cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2007, 03:59 AM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default So let me get this straight...

Elbowing a man in the head- fine.
Body slamming a player to the ground- fine.
Kneeing a player in the groin- fine.
Taking 3 steps towards your star player who just got crushed and then doing nothing- 1 game suspension.

Sounds about right.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:03 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Elbowing a man in the head- fine.
Body slamming a player to the ground- fine.
Kneeing a player in the groin- fine.
Taking 3 steps towards your star player who just got crushed and then doing nothing- 1 game suspension.

Sounds about right.
Congratulations! You've just passed David Stern's "The NBA my way" course.

You should receive your certificate in the mail soon.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:05 AM   #3
Cali Coug

And then there is this gem from the NBA:

The Suns countered by saying that Duncan and Bruce Bowen were guilty of a similar leaving-the-bench offense in Game 4's first half when San Antonio's Francisco Elson fell on the Suns' James Jones after a dunk. That play was also reviewed, but Jackson -- while conceding that Duncan "should not have been on the playing court" -- said that the league determined there was "no cause for the suspension rule" to be applied because the Elson-Jones tangle was not deemed to be an altercation.

Elson-Jones=tangle
Nash-Horry=altercation.

All the NBA has done is make the series MORE dangerous for the players and INCREASE the likelihood of a serious fight.

If I were the Suns, I would put in 1-2 players deep on the bench and have them blatantly foul Duncan right in front of the Spurs bench. Heck, they should launch Duncan straight into Popovich. That would be guaranteed to get the entire bench to step forward 3 feet and get them all suspended. The Suns player would then get 2 games (and he wouldn't be missed anyways).

Well done, Stern. Well done.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:11 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
And then there is this gem from the NBA:

The Suns countered by saying that Duncan and Bruce Bowen were guilty of a similar leaving-the-bench offense in Game 4's first half when San Antonio's Francisco Elson fell on the Suns' James Jones after a dunk. That play was also reviewed, but Jackson -- while conceding that Duncan "should not have been on the playing court" -- said that the league determined there was "no cause for the suspension rule" to be applied because the Elson-Jones tangle was not deemed to be an altercation.

Elson-Jones=tangle
Nash-Horry=altercation.

All the NBA has done is make the series MORE dangerous for the players and INCREASE the likelihood of a serious fight.

If I were the Suns, I would put in 1-2 players deep on the bench and have them blatantly foul Duncan right in front of the Spurs bench. Heck, they should launch Duncan straight into Popovich. That would be guaranteed to get the entire bench to step forward 3 feet and get them all suspended. The Suns player would then get 2 games (and he wouldn't be missed anyways).

Yep. The NBA is all about protecting it's superstars and thus protecting the leagues cash cows. Absolutely appalling.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:11 AM   #5
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

The thing that bothers me the most about these suspensions/nonsuspensions is that they have taken away from a great NBA postseason. At a time when the NBA should really be promoting the great games, the league messed it up with silly decisions.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:44 AM   #6
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:

This is exactly right. The NBA has slowly devolved into thug-ball, and this is one of the chief reasons why.

Oh, but they have to wear suits in the off-season, and NO MORE MEDALLIONS! Great thinking, Stern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Yep. The NBA is all about protecting it's superstars and thus protecting the leagues cash cows. Absolutely appalling.
Appalling, but not that surprising.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 03:54 PM   #7
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Kenny Smith said it best on TNT- He said the NBA has to suspend Amare and Diaw otherwise they will never be able to enforce the leaving the bench rule again. It doesnt matter the magnitude of the game you cant pick and choose your spots. Miami lost a series in 1997 (the van gundy leg grab game) because they had players leave the bench and could only dress 6 guys for the next game.

Phoenix is grasping at straws if they are trying to point out that Duncan left the bench. I dont like the rule but if the rule is there Amare and Diaw both broke it. At least Diaw caught himself and went back to the bench Amare had to be restrained.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:02 PM   #8
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Kenny Smith said it best on TNT- He said the NBA has to suspend Amare and Diaw otherwise they will never be able to enforce the leaving the bench rule again. It doesnt matter the magnitude of the game you cant pick and choose your spots. Miami lost a series in 1997 (the van gundy leg grab game) because they had players leave the bench and could only dress 6 guys for the next game.

Phoenix is grasping at straws if they are trying to point out that Duncan left the bench. I dont like the rule but if the rule is there Amare and Diaw both broke it. At least Diaw caught himself and went back to the bench Amare had to be restrained.
The rule needs to be revised. As I said above, Stern has only incentivized teams to flagrantly foul an opposing player right in front of that team's bench, because the odds of multiple people coming onto the court from 3 feet away is ridiculously high if you foul someone hard enough.

All Stern has done is reward Horry's behavior and possibly given the Spurs the series or, alternatively, encouraged the Suns to play dirty and get as many Spurs' players as possible ejected in the process.

Last edited by Cali Coug; 05-16-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:53 PM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post

Grasping at straws? Duncan did leave the bench. Under the rule, he should be suspended from the next game, but the league decided not to enforce the rule.

Why?

Old 05-16-2007, 05:37 PM   #10
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Grasping at straws? Duncan did leave the bench. Under the rule, he should be suspended from the next game, but the league decided not to enforce the rule.

Why?
I haven't seen Duncan leave the bench. Did he leave the bench and step onto the floor? I think the rule is you can't step onto the court. But I haven't seen video of Duncan, just Diaw and Amare.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote