cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2008, 08:13 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Derek Fisher's lies

Why did Fish need to be in LA, in order to have his child treated in New York?

Wouldn't Fish need to be in NEW YORK??????
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

This is why I always respected Derek Harper for his "You go live in Utah" comment. He at least had the guts to admit why he didn't want to play for the Jazz.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:25 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

For all our ripping on Boozer, only recently was his daughter well enough to live in Utah.

So we have to give him credit for being willing to live in Utah, despite his family not being able to live in Utah for medical reasons.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:28 PM   #4
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:

His daugher is not getting treatment every day, 24/7.

The move was to be near the family of Fish's wife, Candance. At least that way, they have some local support system. Fish's family lives in the South (Arkansas, I think).

Also, all their friends and roots were back in LA.

If my family was going trough a long-term medical trauma, I would want to be near family, too. This thing isn over, by any stretch. The kid can still lose her eye.

moving to NYC would only benefit them in the sense that they would be closer to the doc's office, but the treatment is sporadic, from what i had heard.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:29 PM   #5
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
For all our ripping on Boozer, only recently was his daughter well enough to live in Utah.

So we have to give him credit for being willing to live in Utah, despite his family not being able to live in Utah for medical reasons.
Did Boozer really have any choice, though? After the PR nightmare when he left Cleveland, he couldn't really afford to bail on another team.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
TripletDaddy

Quote:

Robert Horry is this way, too. His family has lived in Houston since his days with the Rockets so that his daughter can get her treatment. He lived solo when he played with the Lakers or commuted back to Houston.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 05-08-2008, 08:31 PM   #7
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
This is why I always respected Derek Harper for his "You go live in Utah" comment. He at least had the guts to admit why he didn't want to play for the Jazz.
The difference is that Harper never even came.

Fisher voluntarily signed a contract and played an entire season. It isnt the same situation at all.

if you were working in Idaho and your kid needed some insane medical treatment for the next several years, you would likely consider going back to Utah to be near family and friends to help you emotionally.

People are forgetting his wife in all of this. Why would she care about staying in Utah? She wants to get back to her mom for support.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:37 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I wasn't aware of the wife's family angle.

Still, Utah should have gotten something out of a TRADE, not a release.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:38 PM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
The difference is that Harper never even came.

Fisher voluntarily signed a contract and played an entire season. It isnt the same situation at all.

if you were working in Idaho and your kid needed some insane medical treatment for the next several years, you would likely consider going back to Utah to be near family and friends to help you emotionally.

People are forgetting his wife in all of this. Why would she care about staying in Utah? She wants to get back to her mom for support.
I'm just saying that Harper at least gave his reason for not wanting to be in Utah. Had Fisher come out and said that they were going to LA to be near his wife's family for support, there would be very little complaining from Jazz fans.

Personally, I would prefer that more people would leave SLC. I liked it a lot better before it started to grow.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:45 PM   #10
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I'm just saying that Harper at least gave his reason for not wanting to be in Utah. Had Fisher come out and said that they were going to LA to be near his wife's family for support, there would be very little complaining from Jazz fans.

Personally, I would prefer that more people would leave SLC. I liked it a lot better before it started to grow.
This I agree with. Not sure why Fish didnt lay it out there for the fans of the team.

Maybe he wanted to keep it private, but fans deserve to know what is going on. When he showed up for the playoff game and was cheered by the fans, it showed that the fans at least respected him.

He likely should have shown the same respect back and done a few interviews to clarify.