cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2008, 03:59 AM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Michael Phelps

He's Superman. What more can you say? That was stunning.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:05 AM   #2
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Even in watching the replay I think..."no way he's going to win" and then somehow...
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:36 AM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I was watching with bluegoose and we both thought he'd lost. Watching that replay, I still don't see how he did it. What a great finish.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:18 AM   #4
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I was watching with bluegoose and we both thought he'd lost. Watching that replay, I still don't see how he did it. What a great finish.
The protest was unsuccessful.

We replayed it over and over on slo-mo and my wife watched one lane while I watched the other. Each time, we would call out "touch" at the same time. Whomever really won/lost that race, it was my an eyelash.

Phelps deserves the karma. Dude has earned it.

Not to be premature, but unless they basically all break their legs tomorrow, there is no way they will lose the final medley.

8 Gold medals....16 total medals.

Mind boggling.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:33 PM   #5
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Greatest swim ever.

Here in CDT, we get to watch the evening races live. We were watching at my son's birthday party. As Phelps heads for the first wall in fifth, my parents said, "he's lost it. There's no way." And I said, "you watch - he's the best off the turns, he's a strong finisher, he'll will himself to victory if he has to." But even in spite of what I'd said to my parents, I still couldn't believe he actually pulled it off.

I'm now convinced that Lezak's miracle swim in the relay was because in true Jedi mind-control fashion, Michael simply pulled him to victory. He simply won't accept a second-place finish.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:12 PM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Here are some high-res photos taken from underneath the swimmers:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.1.html

You just can't get any closer than that. Amazing.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:23 PM   #7
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Here are some high-res photos taken from underneath the swimmers:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.1.html

You just can't get any closer than that. Amazing.
Holy cow. those are amazing pictures.

Nice that they are conclusive and that the team conceded the victory, thereby quashing any conspiracy theorists.

That literally looks like millimeters.

One thing I don't understand and that was not addressed very much......if the touchpad indicates that Phelps won, why is there ANY controversy? Is there a problem with the accuracy of the touchpad?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 08-16-2008, 07:27 PM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Holy cow. those are amazing pictures.

Nice that they are conclusive and that the team conceded the victory, thereby quashing any conspiracy theorists.

That literally looks like millimeters.

One thing I don't understand and that was not addressed very much......if the touchpad indicates that Phelps won, why is there ANY controversy? Is there a problem with the accuracy of the touchpad?
I am guessing that the coach thought maybe there was a malfunction of some sort that could be verified by a frame-by-frame analysis. If you watch the replay in real time, it is astonishing that Phelps touched first since he was so far behind when Cavic started his glide. I don't really blame the coach for raising the question.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:28 PM   #9
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Amazing race.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:33 PM   #10
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I am guessing that the coach thought maybe there was a malfunction of some sort that could be verified by a frame-by-frame analysis. If you watch the replay in real time, it is astonishing that Phelps touched first since he was so far behind when Cavic started his glide. I don't really blame the coach for raising the question.
You would think that the Olympics would require about 30 cameras on every finish line in every event.

I thought he lost, frankly. It was only after we slo-mo'd it on DVR that I came to the conclusion that it was "possible" that he won.

These pics seem pretty conclusive, but if you were to show 100 people pic #4 in that link and then ask them how much they would be willing to bet that the guy on the left actually wound up WINNING the race....I'd be shocked if you would find anyone willing to bet more than a buck or two on Phelps.

My post-Olympic prediction: this race will be the source for multiple Sacrament meeting talks/lessons on the importance of working hard/striving/etc until the very last second. There will inevitably a play on words referencing the Serb's attempt to simply "glide" into the finish, rather than giving the max effort.

PS on a side note, Cavic is from OC. Who knew?