cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: NBA Western Conf. team you hate the most
LA Lakers 15 48.39%
NO Hornets 0 0%
SA Spurs 8 25.81%
Houston Rockets 0 0%
PHX Suns 1 3.23%
Utah Jazz 5 16.13%
Dallas Mavs 0 0%
Denver Nuggets 0 0%
GS Warriors 2 6.45%
Portland Trail Blazers 0 0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2008, 06:48 PM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
My father indoctrinated me on all that is good and purple and gold. Growing up in Hawaii they showed Lakers games so he grew up a fan. He raised me to love the Lakers. When we moved to the mainland I grew to love KCAL-9 and Fox Sports West. I'd listen to the Laker pre-game to hear Chick and Stu. I've cried when the Lakers have lost. I remember watching the press conference where Magic announced he had HIV in school and crying. And I wasn't the only one. I remember Frank the Custodian was sobbing.

I hate the Jazz. I was cheering Kobe for MVP last month at Energy Solutions Arena.
So, I'll assume that it was you and NorCal that voted the Jazz as most hated. You're not in good company there, my friend.

Another reason to hate the Lakers is also tied to Magic announcing he had the HIV virus. His announcement came the same day that Stern was telling the world that the All-Star game would be in Salt Lake City and the media ignored SLC once again. LA stealing the thunder again. WE WANT EXCLUSIVITY, DAMMIT!

I bet exie believes Magic contracted HIV on purpose just to remind everyone hates Utah. WE WANT TO BE INCLUDED, DAMMIT!

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:00 AM   #12
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
So, I'll assume that it was you and NorCal that voted the Jazz as most hated. You're not in good company there, my friend.

Another reason to hate the Lakers is also tied to Magic announcing he had the HIV virus. His announcement came the same day that Stern was telling the world that the All-Star game would be in Salt Lake City and the media ignored SLC once again. LA stealing the thunder again. WE WANT EXCLUSIVITY, DAMMIT!

I bet exie believes Magic contracted HIV on purpose just to remind everyone hates Utah. WE WANT TO BE INCLUDED, DAMMIT!
I do hate the Jazz. I think they're a good team though and that the second round should be fun.

I just have never seen a team with so much pride that hasn't won anything. I also don't care much for Sloan. I think he's a good coach but I also think he's a big reason they have never won it all. How you have arguably two of the greatest players ever at their position on the same team and not be more successful than they were is beyond me. Sure everyone points to Jordan but still.

I also am not a big Karl Malone fan. Mostly related to his comments about Magic and playing with him after the HIV announcement. I was pissed when the Lakers signed him. I also hate Stockton. He was bit dirty if you ask me. I still don't get how he got away with the picks he set.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:06 PM   #13
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I just have never seen a team with so much pride that hasn't won anything. I also don't care much for Sloan. I think he's a good coach but I also think he's a big reason they have never won it all. How you have arguably two of the greatest players ever at their position on the same team and not be more successful than they were is beyond me. Sure everyone points to Jordan but still.
Show me some logic here. I am just not seeing it.

Quote:
I also am not a big Karl Malone fan. Mostly related to his comments about Magic and playing with him after the HIV announcement. I was pissed when the Lakers signed him. I also hate Stockton. He was bit dirty if you ask me. I still don't get how he got away with the picks he set.
So a skinny short white guy sets hard picks on guys twice his size in the middle of the paint and you whine about that? You like pretty-boy basketball? Typical Lakers fan.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:46 PM   #14
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Did you really expect anything other than a Lakers blowout win in this? This board is probably 75% Jazz fans, and ANYONE who knows Jazz fans know they have an intense hatred of all things Lakers.

For myself, I'm a Lakers fan. I always dismissed the Jazz as being irrelevant, and the attitude of many Jazz fans irritated me. The topper was easily the nicknames spewed forth from Hot Rod during Jazz broadcasts, which irritated me to no end. So I would, in years past, have listed the Jazz as my most-hated team.

Prior to last season, I attended a Pre-season Jazz game. I watched AK, prior to the game, being exceptionally good-natured, friendly, and simply having fun. I decided to start following the Jazz as a second team, and despite AK's downturn that year, I now claim Utah as my home-town team, #2 on my list of favored NBA teams.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:53 PM   #15
Surfah
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Show me some logic here. I am just not seeing it.

So a skinny short white guy sets hard picks on guys twice his size in the middle of the paint and you whine about that? You like pretty-boy basketball? Typical Lakers fan.

When you have arguably the greatest power forward to ever play basketball and the probably the greatest point guard not named Magic together for 10 years with a decent supporting cast and all you can manage is two western conference championships? I place that blame squarely on Jerry Sloan. Sure his coaching style and strategy will get you consistent success during the season. But his inability or refusal to make adjustments and substitution changes I believe have kept the Jazz from being an elite NBA team. And by elite, I mean having more than two WCC banners hanging in your arena.

As far as Stock goes, setting a hard pick is one thing but running through a player with your shoulder and elbow is another. He set so many illegal screens in his career its ridiculous. Malone was dirty too. Two of the dirtiest players ever. I hold both responsible for some of the brutal guys I have played basketball with here in Utah.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:55 PM   #16
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Did you really expect anything other than a Lakers blowout win in this? This board is probably 75% Jazz fans, and ANYONE who knows Jazz fans know they have an intense hatred of all things Lakers.

For myself, I'm a Lakers fan. I always dismissed the Jazz as being irrelevant, and the attitude of many Jazz fans irritated me. The topper was easily the nicknames spewed forth from Hot Rod during Jazz broadcasts, which irritated me to no end. So I would, in years past, have listed the Jazz as my most-hated team.

Prior to last season, I attended a Pre-season Jazz game. I watched AK, prior to the game, being exceptionally good-natured, friendly, and simply having fun. I decided to start following the Jazz as a second team, and despite AK's downturn that year, I now claim Utah as my home-town team, #2 on my list of favored NBA teams.
I have never really hated the Jazz. Simply because there is no reason to hate them. They have nothing the Lakers want, nothing the Lakers need, and in the overall landscape of NBA history, have no significant relavance.

Hating the Jazz would make as much sense as hating the Milwaukee Bucks, or the Sonics, or the Heat.

Except those teams have won a championship.

So I guess hating the Jazz is more like hating the Clippers? Or maybe the Timberwolves?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:00 PM   #17
Surfah
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post

To be honest I probably dislike the Kings more than the Jazz but they weren't an option as they sucked this year. Hot Rod drives me nuts. I appreciate the vigor of Jazz fans. They really are good fans. But they are obnoxious.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:01 PM   #18
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
And by elite, I mean having more than two WCC banners hanging in your arena.
Hanging a division or conference championship banner? What is that? Please explain that very foreign concept to me.

I think at one time the Jazz hung up 2 separate banners that denoted Karl Malone's MVPs. Not sure if those are still up in the ratfters.

Maybe they should hang up one banner for every John Stockton assist?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:05 PM   #19
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I have never really hated the Jazz. Simply because there is no reason to hate them. They have nothing the Lakers want, nothing the Lakers need, and in the overall landscape of NBA history, have no significant relavance.

Hating the Jazz would make as much sense as hating the Milwaukee Bucks, or the Sonics, or the Heat.

Except those teams have won a championship.

So I guess hating the Jazz is more like hating the Clippers? Or maybe the Timberwolves?
Like I said, I dismissed the Jazz prior to living in Utah. It took several years of listening to the obnoxiousness of certain Jazz fans (not all are so annoying) to really develop a hate for them.

And, like I said, I was cured of that hate, and now consider them my second team.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:06 PM   #20
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
When you have arguably the greatest power forward to ever play basketball and the probably the greatest point guard not named Magic together for 10 years with a decent supporting cast and all you can manage is two western conference championships? I place that blame squarely on Jerry Sloan. Sure his coaching style and strategy will get you consistent success during the season. But his inability or refusal to make adjustments and substitution changes I believe have kept the Jazz from being an elite NBA team. And by elite, I mean having more than two WCC banners hanging in your arena.
That's all speculation. One can make an equally convincing argument that the Jazz over-achieved during that same period. And you can't discount the effect of randomness in sports. Those two championship series were very close and could easily have gone the other way. As I think back on the pivotal plays, I just don't see Sloan being the weak link in the equation.

Quote:
As far as Stock goes, setting a hard pick is one thing but running through a player with your shoulder and elbow is another. He set so many illegal screens in his career its ridiculous. Malone was dirty too. Two of the dirtiest players ever. I hold both responsible for some of the brutal guys I have played basketball with here in Utah.
Meh.