cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2008, 02:43 PM   #21
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Greg Poppovich & Brent Barry both said it wasn't a foul. Pop used the language "If I were the ref, I wouldn't have called the foul."

If they're not complaining, I don't see any reason for anyone else to complain.

And this is completely ignoring the fact that the Lakers were Homered in that game for the first 47.9 minutes.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:20 PM   #22
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Another reason to hate the NBA (I don't hate it but I can understand why some people would) -- you have to think that if it was Kobe in that situation instead of Brent Barry then Kobe gets the free throws.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:27 PM   #23
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Another reason to hate the NBA (I don't hate it but I can understand why some people would) -- you have to think that if it was Kobe in that situation instead of Brent Barry then Kobe gets the free throws.
Kobe didn't shoot a single free-throw the entire game, and was certainly the recipient of more than a few slapped wrists & hand-checks throughout that game. I have a hard time buying into this argument.

The NBA Conspiracy theorists tend to make me laugh...

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:47 PM   #24
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

I just watched the super slo-mo replay for the first time since the game.

Given all the hand-wringing, I was pretty shocked by what I saw, because it was a little different than what I've been hearing.

Here's what I saw: Barry got the ball and made a head fake. Fisher started to jump, but almost caught himself, resulting in more of a hop. Barry travels and then tries to dribble through the airborne Fisher. It looked more like an attempted tackle by Barry than Fisher coming down on Barry's shoulder and back.

Barry initiated the contact (after traveling) - good no call.

Here's the clip I watched: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQKhBnv8Mt4

When is the NBA going to review Fisher's phantom air ball and issue an apology to the Lakers for failing to re-set the clock?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug

Last edited by SoCalCoug; 05-29-2008 at 03:51 PM.
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:00 PM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Just looked at it, not a travel.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:02 PM   #26
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post

Given all the hand-wringing, I was pretty shocked by what I saw, because it was a little different than what I've been hearing.

Here's what I saw: Barry got the ball and made a head fake. Fisher started to jump, but almost caught himself, resulting in more of a hop. Barry travels and then tries to dribble through the airborne Fisher. It looked more like an attempted tackle by Barry than Fisher coming down on Barry's shoulder and back.

When is the NBA going to review Fisher's phantom air ball and issue an apology to the Lakers for failing to re-set the clock?
You obviously watched it through your Laker goggles.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:02 PM   #27
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Kobe didn't shoot a single free-throw the entire game, and was certainly the recipient of more than a few slapped wrists & hand-checks throughout that game. I have a hard time buying into this argument.

The NBA Conspiracy theorists tend to make me laugh...
I'm talking about star treatment, and it drives me nuts in the NBA.
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:02 PM   #28
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I noticed the NBA only commented on the Fisher no-call, but did not make any reference to the shot clock issue that preceded it.

The Spurs do not deserve the call on Fisher because it would be fruit of the poisonous tree.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:03 PM   #29
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
I'm talking about star treatment, and it drives me nuts in the NBA.
Kobe has received a lot of star treatment this series.

How many free throws has he shot?.....

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:06 PM   #30
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post

Wow...not sure where you got that conclusion.

"Attempted tackle by Barry"? What in the world...?

Bad no-call. He AT LEAST gets two shots. For those saying you don't make that call at the end of the game, you also don't leave your feet on defense at the end of the game. Very boneheaded move by Fisher, and he should have paid for it.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote