dodgers need a power bat.....and I think there is one available right now on the market...

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:18 AM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Grady, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Torre will be a much needed respected presence in that crazy clubhouse right now.

And I wonder what offseason moves we will see now that a player's coach like Torre is running the show?

The dodgers need a power bat.....and I think there is one available right now on the market...
Yes congrats on the Joe Torre signing, he would have been a great hire if this was 1996. The game has passed him by, expect the same old dodgers this year. Maybe 80-85 wins, a huge payroll, and watching the playoffs from home.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:31 AM   #3
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Yes congrats on the Joe Torre signing, he would have been a great hire if this was 1996. The game has passed him by, expect the same old dodgers this year. Maybe 80-85 wins, a huge payroll, and watching the playoffs from home.
I am not expecting Torre to win 4 rings in LA. I am hoping he can get the team to get along and focus.

You are right...until they sign a power bat and one more pitcher (unless Schmidt isnt injured), they are not a contender.

I seem to recall the Yankee faithful panning the Torre signing back in the day. "Clueless Joe" was the infamous headline that he saved and hung on his office wall.

Junkie, being in Utah, which baseball team do you co-opt? Or do you not care about baseball?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-02-2007, 01:50 AM   #4
cougjunkie

Quote:
I am not expecting Torre to win 4 rings in LA. I am hoping he can get the team to get along and focus.

You are right...until they sign a power bat and one more pitcher (unless Schmidt isnt injured), they are not a contender.

I seem to recall the Yankee faithful panning the Torre signing back in the day. "Clueless Joe" was the infamous headline that he saved and hung on his office wall.

Junkie, being in Utah, which baseball team do you co-opt? Or do you not care about baseball?
I grew up in the bay area so I am a Giants fan. My favorite player of All-time is Will Clark. I still have a shirt that says: "Bay Area Bombers" on it and it has WIll Clark, Kevin Mitchell, and Matt Williams
Old 11-02-2007, 02:13 AM   #5
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I grew up in the bay area so I am a Giants fan. My favorite player of All-time is Will Clark. I still have a shirt that says: "Bay Area Bombers" on it and it has WIll Clark, Kevin Mitchell, and Matt Williams
My 2 favorite AL teams....the As, who prevented a Giants championship in 89 and the Angels, who prevented one a few years back.

The only thing less bleak than the current Dodger outlook is the current Giants outlook.

If you are ever in SoCal, we should take in a Giants/Dodgers game together at the Ravine. We can sit in the left field pavilion and you can wear your Giants gear. It will be fun!

Old 11-02-2007, 02:25 AM   #6
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Where do you guys rank the Giants-Dodgers rivalry? Second only to the Yankees-Red Sox?

I know Cubs and White Sox fans hate each other pretty bad, but it doesn't really count as a rivalry because they rarely play each other. When they do it doesn't feel right. I can't really think of any other fierce rivalry's in the MLB.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:06 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the Dodgers/Giants rivalry is just behind the Sox/Yankees. Those are the two big ones.

I'm surprised that the Phillies/Pirates isn't a great rivalry.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:21 AM   #8
cougjunkie

Quote:
My 2 favorite AL teams....the As, who prevented a Giants championship in 89 and the Angels, who prevented one a few years back.

The only thing less bleak than the current Dodger outlook is the current Giants outlook.

If you are ever in SoCal, we should take in a Giants/Dodgers game together at the Ravine. We can sit in the left field pavilion and you can wear your Giants gear. It will be fun!
The Giants outlook is not great because Brian Sabean is still trying to add veterans to the 2002 team. Getting rid of Bonds will help them rebuild faster. The one positive is that they have the best young pitching staff in the game. Barry Zito, Noah Lowry, Matt Cain, Tim Lincecum, and Patrick Mitsch are all going to be solid pitchers. Add Johnathan Sanchez to the bullpen and they are very tough.

The Problem is they have Ray Durham hitting in the 3 hole, and Pedro Feliz in the 5 spot.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:33 AM   #9
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Torre is the most overrated manager in the MLB. He has had, by far, the most talented roster in the league every year this decade, yet every year he loses in the first round of the playoffs.

The Dodgers have talent, but they are not the Yankees. I do not expect to see any improvement in Los Angeles just because he is the one sitting in the clubhouse spitting sesame seeds.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:13 AM   #10
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Torre is the most overrated manager in the MLB. He has had, by far, the most talented roster in the league every year this decade, yet every year he loses in the first round of the playoffs.

The Dodgers have talent, but they are not the Yankees. I do not expect to see any improvement in Los Angeles just because he is the one sitting in the clubhouse spitting sesame seeds.
I think you mean sunflower seeds.

Although LA does have a large Asian population, so it could be sesame.

As Krusty once said, "Me so Solly!"