cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2008, 05:40 PM   #31
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

If you read the articles about the basketball team and the tennis team, they point out other major incidents of racism in sports, including the jeering and mocking of black athletes. Not just a few people, but thousands of people.

Isn't this PC attitude in America awful, where you can't chant "GO HOME NIGGER!" without some people getting upset?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:49 PM   #32
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
If you read the articles about the basketball team and the tennis team, they point out other major incidents of racism in sports, including the jeering and mocking of black athletes. Not just a few people, but thousands of people.

Isn't this PC attitude in America awful, where you can't chant "GO HOME NIGGER!" without some people getting upset?
Your over the top go for the extreme comment always amuses me. Thanks.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:56 PM   #33
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Your over the top go for the extreme comment always amuses me. Thanks.
you need to decide which side you are on. The side that stands for decency, or the side that says anything goes.

Your unholy alliance with Rocky leaves me queasy.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:24 PM   #34
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Putting aside racism and politics for a second....can someone explain to me why it is allegedly funny?

I love humor in all shapes and sizes and can appreciate a good joke as much as the next guy. I just don't get the humor.

Again, not saying it is offensive to me, but also pointing out that I don't get why it is funny.

The last time I laughed at that was sometime in elementary school....the old joke.....why do Chinese people have slanted eyes?.......then the person telling the joke would touch their temples, as though they were very stressed or frustrated...and they would say, "RICE AGAIN?!!"

These days I dont get the humor in it. It is just the shape of their eye. Why is it funny?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:28 PM   #35
A-Train

A-Train is on a distinguished road

3 days after the fiasco with the Spanish Basketball team in a horrible decision, another Spanish Team pulls this out? eeeeeeeeee

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/bei...urn=oly,100968
A-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:51 AM   #36
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
The next time somebody slants their eyes as a gesture of respect will be the first time.
This is more respectful:

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/pg...&photo=8428076

Swedes dressed in traditional qipao with their national colors. Good luck to the Swedes.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:20 AM   #37
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
The next time somebody slants their eyes as a gesture of respect will be the first time.
Exactly. It's been a mocking gesture for many, many years in this country at least. Oh, and I'm still amazed that people are taking the other side on this one.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:04 AM   #38
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Exactly. It's been a mocking gesture for many, many years in this country at least. Oh, and I'm still amazed that people are taking the other side on this one.
I'm not. It's the same people who would have hit the button immediately had they been in The Dark Knight movie situation.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:27 PM   #39
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Wow...

First, of course this is offensive. Second, and perhaps more importantly, this isn't funny. Unless you're my 7 yo son. Weird European humor run amok.

Thpaniardth are tho thtrange.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:01 PM   #40
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Wow...

First, of course this is offensive. Second, and perhaps more importantly, this isn't funny. Unless you're my 7 yo son. Weird European humor run amok.

Thpaniardth are tho thtrange.
Looks like the thpaniardth have been notorious for this kind of garbage, making monkey noises at Afro-Anglo soccer players.

Quote:
Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton was subjected to abuse at a Barcelona circuit in February, while former Spain coach Luis Aragones also used a racist remark about France striker Thierry Henry to motivate one of his players. Monkey chants rained down on England's black players during an international friendly against Spain in a match played in Madrid in 2004, soon after Aragones' outburst.