cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 07:06 PM   #21
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Could it be in part because Rose "coming clean" has occurred in a 25 part series with each series involving an additional denial of something that he will inevitably admit later on?
There's no question that the way he has provided the information (to sell a book, to get in the hall of fame, to get back in baseball etc...) plays a role in the lack of forgiveness we're seeing, but even so, nothing would've been enough IMO, for the baseball writers because they are "purists" and wouldn't let Rose taint the "good name" of baseball.

It's the same way with this steroids thing. Canseco thought that by writing a book, he would get back in baseball's good graces. Didn't happen. There is no benefit to coming clean for these guys if the assumption is that they are guilty anyway.

If Baseball writers are going to keep McGuire and Bonds out of the HOF without any proof (hard evidence, their names being linked by credible sources etc...) then what benefit does an admission have for any of these guys?

My guess is that guys like Pete Rose will be put in the Hall of Fame long after he, and all the "purist" writers that are keeping him out are dead.

The steroid era ball players may be going down that same road.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:19 PM   #22
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Let me weigh in on this with my theory. First of all i saw Barry in person on Friday, i had front row seats down the left field line he was about 15 feet from me the whole game. Fans in San Francisco love the man, standing ovation every time. My guess is the Giants will sit him so that he can break the record at home.

Now the steroid era. After the strike in 1994 baseball was losing fans very quickly. Teams were going bankrupt and their was talks of possible contraction. Over the next 5 years nothing exciting was happening in the sport. It only got worse in 1997 when Florida bought a world series and then dismantled their team the next year.

So the players decided to take it upon themselves to bring fans back to the game and what do fans love the see? Homeruns. They started juicing. It started with just the big sluggers, Mcgwire, Bonds, Sosa. No one would have said anything they could have sailed in to the sunset, broke all sorts of records etc etc if it was only the big name players.

But then players like Bret Boone, Brady Anderson, Steve Finley, Luis Gonzalez start hitting 50 homeruns in a season, this raises some serious suspicion. But baseball lets it continue and turns their back because attendance is climbing, the game is becoming interesting again, then in 1998 we get the Mcgwire vs Sosa homerun race that captures the nations attention and brings baseball completely back.

In 2001 Ken Caminiti who is a former MVP comes out and says that he did steroids and so did plenty of other players. This happens right in the middle of Bonds homerun chase to catch Mcgwire and break 70. This raises some suspicion and a few people start digging deeper. Baseball quickly sweeps it under the rug with all the September 11th festivities and a great World Series between New York and Arizona. No one really brings it up for a few years.

Then you get the whole BALCO bust, Cansecos book and Caminitis death. Everything surfaces and baseball doesnt have a choice but to intervene. So to stay attractive in the public eye they throw the players taht brought baseball back to its glory days under the bus. Mcgwire retires, Palmeiro cant find a team to play for, Sosa is even gone for a few years.

They were hoping by getting rid of these players everything would once again go away. Well Barry Bonds is stubborn and he wouldnt ride off in to the sunset like the rest of them. He realizes what he has the potential to do, and he hangs around. He is now approaching the most sacred record in all of sports. Baseball tried to get him to go away before it happened and he wouldnt so then they tried to ignore him, saying they wont do anything for him when he breaks it, Hank Aaron wont be there eventhough when Mcgwire broke Maris record Rogers kids were there.

My guess is because Bonds wont go away and that it is inevitable Hanks record will fall they will eventually start to embrace the fact that he is the new Homerun King, they will realize that people tune in to Sportscenter just to see if Barry hit another homerun. Whether you like him or not people are following the chase, whether you think he deserves it or not you know exactly how many homeruns he is away from the record.

Baseball will once again capitalize on this, Barry will ride off in to the sunset after this year as the new homerun king. The steroid investigation will miracalously go away and the league will start embracing A-rod, Pujols and Howard as its next trio of superstars.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:06 PM   #23
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Baseball players are too lazy to do what I do through work.

Hitting a curveball is not the result solely of work, but a kinesthetic ability which I cannot acquire and have no desire to acquire.

I much prefer the hand eye coordination of tennis players or hockey players who incorporate both hand eye coordination and fitness.

I detest the lack of fitness in baseball. Any sport that could have Fernando Valenzuela as a star is no sport.

Sprinters are fun to watch but not much to admire. They don't have to work, as I mostly admire people who must work for what they have, but not those who only rely upon God's gift to them.

Now, Nolan Ryan and Roger Clemens have long careers because they work hard. That does not represent the bulk of baseball players.

Just because God gave you unnatural hand-eye coordination, I'm supposed to be impressed.

Look at a tennis player, they have incredible moving hand eye coordination but have to be able to move. Or a hockey player also needs fitness and physical toughness.

Baseball players who employ fitness routines will go further because so many rely simply upon natural abilities and don't have to work hard. So a sport that rewards loafers is not my cup of tea.
I agree with Il Padrino. You're full of crap.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:08 PM   #24
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
I agree with Il Padrino. You're full of crap.
Baseball was a sport for a different era. I hope it dies. Long live soccer, football, rugby, cycling, skiing, and many other great sports. Death to the game of the 20s.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:46 PM   #25
cougjunkie

Quote:
Baseball was a sport for a different era. I hope it dies. Long live soccer, football, rugby, cycling, skiing, and many other great sports. Death to the game of the 20s.
Just so you know the first machine to ever look like a bicycle was invented in 1690, and the bicycle as we know it today was invented in 1816.

Baseball was not invented until 1839 almost 23 years later.

So maybe cycling needs to die out.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:22 PM   #26
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You're not a real intellectual. Baseball is the game of choice for bookish fans.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:35 PM   #27
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Just so you know the first machine to ever look like a bicycle was invented in 1690, and the bicycle as we know it today was invented in 1816.

Baseball was not invented until 1839 almost 23 years later.

So maybe cycling needs to die out.
Cycling makes us look fit and is fun.

Baseball caters to beer bellies and catcalls at umpires.

Cycling is our back to nature call.

Baseball is our outhouse call.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:35 PM   #28
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
You're not a real intellectual. Baseball is the game of choice for bookish fans.
Yep havent you seen Field of Dreams. Terence Mann loved baseball.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:36 PM   #29
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Rocky's the only one who ever called me an intellectual. It's the first and only time the label has been bestowed upon me. I imagine it will be the last.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:41 PM   #30
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Rocky's the only one who ever called me an intellectual. It's the first and only time the label has been bestowed upon me. I imagine it will be the last.
Rocky calls you an "intellectual," not an intellectual. I am merely suggesting that on your quest for knowledge, you consider the ultimate game of strategy.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote