cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2008, 05:51 AM   #31
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Poor me. I waddled out to the pool in junior high in that thing and thought I was lookign good. My mother only encouraged the perception. I was quickly disabused of the notion by the other guys in the pool, I assure you.
One solution to the temple-endowed swimming conundrum.....Speedo garments.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:55 AM   #32
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Besides basketball, I'd like to know which Olympic sports you think have significantly bigger pools of people. Thanks in advance.
I was thinking the opposite....swimming is one of the more difficult sports in which to medal.

The reason Phelps cannot express an insightful observation is because what he has done over the past 8 days is mind boggling.

The easiest way to know that Phelps is superior to Spitz...compare their times in similar events. Phelps would have blown away Spits head to head.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:04 AM   #33
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I was thinking the opposite....swimming is one of the more difficult sports in which to medal.
Well Mike is on his way to the games in London baby. It's going to be easy (after all his unathletic gened cousin "had a chance"). The talent pool is tiny. If only swimmers were competing against a talent pool as vast as those in rowing, fencing, badminton, gymnastics, equestrian, volleyball, beach volleyball, jujitsu, cycling, track cycling etc...
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:28 PM   #34
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

And while we're at it...what's with that Lance Armstrong guy? He's no Greg Lamond.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:14 PM   #35
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I am not tired of the Michael Phelps storyline. Its been very cool to see all three of my kids (ages 7, 5 and 2) get so excited about the Olympics this year. Phelps is to 2008 as Michael Jordan was to my junior high and high school years. Any young kid that is paying attention wants to be Michael Phelps.

That being said, I think its unfair to any other Olympic Athlete to call Michael Phelps the greatest Olympian ever. Yes, he has done something remarkable this year, but what are the options for an athlete in most any other sport? Is he a better Olympian than Jordan? How about Michael Johnson? Edwin Moses? Mohammed Ali? Jesse Owens?

Calling him the best Olympic swimmer of all time - maybe. But not the best Olympian.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:18 PM   #36
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Well Mike is on his way to the games in London baby. It's going to be easy (after all his unathletic gened cousin "had a chance"). The talent pool is tiny. If only swimmers were competing against a talent pool as vast as those in rowing, fencing, badminton, gymnastics, equestrian, volleyball, beach volleyball, jujitsu, cycling, track cycling etc...
Mike is just pissed that he can't swim for shit.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:24 PM   #37
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
I am not tired of the Michael Phelps storyline. Its been very cool to see all three of my kids (ages 7, 5 and 2) get so excited about the Olympics this year. Phelps is to 2008 as Michael Jordan was to my junior high and high school years. Any young kid that is paying attention wants to be Michael Phelps.

That being said, I think its unfair to any other Olympic Athlete to call Michael Phelps the greatest Olympian ever. Yes, he has done something remarkable this year, but what are the options for an athlete in most any other sport? Is he a better Olympian than Jordan? How about Michael Johnson? Edwin Moses? Mohammed Ali? Jesse Owens?

Calling him the best Olympic swimmer of all time - maybe. But not the best Olympian.
you are forgetting Carl Lewis. 9 gold medals, including 4 in the long jump.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:25 PM   #38
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
UteStar is in collusion with google to keep my glory unseen by the public.
Trust me, the public does not want to see your "glory" - please keep it unseen. Thanks.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:31 PM   #39
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to wear a speedo when I was on the swim team (at 13 years old). Not a good thing when I was sitting down waiting for my race, and the hottest girl on the swim team was standing in front of me and was adjusting her swimsuit so that I got an eyeful of something that a hormone-ravaged 13-year-old shouldn't be allowed to see [edit: i.e., pulled a Barbara Gordon], and then I had to go swim my event.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug

Last edited by SoCalCoug; 08-19-2008 at 04:35 PM.
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:50 PM   #40
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
Mike is just pissed that he can't swim for shit.
That is true, he is no Chad Johnson.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote