cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2008, 05:51 PM   #21
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

NBA - Lifelong Jazz fan

NFL - Jets fan. Went to the mall when I was a kid and went to a poster shop. The owner of the poster shop gave me a free Ken O'brien poster. His 1985 Pro Bowl year. Boomer Esiason once smacked me on the butt when he was playing for the Jets in '93. When Boomer was with the Bengals, I always loved watching him play and because of him, I am now ambidextrious. I throw football with either hand. I throw baseball right and bat left. I shoot hoops left handed.

MLB - Never really had a team. Tried to get into the Padres, but couldn't do it. I do love MLB and follow it though.
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:54 PM   #22
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecoug View Post
MLB - Never really had a team. Tried to get into the Padres, but couldn't do it. I do love MLB and follow it though.
Listen to the golden pipes of Vin Skully for more than an hour and you can't help but be a dodger fan.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:00 PM   #23
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
Listen to the golden pipes of Vin Skully for more than an hour and you can't help but be a dodger fan.
The man is a national treasure. I usually hate it when I watch Giants games on the internet and they give us the other team's TV feed, but when they play the Dodgers and we get Vin Scully, I don't mind a bit.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:20 PM   #24
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Or a fan of "Dodgers Dogs, from FAAAARMER JOHN..."

It's time for DOOOOOOOOODGER BASEBALL!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:23 PM   #25
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

As I kid I was a huge Raiders fan. I watched every game, knew all the players, read Bo Jackson's and Kenny Stabler's biographies and talked my parents into taking me to a Raiders game one year for my birthday. My fervor for the Raiders and professional football has long ago died, but I guess if I'm going to cheer for any NFL team it would still be them.

I've been to one A's game. As I kid I heard my brothers talk about the Oakland A's and my parents talk about the Oakland temple. For a long time, I thought the A's were the Mormon team.

I've been to a couple of Jazz games and a couple of Grizzlies games. I always supported the home team.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:32 PM   #26
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Or a fan of "Dodgers Dogs, from FAAAARMER JOHN..."

It's time for DOOOOOOOOODGER BASEBALL!
Damn you! Now I want a Dodger dog with onions and mustard. Objectively dodger dogs are really not even that good but there is just something about eating one at Dodger stadium that makes 'em super delicious.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:06 PM   #27
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

MLB - Baltimore Orioles. Have been since '72. Thank goodness for the MLB package or I'd never get to see them play. It's well known that I am a baseball junkie, so I'll watch pretty much any game, any level. It's baseball.

NBA - lost all interest when Stockton retired. At best, I call myself a disinterested, passive Jazz fan. If I happen across a Jazz game on tv and there is absolutely nothing else to watch, I may consider watching the game - though I do have to say that I enjoyed attending the Jazz/Clippers game a bit ago with Lebowski. I think it was more the company than the game though.

NFL - lost interest when Elway retired. I'd much rather watch college football.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:07 PM   #28
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Damn you! Now I want a Dodger dog with onions and mustard. Objectively dodger dogs are really not even that good but there is just something about eating one at Dodger stadium that makes 'em super delicious.
"A hot dog at the ball park is better than a steak at the Ritz" - Humphrey Bogart.

There is a lot of truth to this statement.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #29
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Always been a fan of the teams I inherited from my father:

Lakers, 49ers, Braves.

Interestingly, I inherited the 9ers from my father, but my older brother (by 14 years) inherited the Cowboys, so I strongly suspected (and recently confirmed) that my dad mostly followed players rather than teams....Thus, my brother inherited the cowboys (Danny White) while I inherited the 49ers (Steve Young).

I will say I quite enjoy watching the 49ers lose nowadays, probably due to Alex Smith, so I can't say I'm all that strong a fan.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:13 PM   #30
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
1) NBA - started with the Houston Rockets (only team on TV). Also, when it came to Celtics vs. Lakers, I hated the Celtics, and like the Lakers. Much later after a few years in Utah, started liking the Jazz. Mavs for a while, rivaled my interest in Jazz, but that has dimmed. I'm not too invested.

2) MLB - I was a big fan of the Braves (again, only team regularly on TV except for the Cubs). I liked Dale Murphy. Once Murphy retired, and I was busy with college, stopped caring. Second place would be the Astros. Now I don't really care about any team. Maybe I care a little about the Rangers, but the owner is terrible and the team is terrible.

3) NFL - it's always been the Cowboys. But when Steve Young was doing well with the niners, I liked them as well. Again, for me, Cowboys only team regularly on TV.

But in the end, I don't get rabid support for a pro team. I've been to one NBA game, a handful of MLB games, and no NFL games.
I'm not a big pro sports fan either. BYU is the only team I live and and die with. For pro teams for me it goes:

NBA: Jazz. I grew up with them and still follow them in the playoffs somewhat but my interest has dropped quite a bit. I don't follow the rest of the NBA much at all, but I have been known to go to Mavericks games now and then. But I'm not a Mavs fan.

MLB: Never really had a team growing up. I've become a fan of the Rangers since moving to DFW in the late 90s. The Rangers were kind of good back then and I've mostly stuck with them but I don't watch every game or anything like that. It's hard to with the way their owner has totally destroyed them.

NFL: Never been much of a fan. I've been known to follow former BYU players from time to time.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote