cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2008, 08:55 PM   #21
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
speaking of phelps, what the hell is in the water in Beijing? I have never seen so many records broken. They are breaking the record in every event, multiple times in prelims.

They should test the water.
Most are saying it is the new suits they have. They are completely lazer seamed so that no stitches are used at all.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:56 PM   #22
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Swimmers are doping.

OR

all the swimmers this year as super amazing athletes that dedicate themselves and train hard, thus breaking world records every single day of these Olympics.
It is just crazy to see a world record fall, and half the field finished under the old record time. Just saying.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:00 PM   #23
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Most are saying it is the new suits they have. They are completely lazer seamed so that no stitches are used at all.
Is this the first week these suits are being used around the planet?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:00 PM   #24
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
It is just crazy to see a world record fall, and half the field finished under the old record time. Just saying.
My poorly veiled answer: dopers.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 08-13-2008, 09:19 PM   #25
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
My poorly veiled answer: dopers.
Phelps has asked that they run extra tests on his blood. Tests that are not required by the Olympic committee.

Last edited by Flystripper; 08-13-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:19 PM   #26
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
However, I have been glued to the Olympics since I was a kid in 84.....Los Angeles Summer Games. I caught the bug and never looked back.

Me too. I have so many great memories from the '84 games and that was where I really got hooked on watching swimming. There was no year round swim team where I grew up so I never got to swim competitively but I put my son in as soon as I could afford it and I've never regretted it. I love the Olympics because swimming gets so much love.

I also love the Track and Field events, volleyball, bball and even gymnastics. The Summer Olympics are a little slice of sports heaven every 4 years.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:23 PM   #27
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
Phelps as asked that they run extra tests on his blood. Tests that are not required by the Olympic committee.
I get USA swimming's magazine every month. Twice each year they list the top 16 times swum in every age group in every event. At the top of that list is the fastest time ever swum for that age in every event. You see Michael Phelps's name in that slot in a ridiculous number of events from about age 13 up. He has dominated the sport since he was 12 years old. He was an Olympian and actually made the finals in the 200 fly at age 15. In the sport of men's swimming that's insane. If he's doping he's been doping his whole life. I just think he's one of those freaks that comes along once in a lifetime who has everything that's needed to dominate.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:25 PM   #28
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
Phelps as asked that they run extra tests on his blood. Tests that are not required by the Olympic committee.
Dara Torres did this, too.

There is a clever strategy involved here....

Dopers often use substances like the cream and the clear....illegal, but unknown, so not technically on a list of banned substances.

By volunteering for blood testing a few months ago, Dara was being shrewd.

If nothing comes up on the test, she can continue to use the designer dope without much fear.

If the test turns up the foreign substance, she can deny knowing how it got there and then simply get clean before the games. She won't be disciplined because the designer dope is not on the list of banned substances. Also, I believe I read that voluntary testing is not actionable.

It would be interesting to note whether Phelps asked for these tests this week or last month. I have no clue.

I hope he isnt a doper. After all, Spitz also broke 7 WRs in one week, and that was 27 years ago, when designer dope was likely tough to come by...so being clean is definitely possible.

But too many of them are smashing records this week.....no way they are all clean.

Wasnt there a Spanish cyclist who was busted this past week for doping in the Olympics?

Old 08-13-2008, 09:27 PM   #29
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Me too. I have so many great memories from the '84 games...
Living in Southern California at the time at age 11, my favorite memory of the 84 games? gouging McDonalds for the gold, silver, bronze game that they had going. When the USSR backed out we all won so many free freaking big macs I was eating there for months.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:29 PM   #30
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Dara Torres did this, too.

There is a clever strategy involved here....

Dopers often use substances like the cream and the clear....illegal, but unknown, so not technically on a list of banned substances.

By volunteering for blood testing a few months ago, Dara was being shrewd.

If nothing comes up on the test, she can continue to use the designer dope without much fear.

If the test turns up the foreign substance, she can deny knowing how it got there and then simply get clean before the games. She won't be disciplined because the designer dope is not on the list of banned substances. Also, I believe I read that voluntary testing is not actionable.

It would be interesting to note whether Phelps asked for these tests this week or last month. I have no clue.

I hope he isnt a doper. After all, Spitz also broke 7 WRs in one week, and that was 27 years ago, when designer dope was likely tough to come by...so being clean is definitely possible.

But too many of them are smashing records this week.....no way they are all clean.

Wasnt there a Spanish cyclist who was busted this past week for doping in the Olympics?
Dara Torres also asked that they save her blood for any future tests that they come up with.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote