cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2008, 02:53 AM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Wow- Supersonics leaving Seattle.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3471503

Done deal.

I hate this kind of stuff. It doesn't seem right that fans of a team can wake up one morning and have their team be packed up and gone.

Sorry, Seattle. I can't imagine OKC is a better place to play than Seattle.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:05 AM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue is the nation's 15th largest metro area with 3.3 million people, while greater Oklahoma City ranks 44th with 1.2 million people.

What gives?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:08 AM   #3
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder if the promise of a brand new arena has something to do with it.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:13 AM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

They've been gone for a long time. This was just about the buyout of the last two years on the lease. They weren't going to stay regardless of the outcome of the trial. We didn't want the Oklahoma Prarie Scooners here. We just wanted their money and to keep the logo, etc. Had the judge specifically enforced the settlement, there would still have been a settlement like this. It was a show trial.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:25 AM   #5
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
It doesn't seem right that fans of a team can wake up one morning and have their team be packed up and gone.
As I understand it, the team didn't have any fans left. My bro-in-law lives out there, and he and Seattle have both repeated their utter disdain for the team.

Honestly, I don't think they'll find much success in Oklahoma past the first season, but they do have the advantage here of being the only show in town.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:26 AM   #6
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue is the nation's 15th largest metro area with 3.3 million people, while greater Oklahoma City ranks 44th with 1.2 million people.

What gives?
Attendance was getting pretty poor in Seattle, and Oklahoma provided pretty good attendance when the Hornets were here for two years while they rebuilt from Katrina. I think it's just a money thing.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:30 AM   #7
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
They've been gone for a long time. This was just about the buyout of the last two years on the lease. They weren't going to stay regardless of the outcome of the trial. We didn't want the Oklahoma Prarie Scooners here. We just wanted their money and to keep the logo, etc. Had the judge specifically enforced the settlement, there would still have been a settlement like this. It was a show trial.
What soured the fan base on the Sonics? The losing, the arena fight, or both? When I was there in the early to mid 90's, the Sonics were huge.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:42 AM   #8
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
What soured the fan base on the Sonics? The losing, the arena fight, or both? When I was there in the early to mid 90's, the Sonics were huge.
Probably the losing, and that piece of shit owner from Oklahoma and David Stern. I think getting shaken down for huge sums to build football and baseball stadiums hurt too. Also, George Karl had a way of sucking all the fun out of it even when they were winning.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:51 AM   #9
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Probably the losing, and that piece of shit owner from Oklahoma and David Stern. I think getting shaken down for huge sums to build football and baseball stadiums hurt too. Also, George Karl had a way of sucking all the fun out of it even when they were winning.
That's too bad. I remember some great Jazz/Sonics battles back in the day.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:19 PM   #10
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't get the Oklahoma City move either. There are plenty of other cities that could support an NBA team...but why the push for Oklahoma City?
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote