cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2008, 03:58 AM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Why are there so many damn

events in swimming?

If they had 50 basketball events, Lebron would win at least eight.

Michael Phelps...who cares.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:18 AM   #2
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
events in swimming?

If they had 50 basketball events, Lebron would win at least eight.

Michael Phelps...who cares.
You'll be getting a knock on your door at about 3:14 am tomorrow morning. I suggest you pack you bags.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:19 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Boy am I sick of Michael Phelps. The "move over Mark Spitz" line was especially distasteful.

Please no more specials about Phelps.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:22 AM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

We get inundated every day and year with NFL and NBA, but a once in a three generation athlete comes along for his once every four year day in the light, and everybody's crying overexposure.

Americans are wimps when it comes to judging true sport. Go ahead drink you damn cheap beer and watch you f...ing baseball and basketball.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:23 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

btw, it was the announcer who said "move over" not Phelps himself.

Spitz was very gracious and articulate about Phelps. Phelps was nice to Spitz, but inarticulate. Spitz appears to be very intelligent. Phelps, not so much. But a good swimmer.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:24 AM   #6
myboynoah

I've loved how on several occasions the commentators have peppered Phelps with questions, trying to draw out some answer that will put in all into perspective. It's as if they are thinking, "Damn, he just did this amazing thing. He must also be some kind of new age philospher as well. Please Mike, give us the secrets to the universe."

Phelps responds with answers you would expect from a 20-something. A nation mourns.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:24 AM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
We get inundated every day and year with NFL and NBA, but a once in a three generation athlete comes along for his once every four year day in the light, and everybody's crying overexposure.

Americans are wimps when it comes to judging true sport. Go ahead drink you damn cheap beer and watch you f...ing baseball and basketball.
swimming has to be the easiest sport in the world to get a medal. They are competing against a truly TINY, TINY pool of people.

When I heard that my friend's sister had a shot at the olympics, I knew it was a joke. My friend has horrible athletic genes.

I'm thinking for this very reason I might get my kids into swimming. Best shot at "best athlete ever." LOL.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:27 AM   #8
myboynoah

I think I would target trampolin if one was looking for a favorably small pool of people against which to compete.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:40 AM   #9
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I am not tired of Phelps at all. I am happy to soak up the Phelps stuff. He has done an amazing thing this week.

Move over, Spitz, indeed. In fact, get completely out of the way because you are now history.

As for criticizing the questions that ask him to put it into perspective....What else are they supposed to ask him?

Spitz is also a bit jealous of Phelps, I would guess...

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/bei...yhoo&type=lgns

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:46 AM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

the idea that Phelps has surpassed Spitz is ridiculous.

That is like saying Barry Bonds is better than Hank Aaron.