cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2008, 10:37 PM   #11
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I would love to see a Urijah Faber vs BJ Penn fight. Faber is unbelievable at 145. I dont think think BJ could drop down to 145, Faber would have to bulk up a little.
I think Faber's too quick for Penn and while Penn would have an advantage on the ground, I still think that Faber might be able to muscle him around. It'd be interesting for sure. If Penn could come down a bit to where Pulver is though and then Faber come up it could be a great fight. BJ has some heavy hands. Look at what Jens has done by dropping down. He killed Cub Swanson.

Faber though is probably the best pound for pound. He's like a mini GSP with a better chin.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:46 PM   #12
Taq Man

Taq Man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SipiTau View Post
Yeah...they're getting ready to kick AA to the curb; it's too bad, because he was such a terror.

I'm hoping Big Nog, Mir and Lesner can inject some interest in the heavyweight division; i think this is the weakest division in the UFC.
The UFC needs to let bygones be bygones and sign Josh Barnett. It would be good to get Mark Hunt in the fold as well. Fedor will never come. He likes Russia too much to be a bitch to the UFC. He will likely finish his career undefeated and untested in the end.

Werdum is rumored to be next in line for a title shot. Never mind the fact that Arlovski just beat him. AA is done in the UFC in my opinion. Dana doesn't like him and neither do most fans.

Penn beats Sherk and it won't be close.
Taq Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:09 PM   #13
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq Man View Post
The UFC needs to let bygones be bygones and sign Josh Barnett. It would be good to get Mark Hunt in the fold as well. Fedor will never come. He likes Russia too much to be a bitch to the UFC. He will likely finish his career undefeated and untested in the end.

Werdum is rumored to be next in line for a title shot. Never mind the fact that Arlovski just beat him. AA is done in the UFC in my opinion. Dana doesn't like him and neither do most fans.

Penn beats Sherk and it won't be close.
I liked AA. Mark Hunt would be a great addition. I love that guy. I like watching the replays of the old Pride fights on FSN. Mark Hunt blocks punches with his face and has probably the heaviest hands in the game.

Josh Barnett would be good too. Same thing with Nick Diaz. When did Nate fight last? I know he was vocal about his brother getting mistreated by UFC and called Dana out about them not even letting him in to see his fight.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:45 AM   #14
Taq Man

Default Did you see Swick tonight?

He looks sick cut down to 170. That dude needs to go back to 185 and get in the gym. He looked emaciated and had no power or fire at all.

I thought it should have been a draw.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:15 AM   #15
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
He looks sick cut down to 170. That dude needs to go back to 185 and get in the gym. He looked emaciated and had no power or fire at all.

I watched this only because I coached Josh Burkman when he played Babe Ruth in the Cottonwood area.

This was the first time I've watched UFC. I found it very boring. I won't be watching again.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:10 PM   #16
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I watched this only because I coached Josh Burkman when he played Babe Ruth in the Cottonwood area.

This was the first time I've watched UFC. I found it very boring. I won't be watching again.
Ilpad that was an awful card for you to watch for your first go round. Burkman and Swick was pretty boring, It looked like both of them were trying out for a new Kungfu movie with the crazy crap they were trying.

Also Surfah, Nate fought last night he looked really solid he has some sick JiuJiutsu. Nick was suspended for marijuana and the UFC didnt re-sign him, so he is fighting for the Elite XC or strike force one of those organizations he is locked in to a long term deal so we wont be seeing him for a while.

I think Dana needs to let bygones be bygones as well, another fighter that we need back is Matt Lindland.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:10 PM   #17
Taq Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post

Tonight was very boring. Don't judge the sport by one night. Many boxing matches are just as boring. Sometimes you get a good night of fights, sometimes they're all stinkers. Its all about styles and matchups.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #18
SipiTau

SipiTau is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I agree with you, add to that, Burkman looked like he was suffering from the same thing. What's going on with Burkman? He's look bad his last several fights. Is he on his way out?

Nate Diaz did really well; he seems to be less of a headcase, than his older brother.
SipiTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:22 PM   #19
Taq Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SipiTau View Post
I agree with you, add to that, Burkman looked like he was suffering from the same thing. What's going on with Burkman? He's look bad his last several fights. Is he on his way out?

Nate Diaz did really well; he seems to be less of a headcase, than his older brother.
No kidding. Nick was in Nate's corner last night and he had his scowl going. He really believes that he is Gods gift to fighting. I really want to see somebody beat him up and knock him out. I thought Gomi was the man for the job but we all saw how that turned out.

I think Frank Shamrock and Nick Diaz would be a fun fight, though they would have to meet somewhere in the middle weight wise.

I think Burkman is getting too careful. When he let his hands go last night he looked great. He just didn't do it enough.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:10 PM   #20
SipiTau

SipiTau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No kidding. Nick was in Nate's corner last night and he had his scowl going. He really believes that he is Gods gift to fighting. I really want to see somebody beat him up and knock him out. I thought Gomi was the man for the job but we all saw how that turned out.

I think Frank Shamrock and Nick Diaz would be a fun fight, though they would have to meet somewhere in the middle weight wise.

I think Burkman is getting too careful. When he let his hands go last night he looked great. He just didn't do it enough.
Nick Diaz didn't look too great in his last fight, then caused a scene afterwards; I don't think he'll be in the UFC in the near future. He needs to shut up and let his skills stand out. Have you seen a fighter more prone to cuts than Diaz? Guy needs to learn how to cover up.
SipiTau is offline   Reply With Quote