cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2008, 05:23 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
Sheesh Mike, Rafer is a decent enough point guard, but I can think of about 20 other point guards I would take above him. He makes Jason Kidd look like a freakin' sharp shooter. He is an average passer at best as well. I will check his numbers in a little while, but I would be shocked if he shoots better than 40% from the field and I know that he has never gotten close to sniffing 10 assists a game...probably never even close to 8 assists a game.
Wow, I take it you have not watched the Rockets much. Rafer is 100x better shooter and scorer than Kidd. That's his strength as a PG.

Junkie will back me up on this.

Also, Nash as the top pick is bad, bad, bad. He might be the worst defender on Junkie's entire list. And guess what, defense is where you spend half your time as a player.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #12
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Wow, I take it you have not watched the Rockets much. Rafer is 100x better shooter and scorer than Kidd. That's his strength as a PG.

Junkie will back me up on this.

Also, Nash as the top pick is bad, bad, bad. He might be the worst defender on Junkie's entire list. And guess what, defense is where you spend half your time as a player.
I like Alston a lot and I think he has become one of the premier point guards in the NBA this year. Nash is as good as it gets offensively but he is a major liability on the defensive end, Paul averages almost 3 steals a game, shoots a better percentage and has more assists than Nash does.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:34 PM   #13
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

1. Chris Paul/Deron William in a tie.

Paul has the best record right now in the West. Deron has an overwhelming better head to head record and overall team success thus far and has also proven to be more durable.

2. Steve Nash. On the decline now, but still one of the best.

3. Tony Parker. Almost as bad of a flopper as Ginobili, but his impact and presence is undeniable.

4. Chauncey Billups. One of the more underated PG's of the last 8 years. Doesn't nearly get the love he deserves and has earned.

5. Allen Iverson. Will go down as one of the toughest little big men in league history. If Chris Paul had his durability & toughness I'd rank him ahead of D-Will.

6. Andre Miller. There's just no denying the impact he's had on the Sixers this year. The guy has been consistently good every team he's played on and is often overlooked and over passed because of flashy guys.

I don't include Gilbert Arenas..he's not a point guard.

Jason Kidd has fallen significantly in the past year.

Baron Davis is more concerned with style over substance, even in light of his sick athleticism....still durability issues put him down the list as well.

Devin Harris is a major up and comer and the Mavericks will rue the day they gave him up for a washed up Jason Kidd who never could shoot worth a darn anyway.

Mike Bibby has had a resurgence in Atlanta and is the reason why the Hawks might make the playoffs. Course in the crappy Eastern Conference if you don't make the playoffs then you're just brutal.

Rafer Alston has been fantastic for Houston since early January.

Kirk Heinrich...definetly in the Top ten and I think is underated, however there's no questioning that he's really had a down year this season.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:34 PM   #14
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Wow Iverson doesn't even crack your top 8. But like a good Ute fan you have Miller up there.
I really like Iverson, but he is really not a point guard and that is why he is not on the list...you could make the same case for Arenas, but Arenas is a better player now than Iverson. Miller has been absolutely terrific this year. Years past, probably would not have been on the list, but this year, absolutely.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:42 PM   #15
UteStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I like Alston a lot and I think he has become one of the premier point guards in the NBA this year. Nash is as good as it gets offensively but he is a major liability on the defensive end, Paul averages almost 3 steals a game, shoots a better percentage and has more assists than Nash does.
Boy, I have watched Rafer in quite a few games this year (NBA league pass lets me watch probably way too much tv), but there is no way that he is better than a bunch of those guys on the list. Rafer has played pretty well since the start of the year, but he is under 40% from the field. That is absolutely brutal.

Telling stats of Rafer:
39.7% from the field (38.7% career shooter)
5.4 assists per game (there is no reason he should not be averaging more here)
2.1 turnovers per game (assist to turnover ratio is pretty low)

Rafer is active on defense...and yes, there are at least 10 other point guards in the league that I would take over Rafer without hesistation.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:44 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Rafer has gone from a name no one had heard of, or at least a name that no one considered anything more than a journeyman, to being on the cusp of being a household name and star.

He has to go on the list, if only on the basis of momentum.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:48 PM   #17
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

A few things:

1. Alston during the 22 game win streak averaged 16 and 8 assists while shooting 47% from the floor.

2. I dont think Deron has Owned Paul as bad as most like to believe. Here are the numbers:

Rookie Season
Deron won 3 games to 1, the numbers: D-will 17 points 3 assists, Paul 15.8 points 7.3 assists.

2nd season
Paul missed one game against Utah, so they went 1-1 head to head. Deron 15.5 points and 11.5 assists, Paul 13.0 points 12.0 assists.

this season
Utah is up 2-1, Deron 21 points 9 assists, Paul 15 points 10 assists.

They have both put up good numbers against each other.

Also overall season numbers:

Paul: 21.5 points 11.5 assists,4.0 rebounds, 2.7 steals, shooting 49.1% from the floor in 37.7 minutes per game and his team has the best record in the West.

Williams: 19.2 points, 10.5 assists, 3.3 rebounds, 1.1 steals, shooting 51% from the floor in 37.6 minutes per game and his team has the 5th best record in the West.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:49 PM   #18
UteStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Rafer has gone from a name no one had heard of, or at least a name that no one considered anything more than a journeyman, to being on the cusp of being a household name and star.

He has to go on the list, if only on the basis of momentum.
Nobody had ever heard of him? C'mon Mike...anyone that has followed the NBA even loosely over the past 5 years knows who Rafer is. Skip to my Lou was well known at the beginning of his career, it tailed off because he was just above average as a player and not as a performer. He is getting more attention now because of the Rockets run (which he definitely helped). He is nowhere near being an elite point guard in the league.

If he is on the cusp of being a star, then there are about 200 Gods playing in the NBA.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:52 PM   #19
UteStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
A few things:

1. Alston during the 22 game win streak averaged 16 and 8 assists while shooting 47% from the floor.

2. I dont think Deron has Owned Paul as bad as most like to believe. Here are the numbers:

Rookie Season
Deron won 3 games to 1, the numbers: D-will 17 points 3 assists, Paul 15.8 points 7.3 assists.

2nd season
Paul missed one game against Utah, so they went 1-1 head to head. Deron 15.5 points and 11.5 assists, Paul 13.0 points 12.0 assists.

this season
Utah is up 2-1, Deron 21 points 9 assists, Paul 15 points 10 assists.

They have both put up good numbers against each other.

Also overall season numbers:

Paul: 21.5 points 11.5 assists,4.0 rebounds, 2.7 steals, shooting 49.1% from the floor in 37.7 minutes per game and his team has the best record in the West.

Williams: 19.2 points, 10.5 assists, 3.3 rebounds, 1.1 steals, shooting 51% from the floor in 37.6 minutes per game and his team has the 5th best record in the West.
Thats fair Junkie...Paul is putting up better numbers than Deron...but Deron has outplayed Paul in every game against the other except for two times and Paul's shooting has typically been atrocious against Deron. He truly has outplayed him, often quite significantly. Now, that doesn't mean Deron is the better player, it just means that matchup favors him.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:58 PM   #20
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
Nobody had ever heard of him? C'mon Mike...anyone that has followed the NBA even loosely over the past 5 years knows who Rafer is. Skip to my Lou was well known at the beginning of his career, it tailed off because he was just above average as a player and not as a performer. He is getting more attention now because of the Rockets run (which he definitely helped). He is nowhere near being an elite point guard in the league.

If he is on the cusp of being a star, then there are about 200 Gods playing in the NBA.
Agreed. Alston has been good this year. But I don't think he's one of the league's elite.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote