cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 05:33 PM   #11
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Just a question here, you don't think your preconceived notions about Ute fans could possibly be biasing your opinions do you. I believe that someone might have said something to you, I don't believe a whole section united to torment poor Sister BDB.

I guess I could apply your exaggerating thoughts to my experiences at LES and turn BYU fans into a tortilla throwing horde, that scream in the face of a guy holding his 2 year old son. Of course unlike you, I don't use the actions of one or two people to generalize about a whole group.
Weird, I don't remember saying it was the whole section. There weren't even enough people there to fill the whole section. It was just a few key individuals. There was one very nice yewt woman that came over to apologize for their behavior after the game.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:52 PM   #12
Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I'm sure I could come up with a few if I tried.

Did you and your brothers cheer for CSU in that game? Were you wearing CSU gear? Were you wearing BYU gear? Why would people throw things at you for doing nothing? Why not tell the entire story?

I don't believe any stories of Ute fans being treated as poorly as many claim they have been in LES if they didn't do something to provoke it. I believe the same about BYU fans being treated poorly in RES.

Are there fans in RES that act that way? Yes, there are and there are also some like that in LES; however those that act that way are in the vast minority.

My complaint is that you take one anecdotal experience in Dodger stadium and perhaps a few in RES and you come to the conclusion that fans of both teams are drunken boors.

FWIW, I'm no fan of the Dodgers, but you could have seen something like that in Camden yards and made the same comparison and I'd still feel the same.
I'm sorry, I thought that it was implied that I was wearing BYU gear. Otherwise why would I have been harrassed? We came straight up from a BYU game, so of course we were wearing our blue. I didn't realize that wearing blue into that stadium justified that kind of a reaction. We did cheer for CSU later on in the game, but if you go back and read what I wrote earlier you'll not that we were in our seats all of 5 minutes before the guy on the end freaked. We showed up during half-time the half-time show was still going, we weren't cheering for anyone or doing anything. Just sitting there. I don't think we were even talking to each other. It had been a hard day, we'd just lost to SDSU by one point. If it makes you feel better to believe that I must have done something to deserve having obscenities yelled at me, garbage thrown at me, and flipped off then far be it from me to stand in the way of you and that warm fuzzy feeling. You just go right no ahead and believe that.

I only have ONE experience from Dodger stadium. It's the only game I've been to, and I was unimpressed with the fans. Regardless of whether or not you think it SHOULD, the incidents last night were, FOR ME, reminiscent of some past experiences at RES. At no point in time did I conclude that all Dodger fans and yewt fans are "drunken boors." I merely concluded that there have been individuals in both venues that behaved in a very similar fashion.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:42 PM   #13
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been to several games at RES probably more than most BYU fans and as many as most Utefans. I have gone up there in all brown to cheer for Wyoming, all Green for CSU and all Blue for BYU and Airforce. However i have never had any huge incidents until this past year.

At the BYU-Utah game this past year after Harline caught the ball we ran down from the top towards the concourse and were jumping up and down on the concourse cheering when a guy threw a soda at us and it hit the old lady in front of us. Then as we stood on the railing getting ready to rush the field we had more things flung at us. I didnt mind i dont think anything could have ruined that moment.

Overall i would say utefans are good fans and they are just very passionate about their team and like most people hate to lose. However when you mix alcohol with that passion things happen. I know you cant drink in the stadium but a lot of people do.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:46 PM   #14
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
I don't believe this happened. It is funny how with as many games as I have gone to at RES, I have not seen things this bad.
I believe it. I see it everytime I go up to the BYU/Utah game up there.

Every time.

Of course it's with the very small minorities of fans mind you.

Everytime I'm up at Rice-Eccles...I hear "F BYU" everytime whether they're playing BYU or not. Of course this isn't just Yewt "fans" who say that either. When I was down at Thomas & Mack Center for the MWC Bball tournament I heard "F**K BYU" dozens of times. You just learn to tune it out and not let it bother you.

Every time. And I've probably been up to Rice Eccles stadium more times than you have in the past 3-4 years. I'm not making it up and BDB isn't one to deliberately lie and make something up to back herself up either. This past game during the 2nd quarter...my brother suddenly yelled. "Ouch...damn!" we turned around and there's a lady holding a ten dollar bill that said and I quote "Some guy just paid me this to come down and kick you." This was right after Eric Weddle threw his touchdown pass. My brother and I just looked at each, laughed and turned back around. We didn't take it seriously, but could have made an issue out of it if we'd wanted too.

Like Il Padrino says....fans of both sides of the rivalry engage in bone headed behavior.

I do believe that the level of crass and rude behavior up at the U is more mean spirited, because I believe their hatred for BYU is much stronger than the hatred BYU fans have for Utah.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 04-26-2007 at 07:54 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:17 PM   #15
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
I'm sorry, I thought that it was implied that I was wearing BYU gear. Otherwise why would I have been harrassed? We came straight up from a BYU game, so of course we were wearing our blue. I didn't realize that wearing blue into that stadium justified that kind of a reaction. We did cheer for CSU later on in the game, but if you go back and read what I wrote earlier you'll not that we were in our seats all of 5 minutes before the guy on the end freaked. We showed up during half-time the half-time show was still going, we weren't cheering for anyone or doing anything. Just sitting there. I don't think we were even talking to each other. It had been a hard day, we'd just lost to SDSU by one point. If it makes you feel better to believe that I must have done something to deserve having obscenities yelled at me, garbage thrown at me, and flipped off then far be it from me to stand in the way of you and that warm fuzzy feeling. You just go right no ahead and believe that.

I only have ONE experience from Dodger stadium. It's the only game I've been to, and I was unimpressed with the fans. Regardless of whether or not you think it SHOULD, the incidents last night were, FOR ME, reminiscent of some past experiences at RES. At no point in time did I conclude that all Dodger fans and yewt fans are "drunken boors." I merely concluded that there have been individuals in both venues that behaved in a very similar fashion.

Do you honestly think you could wear Ute gear at a BYU game and not get harassed, the answer is of course no. Everyday I wore Ute gear on campus at BYU I would have someone make a comment about it. There are individuals in your precious LES that behave in the same fashion as the Ute fans and Dodger fans you made comments about.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:38 PM   #16
Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Do you honestly think you could wear Ute gear at a BYU game and not get harassed, the answer is of course no. Everyday I wore Ute gear on campus at BYU I would have someone make a comment about it. There are individuals in your precious LES that behave in the same fashion as the Ute fans and Dodger fans you made comments about.
It was my first time in RES, I was minding my own business, and being unfamiliar with the way things work up that way I naively believed that I could go up there and not have full-grown men lose their cool just seeing us in BYU gear. I figured we'd get the cold shoulder from fans, probably a few remarks, even the bird a few times. They exceeded my expectations, and continue to do so. I know better now. I think part of my problem with the yewt fans is that there are usually only a few real over the top jerks, but in a crowd of yewts there's rarely anyone that tells the jerk to sit down and get a grip. They all just sit there in silent support, and I guess they feel like we deserved it because after all "you wore BYU gear, what did you expect?"

Allow me to offer my sincere apologies for the last time a BYU fan screamed the f-word at you for sporting yewt gear at a game, or threw their garbage at you, or flipped you off for it, and my apologies for the last time you got to view a cougar backside at a game. IMO it was entirely uncalled for and they're an embarrassment to the rest of us that try and be decent people.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:44 PM   #17
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Funk, are you a Dodger fan?

Geeze two reasons to say you suck!
Old 04-26-2007, 08:48 PM   #18
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Funk, are you a Dodger fan?
I believe he is an A's fan, not sure why except they are the coolest. Man those were fun games to go to as a kid. Loved the bleacher seats.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:51 AM   #19
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
I believe he is an A's fan, not sure why except they are the coolest. Man those were fun games to go to as a kid. Loved the bleacher seats.
Their is nothing better on this earth then bleacher seats at an As game they used to be like 3 bucks. I caught a Kirby Pucket homerun ball at a game once.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:18 AM   #20
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post

When you say "Dodger fans remind me of Ute fans", how am I to know that you only mean a few fans? Be specific. It's not my fault you don't communicate well.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote