cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2007, 11:30 PM   #11
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Bynum has nowhere near the athleticism or potential of Oden or Howard.

He has a lot more refinement to his game than either of the others do, in terms offensive skill moves. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect 18 and 10 and 3 to 4 blocks out of him, with high percentage shooting and decent foul shooting, within two years. The others are more explosive that is true, but neither passes as well as Bynum, and neither has consistent range beyond 5 feet. And more should be expected of them than is expected of Bynum, but it's not apples to oranges.

Having pointed out the differences in Bynum's game, don't underell Bynum's athleticism. He is not going to step out and beat people off the dribble, but he has good end to end speed, and he is really a good, quick jumper, with a surprising ability to block shots.

As an aside just what is potential anyway? Is potential the ability to jump and quickness? Or is it those things and the ability to shoot, pass and generally develop your game? I would argue that those aspects of potential are often overlooked. This is why people like Darius Miles are always drafted and considered so highly or Dermarr Johnson(both drafted in the top 7 despite a total lack of discernible basketball skill) while Michael Redd, in the same draft drops to late in the second round.

I respect your basketball opinion so I'd like to hear what you think about this.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:14 AM   #12
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
Bynum and Oden are approximately the same age Bynum is three months older.
Bynum is 32 also?
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:17 AM   #13
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Bynum is 32 also?

SO Oden is younger than he looks, eh?
Old 04-12-2007, 12:20 AM   #14
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Bynum is 32 also?
LOL

I'd say more like 52.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:09 AM   #15
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
Gooden? Drew Gooden? Am I missing something there? Do you mean Dwight Howard?

And Bynum? Sorry... but he's not in the same class... Laker-lover.
I meant Howard. I was thinking Dwight and then Gooden just popped into my head.

And yes, Bynum is the real deal.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:31 AM   #16
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
I meant Howard. I was thinking Dwight and then Gooden just popped into my head.

And yes, Bynum is the real deal.
Bynum is a talent, I am not disagreeing there. But to put him on the same level as Dwight Howard is a little much. Howard is a beast, he's averaging 17 points and over 12 boards a game this year, playing in an Orlando offense that doesn't get him near enough touches. When you shoot 60% from the floor, you should get more than 10 shots per game. He is being vastly under utilized IMO.

Bynum has potential, but the kid is not in the same league as Howard, IMO. If I had my choice of the three bigs in this years draft, they would be, in order:

1) Howard
2) Oden
3) Bynum

1 and 2 are much closer than #3... and that's only because I haven't watched Oden much this year. He may slide ahead of Howard.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:40 AM   #17
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
Bynum is a talent, I am not disagreeing there. But to put him on the same level as Dwight Howard is a little much. Howard is a beast, he's averaging 17 points and over 12 boards a game this year, playing in an Orlando offense that doesn't get him near enough touches. When you shoot 60% from the floor, you should get more than 10 shots per game. He is being vastly under utilized IMO.

Bynum has potential, but the kid is not in the same league as Howard, IMO. If I had my choice of the three bigs in this years draft, they would be, in order:

1) Howard
2) Oden
3) Bynum

1 and 2 are much closer than #3... and that's only because I haven't watched Oden much this year. He may slide ahead of Howard.
I would put Oden ahead of Howard. I just don't think Howard has a lot of basketball skills. He is getting by on beastliness. That only goes so far.

But I would pick Bynum third. But the gap is not enormous.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:52 AM   #18
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Alright time for me to chime in here.

First of all you take Oden all day long and twice on sunday. No offense to Kevin Durrant who imo will turn out to be a great player, but one thing Durrant will never have that Oden does a 7 foot frame.

Please name (other than the Bulls with MJ) the last team to win an NBA title without a dominant center? If you can argue that Durrant will be as good as MJ then fine take Durrant, i dont think he is on that level so i take Oden.

Oden is a game changer he will come in to the NBA and immediately be first team all defense. He will be top 5 in blocks, and top 10 in rebounds. He does need to refine his offensive game a little more but his jump hook is solid.

Kevin Durrant on the other hand reminds me a lot of Tracy Mcgrady. He is a little taller than T-mac but has that type of offensive game. The knock on Durrant is he turns the ball over 3 times a game while only dishing out 1 assist. I know he is not a pg but that is not very good. He also does not play good defense yet.

I think Oden is a 18 and 12 guy in the NBA along with 3 blocks at least per game. While Durrant is a 20 and 10 guy. However Oden will alter a lot more shots and account for at least a 5-8 decrease in opponents scoring. So he becomes the more valuable player imo.

I agree with DD as well that Howard is getting by right now on pure power and athleticism, he gets tons of offensive rebounds and put backs, but has no back to the basket/post game what so ever. If he ever develops that part of his game some NBA records will fall.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:00 AM   #19
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Alright time for me to chime in here.

First of all you take Oden all day long and twice on sunday. No offense to Kevin Durrant who imo will turn out to be a great player, but one thing Durrant will never have that Oden does a 7 foot frame.

Please name (other than the Bulls with MJ) the last team to win an NBA title without a dominant center? If you can argue that Durrant will be as good as MJ then fine take Durrant, i dont think he is on that level so i take Oden.

Oden is a game changer he will come in to the NBA and immediately be first team all defense. He will be top 5 in blocks, and top 10 in rebounds. He does need to refine his offensive game a little more but his jump hook is solid.

Kevin Durrant on the other hand reminds me a lot of Tracy Mcgrady. He is a little taller than T-mac but has that type of offensive game. The knock on Durrant is he turns the ball over 3 times a game while only dishing out 1 assist. I know he is not a pg but that is not very good. He also does not play good defense yet.

I think Oden is a 18 and 12 guy in the NBA along with 3 blocks at least per game. While Durrant is a 20 and 10 guy. However Oden will alter a lot more shots and account for at least a 5-8 decrease in opponents scoring. So he becomes the more valuable player imo.

I agree with DD as well that Howard is getting by right now on pure power and athleticism, he gets tons of offensive rebounds and put backs, but has no back to the basket/post game what so ever. If he ever develops that part of his game some NBA records will fall.
I like your take. I will quibble with what you think about Durrant being a 20 and 10. I think that next year he is a 23 and 8 guy, dependent upon what team he is on (number of shots, etc.). But I still think that you take Oden.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:10 PM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Spurs won without a dominant center.

Pistons won with a very good defensive center, but lousy on the offense.

Mavs will win without a dominant center.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote