cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2008, 06:37 PM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
The owner has a product that he wishes to sell. If the consumer does not want to buy it at the net cost of a few bucks per person, then no problem. Move to a market where you can sell your product.

You are saying that the public should receive the benefit of having a team for absolutely nothing. And your rational is that the guy is really rich already and can afford to pay for it himself. So, in this instance, you are ok with taking from the wealthy to allow the less wealthy to benefit.

I am a proponent of the free market, so if the team moves every few years, I don't really care.
I'm all for moving a team to a market where people will buy tickets to see that team play. I just think the owner should pay for his own building, rather than use public funds to pay for even a portion of the cost.

I work from my home; however, my family is getting to the point that I need to have a bigger house. Maybe I can convince the city of Murray to fund the building of a larger home for my family, so I can continue to work from my home. If not, I may have to find another city in Salt Lake County to build me a larger house and I will take my business there.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:50 PM   #12
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I'm all for moving a team to a market where people will buy tickets to see that team play. I just think the owner should pay for his own building, rather than use public funds to pay for even a portion of the cost.

I work from my home; however, my family is getting to the point that I need to have a bigger house. Maybe I can convince the city of Murray to fund the building of a larger home for my family, so I can continue to work from my home. If not, I may have to find another city in Salt Lake County to build me a larger house and I will take my business there.
The only difference is that most would not care if you move your family. People seem to care that the Sonics are leaving. SU doesnt, but others do.

But you are correct. If you can convince the public to fund your house, why wouldn't you?

Besides, you are conveniently ignoring precendent. It is very common for the public to pay for sports arenas. I can see if this was a rarity, but it isnt. Which is why he is leaving. Like I said, those who love the free market should be thrilled.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:05 PM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
The only difference is that most would not care if you move your family. People seem to care that the Sonics are leaving. SU doesnt, but others do.

But you are correct. If you can convince the public to fund your house, why wouldn't you?

Besides, you are conveniently ignoring precendent. It is very common for the public to pay for sports arenas. I can see if this was a rarity, but it isnt. Which is why he is leaving. Like I said, those who love the free market should be thrilled.
I looked back at my original post in this thread and see what my mistake was. I failed to mention that I have no problem with the Sonics moving.

I know that public funds are used to build arenas. That is how Sandy yanked RSL away from Salt Lake. I'm just of the belief that the owner of a business should pay for the facilities in which to house and run that business.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:31 PM   #14
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I'm with DDD here. I think it's silly to suggest that an owner of a company should pay for all of the facilities in which they house their business. The fact of the matter is that taxpayers subsidize all types of businesses. Schools, hospitals, etc. I think a truer statement would be that taxes should not be used to fund something purely for entertainment value like a sports team.

I think it's unfortunate that Seattlites feel as they do. It will be regrettable, much like the Los Angelinos feel about losing a football franchise.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:43 PM   #15
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I think a truer statement would be that taxes should not be used to fund something purely for entertainment value like a sports team.
This is what I wanted to say, but failed miserably trying to say it.

Thank you for having the ability to do what I couldn't. I suck.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:48 PM   #16
TripletDaddy

Quote:
This is what I wanted to say, but failed miserably trying to say it.

Thank you for having the ability to do what I couldn't. I suck.
Now that we have all that out of the way, I think it is a mistake for the Sonics to leave Seattle. They will regret it.....by "they," I mean the team and the city.

Ask the Charlotte Hornets, New Orleans Hornets, Memphis Grizzlies, Orlando Magic, and Miami Heat how they do in terms of attendance.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 02-29-2008, 08:06 PM   #17
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Now that we have all that out of the way, I think it is a mistake for the Sonics to leave Seattle. They will regret it.....by "they," I mean the team and the city.

Ask the Charlotte Hornets, New Orleans Hornets, Memphis Grizzlies, Orlando Magic, and Miami Heat how they do in terms of attendance.
On this we can agree. It did work well for the Jazz, though that is more of the exception when it comes to pro franchises moving.

But weren't the Charlotte Hornets an expansion team rather than a relocated team, as well as the Magic and Heat?

Old 02-29-2008, 08:20 PM   #18
TripletDaddy

Quote:
On this we can agree. It did work well for the Jazz, though that is more of the exception when it comes to pro franchises moving.

But weren't the Charlotte Hornets an expansion team rather than a relocated team, as well as the Magic and Heat?
Yes, but the point being that those markets don't sustain NBA franchises well. One of the key reasons Utah seems to work, imo, is the dearth of professional sports alternatives.

Most of those other areas/state have NFL, MLB, and or NHL, as well.

Ironically, going back to the other point of discussion, if I remember correctly, LHM paid for about $20MM of the Delta Center land with public funds. No wonder that guy has so much cash!

Old 02-29-2008, 08:30 PM   #19
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Yes, but the point being that those markets don't sustain NBA franchises well. One of the key reasons Utah seems to work, imo, is the dearth of professional sports alternatives.

Most of those other areas/state have NFL, MLB, and or NHL, as well.

Ironically, going back to the other point of discussion, if I remember correctly, LHM paid for about $20MM of the Delta Center land with public funds. No wonder that guy has so much cash!
I was always under the impression that LHM got a tax break to not move the arena out to the 'burbs and got a loan from a Japanese bank to pay for the Delta Center.

But I could be wrong.

And yes, the Jazz have benefited from being the only major pro sports franchise in town...a lot like the Packers.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:01 PM   #20
TripletDaddy

Quote:
I was always under the impression that LHM got a tax break to not move the arena out to the 'burbs and got a loan from a Japanese bank to pay for the Delta Center.

But I could be wrong.

And yes, the Jazz have benefited from being the only major pro sports franchise in town...a lot like the Packers.
I think you are correct about the building, but not the land. Can anyone else weigh in on this one?

Yes, Packers are another good example. I guess the Bucks and Brewers play in the city, but which is the tougher ticket to get of the 3? It isn't even close.