cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 02:24 AM   #21
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
It was my first time in RES, I was minding my own business, and being unfamiliar with the way things work up that way I naively believed that I could go up there and not have full-grown men lose their cool just seeing us in BYU gear. I figured we'd get the cold shoulder from fans, probably a few remarks, even the bird a few times. They exceeded my expectations, and continue to do so. I know better now. I think part of my problem with the yewt fans is that there are usually only a few real over the top jerks, but in a crowd of yewts there's rarely anyone that tells the jerk to sit down and get a grip. They all just sit there in silent support, and I guess they feel like we deserved it because after all "you wore BYU gear, what did you expect?"

Allow me to offer my sincere apologies for the last time a BYU fan screamed the f-word at you for sporting yewt gear at a game, or threw their garbage at you, or flipped you off for it, and my apologies for the last time you got to view a cougar backside at a game. IMO it was entirely uncalled for and they're an embarrassment to the rest of us that try and be decent people.
Perhaps there's rare a Ute fan that will tell someone to quit hassling you because they feel you brought it on yourself. In all of your negative experiences with Ute fans, you are the common denominator.

When I see cretins treating any visiting fan poorly, I will step in and tell them to knock it off if they were unprovoked. But if the visiting fan does anything to provoke it, that visiting fan is on his/her own.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:28 AM   #22
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I do believe that the level of crass and rude behavior up at the U is more mean spirited, because I believe their hatred for BYU is much stronger than the hatred BYU fans have for Utah.
I'll agree with this only if you're talking about the morons who show up at RES every other November and no other times.

If your talking about fans that are there on a consistent basis, then I disagree. I think the hatred for the rival is equal on both sides amongst the true fans of either team. It's just easier to recognize your rival's hatred of you.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:18 AM   #23
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I'll agree with this only if you're talking about the morons who show up at RES every other November and no other times.

If your talking about fans that are there on a consistent basis, then I disagree. I think the hatred for the rival is equal on both sides amongst the true fans of either team. It's just easier to recognize your rival's hatred of you.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I've been to my rivals stadium Rice Eccles many more times than you've been to LES and having said that my experience regarding this topic is obviously a lot more.

It should be said when I go to Rice-Eccles the only time I wear BYU gear is when they play BYU. Otherwise I wear neutral gang colors and without fail everytime I witness some kind of behavior that's been described previously. Every single time without fail I hear the "F**K BYU" lines whether they play BYU or not. My brother has been a season ticket holder for many years up there and he hates it too, and like you will tell someone to shut up if they get out of line.

He even requested to have his season tickets changed to a new location in the stadium because the people sitting by him were so vulgar and refused to acknowledge that he has his boys with him and he didn't want them subjected to that behavior at every home game.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 04-27-2007 at 04:47 AM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 05:16 AM   #24
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

I'll concede to your experience at RES, as I've only been to LES one time when the Cougars were not playing Utah since I was a kid (The game against Tulane in Crowton's first year.)

Still, I'll go to my grave believing that those of whom you speak are not Ute fans. Some may be season ticket holders, but I'd guess if you asked them who the Utes were playing, they wouldn't have any idea.

Old 04-27-2007, 02:39 PM   #25
RockyBalboa

Quote:
I'll concede to your experience at RES, as I've only been to LES one time when the Cougars were not playing Utah since I was a kid (The game against Tulane in Crowton's first year.)

Still, I'll go to my grave believing that those of whom you speak are not Ute fans. Some may be season ticket holders, but I'd guess if you asked them who the Utes were playing, they wouldn't have any idea.
I agree they aren't Ute fans. They are Yewt "fans". Big difference.

I hope you know too, that in no way, am I trying to lump you, the funkster or the other U fans on here who post into the group of fans talked about in this thread because I know you guys aren't like that.

I sat next to a really cool Ute fan the whole MWC Tourney in Vegas. He had his kid with him. When BYU played UNLV, a fan two rows behind started in immediately with the "F**K BYU" and "F**K Mormons" crap that I hear in every opposing stadium I go too. The little lady in front me...maybe 5 foot nothin, wearing her BYU Hat, bounded over the rows and got in this guys face and told him to shut it, that she has her family with her,,,,this arrogant ahole responds..."Turn the F**K around lady.".....dude...the Ute fan sitting next to me....LOL...you should have seen his reaction, he whips around puts a finger in this guys face and goes...."Hey dick...my kid is with me, I hate BYU too, but I'm a Mormon, and just because you're a dick and a bigot doesn't give you the right to be an asshole, so shut the hell up." That punk was quiet the rest of the game....and I'm thinking...cool...and when I turned around halfway through the 2nd half he was gone and the other fans sitting around him, you could tell they were glad he was gone.

I'm surprised how vulgar UNLV fans are. I know Wyoming fans have the worst reputations in the league, but UNLV Bball fans might be #1 in my book.

lol...it was awesome and he was cool.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 04-27-2007 at 02:44 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:47 PM   #26
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I agree they aren't Ute fans. They are Yewt "fans". Big difference.

I hope you know too, that in no way, am I trying to lump you, the funkster or the other U fans on here who post into the group of fans talked about in this thread because I know you guys aren't like that.

I sat next to a really cool Ute fan the whole MWC Tourney in Vegas. He had his kid with him. When BYU played UNLV, a fan two rows behind started in immediately with the "F**K BYU" and "F**K Mormons" crap that I hear in every opposing stadium I go too. The little lady in front me...maybe 5 foot nothin, wearing her BYU Hat, bounded over the rows and got in this guys face and told him to shut it, that she has her family with her,,,,this arrogant ahole responds..."Turn the F**K around lady.".....dude...the Ute fan sitting next to me....LOL...you should have seen his reaction, he whips around puts a finger in this guys face and goes...."Hey dick...my kid is with me, I hate BYU too, but I'm a Mormon, and just because you're a dick and a bigot doesn't give you the right to be an asshole, so shut the hell up." That punk was quiet the rest of the game....and I'm thinking...cool...and when I turned around halfway through the 2nd half he was gone and the other fans sitting around him, you could tell they were glad he was gone.

I'm surprised how vulgar UNLV fans are. I know Wyoming fans have the worst reputations in the league, but UNLV Bball fans might be #1 in my book.

lol...it was awesome and he was cool.

Not to hijack- but I've often wondered what the world would be like if situations like this were handled like they are handled in the WWE...I'd love to see a guy like this get a Stunner, Rock Bottom, or some sweet chin music...wouldn't it be grand?

Ahh the memories.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:23 PM   #27
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
Not to hijack- but I've often wondered what the world would be like if situations like this were handled like they are handled in the WWE...I'd love to see a guy like this get a Stunner, Rock Bottom, or some sweet chin music...wouldn't it be grand?

Ahh the memories.
Feel free to hi-jack away. You know me....the ultimate WWE geek (wow that's just sad).

Personally I think it would be hilarious to see someone with the verbal beat down skills of The Rock come out and layeth the smacketh down on his Candy Ass.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:47 PM   #28
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Perhaps there's rare a Ute fan that will tell someone to quit hassling you because they feel you brought it on yourself. In all of your negative experiences with Ute fans, you are the common denominator.

When I see cretins treating any visiting fan poorly, I will step in and tell them to knock it off if they were unprovoked. But if the visiting fan does anything to provoke it, that visiting fan is on his/her own.
You don't read well do you?
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:07 PM   #29
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Honestly, I don't think anyone who cheers for any team should ever have to endure this kind of behavior ever.

There seems to be a prevailing thought among sporting event/concert ticket buyers/goers that purchasing a ticket to said event gives that individual license to essentially do whatever they want. This is infact not true.

When I worked security at the DC, we had to frequently remind patrons that even though they thought they could do and say whatever they wanted, they were in fact obligated to behave appropriately. When we were met with doubt, we showed them the back of their ticket stub, which contains language that describes what fans can or cannot do or at the very least, lets them know that they can be asked to leave the premisis if their behavior doesn't improve.

I never quite understood why someone would pay so much money to go to a concert or game and be gone by halftime...it just never made sense. Add to that any resistance, and the patron is banned from the premisis for an extended period of time.

There were a number of times at the DC when I had to step inbetween two Goliaths who could have very well killed me if they wanted to. Fortunately in those instances, cooler heads prevailed...the Laker/Jazz games and the Kiss/Aerosmith concerts were the worst.

That kind of behavior is uncalled for and should not be tolerated and unfortunately, happens all to frequently these days.

It is really unfortunate that you had a poor experience up on the hill.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:58 PM   #30
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Their is nothing better on this earth then bleacher seats at an As game they used to be like 3 bucks. I caught a Kirby Pucket homerun ball at a game once.
I remember going and seeing Reggie Jackson hit on of the last HRs of his career.
The bleachers aren't the same anymore, I miss them.